Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neal95)
    A lot of the Asians are pushed into it by parents and don't know any different/are too scared to man up and tell them they don't want to
    Then they batter the **** out of you.

ReputationRep:
    In a lot of countries, it is basically the best paid, most prestigious job out there. In the UK it's still very prestigious but the pay isn't as good as in other countries but still really good.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Yeah but in medicine you can help someone more personally- I.e. you can see who you're helping and they usually say thanks
    Yes, but it's still only helping a few people at a time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Go into business and you can help millions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on what kind of business it is ,but yeah its the same principle.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some people prefer that. Personally I don't really care about helping anyone.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Trapz99)
    Some people prefer that. Personally I don't really care about helping anyone.
    That's fair, but I do ahahaha. Would rather make money and put it to good use than help a couple people at a time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All or most doctors help. All or most businessmen scam (for sole profit). No point even arguing there.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PeaceBringer)
    All or most doctors help. All or most businessmen scam (for sole profit). No point even arguing there.
    yet there can be a few businesspeople who create huge value that surpasses that of most doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yet there can be a few businesspeople who create huge value that surpasses that of most doctors

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The best and richest businessmen help society, create jobs etc.

Pretty much all doctors save lives and connect on a special level.

I know who the public would pick.

ReputationRep:
    That's fair, but I do ahahaha. Would rather make money and put it to good use than help a couple people at a time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I came off a bit cold in my last post ahaha! I do want to help but that's just by donating some cash to charity, not by physically doing anything. For example, I'm not going to be wasting any time going to some third world country and helping anyone physically like Bill Gates does but I'll probably just donate some money to a charity.

ReputationRep:
    Makes mad money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmileyVibe)
    Makes mad money...
    The money u make as a doctor gets u all like

ReputationRep:
    Essentially Investment Banking with a feel-good factor
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Metrododo)
    Essentially Investment Banking with a feel-good factor
    True

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kadak)
    So the scientists responsible for creating drugs and making medical discoveries arent saving lives ?
    The scientists and engineers responsible for medical technologies such as PET scans and electron microscopes arent saving lives ?
    The mathmaticians who work help doctors interpret data arent saving lives ?

My teacher told me,be a doctor and you can help maybe a couple of thousand people in your lifetime,go into science and you can help many more.
    Yeh true, I can see I haven't been very clear. What I mean is the physical ability to diagnose and the knowledge of how to treat someone if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Of course they are, but from what I've observed, traditional Asian families have a dislike for highly educated women (gender roles etc), and often male doctors raised in these families don't want an equally educated wife.
    Not always the case, I'm only allowed an educated wife, the more educated the better :lol:

When I told my parents that I don't want to pursue medicine, I was told that I have no ambition and they didn't talk to me for weeks

Little do they know that a science degree opens up opportunities that pay much more than a doctor/GP :indiff:

(Original post by Lord Samosa)
    Not always the case, I'm only allowed an educated wife, the more educated the better :lol:
    I guess your family aren't very traditional then
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It's a good profession and I like to think that people do it because it's their passion. :bigsmile: And the profession is understaffed so we definitely need more doctors. :yep:

I was actually thinking about Dentistry and Engineering before I settled on Maths :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I respect Drs, but let not be too naive here. The main reason people wish to study medicine is because of the salary.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.