(Original post by The Roast)
    Scotland can **** off.

But, remember, out is out
    Build the wall!
    Build the wall!
    Build the wall!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Damage is already done. England is going hard-right and Scotland is going hard-left.
    The SNP is centrist.

The thing is as England goes hard-right there is a minority but a united and large minority of centrist voters. A party must arise to cater for them, the Lib Dems will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    More succinct and powerful than me. I think now we have come out of Europe and there has been a hard-right coup in the governing Tory party the return of slums, no minimum wage, savage benefit cuts etc is more likely than ever before.
    I do have my worries, and I say that as a member of the Conservative Party. Theresa May is far from the standard-bearer I wanted for the party, after all the work that David Cameron had done to make it relevant to the modern world.

That said, I hope May is better than we think. Do not forget when Tony Blair moved his party to the centre-ground, he pushed hard and dominated the space previously occupied by the right when it came to policing and justice. I hope that May can demonstrate her ability to be a decent centrist in other fields. Her stance on immigration doesn't fill me with optimism.

With any luck, she'll have decent people around her making the case for the sort of policies Cameron has advocated: after all, he did not just stand apart from the party, he changed it and brought in a range of liberal voices. The last thing the Conservatives can afford is the indulgence of swinging to the right and alienating the new voters we have found.

Leadsom is just a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illegaltobepoor)
    Damage is already done. England is going hard-right and Scotland is going hard-left.
    England is not going hard-right. If the Conservatives swing to the hard right, they will lose. Not, perhaps, to Corbyn, but to a competent successor who realises the centre-ground the party has to occupy and should occupy.

As for Scotland going far-left? Don't make me laugh. Left-wing politics in Scotland have been decisively rejected: Labour and the Lib Dems could not even fight on the basis of a 1p increase in income tax. There is now no credible mainstream left-wing force in Scottish politics for the first time in generations.

If you're suggesting the SNP are left-wing then you're mad. We're talking about the most small-c conservative party in the British Isles.

ReputationRep:
    *******s...it's called democracy people!

and if this is a Remain vote, i hope leave peolpe contest it!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.