Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone interested in learning to program in Python over the summer?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest a route of HTML/CSS ---> Python ---> Ruby ----> C++/C# ---> Java

With those range of languages you'd become very comfortable with coding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieran1996)
    I'd suggest a route of HTML/CSS ---> Python ---> Ruby ----> C++/C# ---> Java

With those range of languages you'd become very comfortable with coding
    Hmm, I'd suggest c-sharp -> c++ -> c++ with a math library (Eigen, uBlas, ATLAS etc..) -> python/matlab/octave/r

html/css/xaml/javascript/sql could be done along the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Hmm, I'd suggest c-sharp -> c++ -> c++ with a math library (Eigen, uBlas, ATLAS etc..) -> python/matlab/octave/r

html/css/xaml/javascript/sql could be done along the way.
    very true, by suggestion that's just the route I ended up on over time, mainly because I was learning the stuff in my free time (which I didn't have much of) so I just learnt things at random times but in the end it seemed to work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    im game!

iv done HTML coding before. id like to continue
    Cool Madame game! You'll find a link to the PDF I am using somewhere in page 2.

ReputationRep:
    Im currently learning Python

ReputationRep:
    What about Java?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Cool Madame game! You'll find a link to the PDF I am using somewhere in page 2.
    ok thanks!
    iv only done it to a really basic level but id like to continue

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    ok thanks!
    iv only done it to a really basic level but id like to continue
    The PDF I posted starts from the very beginning. Post your daily progress here whenever you start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieran1996)
    very true, by suggestion that's just the route I ended up on over time, mainly because I was learning the stuff in my free time (which I didn't have much of) so I just learnt things at random times but in the end it seemed to work
    xD I started pretty scattered with basic-> action script-> max-script->javascript
    until I started to learn c-sharp.

I would say c-sharp is the best language for a newcomer although it might be heavy on syntax as just a simple calculator is enough to form a general understanding of core programming principles.
    Most high level languages I feel simplify too much to be good learning tools
    For instance one might write a javascript program with 'var declaration' and not know the difference between int, double & float.

ReputationRep:
    The PDF I posted starts from the very beginning. Post your daily progress here whenever you start.
    cool! il go find it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    xD I started pretty scattered with basic-> action script-> max-script->javascript
    until I started to learn c-sharp.

I would say c-sharp is the best language for a newcomer although it might be heavy on syntax as just a simple calculator is enough to form a general understanding of core programming principles.
    Most high level languages I feel simplify too much to be good learning tools
    For instance one might write a javascript program with 'var declaration' and not know the difference between int, double & float.
    I agree, some of the high levels ones can be bad for learning initially

Also forgot I did learn VBA before Python

My updated suggestions for learning is:

VBA/VB ----> C++/C# ---> HTML/CSS ---> Python ---> Ruby ---> Java

ReputationRep:
    when we starting then lads?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdmiralAckbarkek)
    when we starting then lads?
    Right now Get the PDF from page 2, and post your daily updates here.

ReputationRep:
    NOICE ok cool

ReputationRep:
    Count me in

ReputationRep:
    decent textbook

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I think people should start with C, it's really good for learning the internals of computers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    The internet is your friend.

You can find books on it, videos, tutorials. There's loads.

If you prefer it being hands on, then try codecademy. It's a good place to learn the basics and syntax etc.

I'd also recommend MITOpenCourseware lectures in programming. They use python to introduce you to computer science concepts
    If anyone wants to learn python or improve their skills use this website:Computer Science Circles | 01000011 01010011 01000011

Honestly it is the best website for learning programming as it uses your problem solving and logical thinking skills, whereas codeacdemy teaches you how to memorize not applying your knowledge

ReputationRep:
    Can we also do that if we need help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    Can we also do that if we need help?
    Certainly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.