27% of young people (under 25) voted to Leave - has anyone met any of these 27%?

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    If the cap fit wear it.
    Yes it does sound like that they are ultra thick. Well educated and voted Leave, that is the ultimate in being thick! Seriously.

the vast majority of UK people who leave the UK leave the UK for BIG countries USA, Canada, Australia and rarely come back (as a percentage). The EU is a "big country" - Its a national disaster to leave.
    64% of UK voters did not vote leave.
    You're calling other people thick when you can't form coherent sentences and use correct grammar?

ReputationRep:
    No one willing to say why they did it?
    To say you're still obssessed with it, I assume because you want to somehow argue tje result illegiti!ate, you should already know this, or did you filter out any arguments to leave as soon as you wrote in response "hur hur, you're a dumb racist?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themini)
    Lol the guy believes Bin Laden is alive and the royal family are lizards. Yep sorry, definitely an idiot.
    hey just because the guy does not swallow the media's lies about OBL and their Bloodline controllers does not mean he is an idiot.*

ReputationRep:
    Indeed only 36% of people voted leave. I guess the right wing activists, racists and nationalists.

The ordinary decent people need to cast a vote in a general election and get rid of this shower. As Farragge said "my people would walk over red hot coals to vote" - so we know the vote was padded out with nationalists and racists.

Keep signing the petition as long as its still up there
    :dunce: I came here when I was 9. And I'm Hindu. Got any other assumptions? :dunce:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Own up? As if voting leave was somehow an immoral act? We voted for what we thought was best for our country and there's nothing immoral about that at all.

I hate to brag but I'm fed up with all this "leave voters are stupid" nonsense, so I'm not going to hold back. Sorry, this is going to come across really cocky. I'm 18, about to start a chemical physics masters at either Bristol or Sheffield and I also happen to be one of the 2015 International Space Design Competition UK champions. But obviously I'm a total doofus because I voted leave.

EDIT: As for my reasons, have you ever taken the time to look at how the EU functions? Or at what's actually written in the Lisbon treaty? The whole system is rotten to the core.
    because youre an academic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb_p6FljPfw

ReputationRep:
    Erm, obviously you are 100% wrong.
    I'm 100% wrong that people still moan about Indian IT workers? 100%?

You can be completely 100% sure that I couldnt possibly find 2 or more people working in IT who complain about Indian IT workers?

Quit trolling Brexit and go back to making insane religious threads, or your strange sexual thoughts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    You're calling other people thick when you can't form coherent sentences and use correct grammar?
    because you were lying.
    There is a shortage of Nurses

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35892006

So if you can tell the truth then that would be nice

ReputationRep:
    Only a couple of cousins of mine, but they are downright bigots so I don't know that they represent the majority of the leave vote.

ReputationRep:
    I did. 20 and a student/work part time in security.

I study economics and philosophy and I think leaving the EU will be better for our country in 15 years time onwards if not sooner, all on the caveat that the politicians that handle managing the leaving process are up to the job which i believe ours will be.

ReputationRep:
    No one willing to say why they did it?
    I am 22 and voted Leave because I think that the people that make a country's laws should be accountable to that country's people

I did not buy any of the scaremongering arguments about the consequences of Brexit and already we are seeing them receding into the dust with the economic situation much better than forecast, no emergency budget and Obama declaring that the UK's security role in Europe will not change a jot

I am excited by the prospect of us negotiating our own trade deals.

Generally speaking I think the EU is a wasteful, self-indulgent vanity project which has nothing but contempt for democracy and no higher priority than the lining of its officials' pockets. It is absolutely ludicrous that 10,000 EU bureaucrats are paid more than the British Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    I am 22 and voted Leave because I think that the people that make a country's laws should be accountable to that country's people

I did not buy any of the scaremongering arguments about the consequences of Brexit and already we are seeing them receding into the dust with the economic situation much better than forecast, no emergency budget and Obama declaring that the UK's security role in Europe will not change a jot

I am excited by the prospect of us negotiating our own trade deals.

Generally speaking I think the EU is a wasteful, self-indulgent vanity project which has nothing but contempt for democracy and no higher priority than the lining of its officials' pockets. It is absolutely ludicrous that 10,000 EU bureaucrats are paid more than the British Prime Minister.
    You can't be looking at the news then:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36749825

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36740602

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36743862

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36743716

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36670076

I could go on and on and these are all news items today ONLY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Oh and my uncle who's incredibly high up in Finance with 3 decades of experience in the industry.
    Your uncle started in finance at -5!! That really is impressive

I am sick of this leave voters are stupid argument though, I personally think that far too many of the public (on both sides) acted stupidly in this referendum. My experience has been that very few people conducted a properly critical evaluation of the facts to arrive at an informed decision. Lots of people I met couldn't see past the issue of immigration, or the uncertainty of leaving and even a few research scientists friends of mine (one a Cambridge educated doctor) didn't look enough into some of the corruptness because the loss of EU grants was the only real issue for them. Regardless of any of this, or anything else people have to say about it why the **** does it even matter now?

ReputationRep:
    So a protest vote and a vote against Camerons Britain.
    I can see that.

But how do we then stop the old Etonian Stiff upper lip,
    "we must all march over the cliff".

Only way to stop these public school fools is via a By-election
    so they can see the real mood of the people OR a general
    election.
    Well yeah, people are stupid. But that is reality. Just look at this

https://theconversation.com/hard-evi...r-brexit-62138

You have to find ways to deal with that reality. Right wing populists have done a much better job than left wing populists.

ReputationRep:
    Nice, include an article that matters little (Eurozone growth), one that relies a misunderstanding (trade deficit) and omit the positive articles. And when are you meeting the therapist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is tragic mate, give up. I said, we can be in the EEA and continue with free movement, for a good period. We do not need to piss our democracy up the wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fenice)
    I don't disagree, but they still aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I've not met a single one.

Anyone under 25 care to own up why you did it and what is your background (granduate, unemployed, location) - Give us a clue..

Biggest leave voting areas Boston and Great Yarmouth.
    Any young people from those town? Gut feeling is they are not particularly poor areas - pretty average.

cheers FredOrJohn
    My girlfriend comes from Great Yarmouth, according to her it's a fairly UKIP-orientated area.

Your gut feeling is wrong; whilst GY isn't exactly reminiscent of parts of London in the 80s, it's not a particularly well-to-do area (apart from the nicer part of Gorleston, the houses along the beach down that end are lush).

Interesting fact about Gorleston: I lost a glove there once.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themini)
    I've met one. He's a shelf stacker at ASDA and his life is going no where. He's basically an idiot who decided to vote on impulse and believes that we're in a cracking economic environment now. He spends all his time on reddit and 4chan that should give you an indication. He tells me his reasons were because the EU isn't as democratic as he wished and he doesn't want Turkey to join the EU lol.
    Not wanting Turkey to have the visa rights to come here is pretty sensible tbh.

ReputationRep:
    There's one right here! A proud nationalist at 19 years of age! :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    I am 19 starting my degree in computer science.
    Got maximum grade for my course at college.

I voted leave for a simple reason.

28 people from different countries all have different priorities and it cannot be in our Intrest to be a member if the 27others have different priorities.

Example:

The U.K. Wants a free trade deal with say Australia because we want really cheap crocodile skin wallets however another EU country France sells them as well but their ones are not quite as good.

They would never support this deal meaning we would never get the free trade agreement for wallets we wanted.

(Bad example i know but the basic idea is there).

28 different ideas cannot produce the drive and direction of one

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.