Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Yes, and DC and Osborne woefully mismanaged the recovery, choking it with austerity. They were wet behind the ears, unlike the Labour top team who had all had 20 years of experience with the state finances and advanced qualifications in economics.

Thatcher was also quite a neophyte and she did the exact same thing 1979-81.

The sort of economic dogmas Tories believe in make them completely unfit to lead the country, particularly when times are tough.
    I don't disagree, but the arguments being made against Leadsom now were not made against Cameron in 2005 or 2010
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by TercioOfParma)
    Hopefully Leadsom, she has a good CV
    Hilarious. You should do stand-up. I'd pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    These are not 'unbelievably turbulent' times, that's ridiculous. Brexit will take several years, much of the current EU infrastructure will be effectively retained and the economic situation is comparable if not preferable today than in 2010 when we were in recession and were just emerging from the worst financial crash in decades. DC walked in with no experience of government whatsoever and only four and a half years experience as an MP. Leadsom has been an MP for over 6 years and has been in government for over a year.
    These are uncertain times RN, but in the very near future it will be chaos. Farage has even admitted it - and he's glad about it.

DC was leader of the opposition for 5 years and a shadow frontbencher for around half a year. Leadsom meanwhile has been a member of the government for a year. Their experiences are not comparable - DC had far more experience. Also, DC had been an MP since 2001 when he became PM.

ReputationRep:
    1) members don't want another thatcher, most members are one nation conservatives

2) Theresa was a eurosceptic but she had to put her differences aside because she knew the tough implications for the economy and in the end decided to barely back remain so she's got a position in between and as we know playing the center ground wins big

ReputationRep:
    I don't disagree, but the arguments being made against Leadsom now were not made against Cameron in 2005 or 2010
    That's probably because the press were overwhelmingly supportive of our having a Tory government, so they didn't push criticism of him.

My point is that Leadsom is an order of magnitude less experienced than Cameron/Osborne were in 2010, and yet still Cameron and Osborne managed to bugger it up.

ReputationRep:
    And how many of those meetings did he attend? Not an excessive number to be sure

I really do not see how attending privy council meetings makes someone more suited to making these sorts of decisions. If MPs are good enough to be making and voting on legislation, of things like going to war in the first place, then they should also surely be good enough to select one of three sensible directives in the event of a nuclear holocaust. I think the gravity of that eventuality belies the simplicity of the decision PMs have to make in response to it
    But I don't think many MPs in this day and age actually are of that calibre, no matter what they "should" be.

I don't think privy councils and security briefings are anything like the be all and end all either, I took it up because we were making an issue of them. To the extent that they are important, Leadsom is that much less fit than Cameron was to lead the country.

ReputationRep:
    If government could ever claim efficiency it would be choosing a new leader and prime minister in a matter of ten days! If Amber Rudd, Secretary for Energy, Leadsom's boss say's she is not up to it then that is pretty damning.

Amber Rudd would be more suited for having more experience and reached a cabinet role and seeing Leadsom's position might have wanted to have gone in for the leadership herself.

From watching on BBC news today I would say May is the next Prime Minister and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oShahpo)
    Jesus Christ on a Pedalo, elites elites elites elites elites, I am sick of this word!
    There is nothing wrong with Oxbridge elitism, they went there because they were intelligent and hardworking from day 1, what's wrong with that? Yea definitely don't limit the choice to Oxbridge graduates, but the idea that people who go to Oxbridge are some sort of elites that do not represent us is utter tripe.
    You misunderstood my point. I've heard some people complaining about Leadsom graduating from Warwick saying she is not qualified enough and it baffles me.
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    You mean Leadsom. Well, obviously May's geography degree puts her in excellent stead to run the country
    The popular choice is PPE!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanCream)
    You misunderstood my point. I've heard some people complaining about Leadsom graduating from Warwick saying she is not qualified enough and it baffles me.

The popular choice is PPE!
    Well yea, Warwick is a great university.

ReputationRep:
    Well yea, Warwick is a great university.
    I know this, I'm starting there in October

ReputationRep:
    I know this, I'm starting there in October
    It's no Exeter though :P

ReputationRep:
    It's no Exeter though :P
    I turned down Exeter, not a very interesting place for me! (Ironic, seeing as Warwickshire is LOVELY GREEN).

ReputationRep:
    I turned down Exeter, not a very interesting place for me! (Ironic, seeing as Warwickshire is LOVELY GREEN).
    London South Bank > all.

ReputationRep:
    London South Bank > all.
    Why would you ruin my night by saying that?

ReputationRep:
    Why would you ruin my night by saying that?
    Sorry to ruin to your aspirations mate, you tried hard enough but you're no LSB material.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to ruin to your aspirations mate, you tried hard enough but you're no LSB material.
    Guess I should have worked harder with 'dem GCSEZ's.

ReputationRep:
    Guess I should have worked harder with 'dem GCSEZ's.
    Innit?

ReputationRep:
    Innit?
    You know them 'tings bluddar.

ReputationRep:
    Really hope it's Leadsom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David0015)
    According to Ken Clarke May doesn't know anything about foreign affairs....Now, Clarke is a lunatic - as are most out of touch MPs - so do with that info as you will.

http://news.sky.com/story/watch-ken-...dates-10423744
    According to the telegraph May is an evil woman (that much is evident though) and has no comprehension of actually what she's doing, she just makes herself look good for the cameras. Even when that means censorship and the removal of the right of free speech:

http://order-order.com/2016/07/02/re...-may-campaign/

She should not be left in charge of a country, she's only good at making herself look good other than that she has no real worldly comprehension of the importance of the decisions she makes and how they affect the poor people living under her wicked rule. She would make the weak David Cameron appear a firm and trustworthy character!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.