Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Racism in University of Leeds - Brexit starts to be felt in Universities' decisions? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Some of you need to learn the difference between racism and xenophobia; it's embarrassing seeing people think that you can be ''racist'' to europeans as, surprise surprise, they are also caucasian just like brits.

I see no racism/xenophobia here, just jumping to conclusions.
    Perhaps the black Parisians and Lomdoners feel they are European also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theplace)
    Perhaps the black Parisians and Lomdoners feel they are European also.
    Somehow I don't quite think they're who the OP had in mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    So basically the op wants people given things because of where they are born

Sounds fair. I've been given 2 economic recessions because I was born in this **** hole.

(Original post by DorianGrayism)
    "I don't want any workers from Nigeria applying to a Job at my company," *You don't think that is racist?
    People try really hard to pretend that racism doesn't exist. It's weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Sounds fair. I've been given 2 economic recessions because I was born in this **** hole.

People try really hard to pretend that racism doesn't exist. It's weird.
    If it's such a **** hole why are you still here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joecphillips)
    If it's such a **** hole why are you still here?
    Because I don't have enough money to leave. Like I said, 2 recessions...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Because I don't have enough money to leave. Like I said, 2 recessions...
    Plenty of people have made the money to leave despite the recession, maybe you should do something about it rather than complain.

ReputationRep:
    One particular award isn't there yet. Maybe it will have more EU citizens in it? And perhaps some have turned it down?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Zadkiel)
    Fee Scholarship and Santander Scholarship were aimed at UK and EU applicants, however, only British students were awarded these scholarships (with exception to one Greek Student and one Russian Student (UK? EU?) as seen at: http://scholarships.leeds.ac.uk/Show...spx?type=UK/EUBREXIT Effects and racism towards EU students starting to appear in British Universities?
    You do realise racism is based on someones race/ehnicity? They arent being racist.

You believe the scholarships have been unfairly awarded? If you have evidence then you should contact the university and tell them of the abuse.

Do you know how many EU candidates there were and how many from the UK.
    Do you know the quality of the UK candidates?

Is it possible there were substantually more UK candidates and the ones at the top this year were better than the ones from the UK or do you just lijke to accuse people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zadkiel)
    Fee Scholarship and Santander Scholarship were aimed at UK and EU applicants, however, only British students were awarded these scholarships (with exception to one Greek Student and one Russian Student (UK? EU?) as seen at: http://scholarships.leeds.ac.uk/Show...spx?type=UK/EUBREXIT Effects and racism towards EU students starting to appear in British Universities?
    Maybe because Scholarships are not entirely dependent on what EU country you come from?

Results and background probably factor in a lot more, and maybe the British students (which could have been Indian/Chinese/black British) for all you know where a lot more deserving than the EU students that missed out.

I think Racism has very little to do with it here, so please feel free to correct me.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.