Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should Boris Johnson and Michael Gove be prosecuted? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Nobody broke the law. Making empty promises is not illegal. Get over it.
    Empty promises? Lying isn't making empty promises, it's lying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    Of which the public had ample opportunity to research and find the reality.

Should Theresa May have been arrested when she made the factually inaccurate statement that an illegal immigrant avoided deportation because of his pet cat?

This should only be criminal when the public office holder has a monopoly on the facts, i.e. if a government minister forced his department to produce misleading figures on levels of crime, which the public could not check through other sources.
    Are you also opposed to advertising regulations that prevent companies from peddling "natural medicines" that doesn't actually work? Maybe you fully support Noel Edmunds' public advertising of a magic box that he claims cured cancer?

Love seeing all these champions of democracy defending the blatant manipulation of the electorate because it worked in their favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InnerTemple)
    This thread isn't about empty promises. It is about a number of statements made by the Leave campaign which were presented as statements of fact.

And nobody broke the law...

ReputationRep:
    No. I used to hold the OP in high esteem for their post quality but turns out I was wrong to do so. What utter rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanL_)
    Are you also opposed to advertising regulations that prevent companies from peddling "natural medicines" that doesn't actually work? Maybe you fully support Noel Edmunds' public advertising of a magic box that he claims cured cancer?

Love seeing all these champions of democracy defending the blatant manipulation of the electorate because it worked in their favour.
    Even those aren't criminal offences. The companies in question would be slapped with a rebuttal and possibly given a fine by the relevant authority.

I do think people in the public sphere should receive a similar sort of punishment if they make misleading claims. I think the Electoral Commission already does this.

Getting the criminal courts involved is not the answer.

ReputationRep:

The electorate has always been manipulated and will always be. Politics is all about lies and manipulation; you will never change that.

I don't think we would have seen so many sore losers if Remain had won. Get over it. It's done.

ReputationRep:
    Tantrum #385485883

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    The electorate has always been manipulated and will always be. Politics is all about lies and manipulation; you will never change that.
    No. Lying is not legal in politics. David Cameron can give out leaflets saying "I'll give the NHS £1 billion a year" and not do it. He can't say "I gave the NHS £1 billion this year" when he didn't do it. You can't make stuff up.

I don't think we would have seen so many sore losers if Remain had won.
    Hahahaha right, UKIP would have ceased to exist and all the leave voters would never mention it again.

Get over it. It's done.
    Except it's not done. A50 hasn't been triggered yet, and possibly can't be triggered without a vote in Parliament.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no. It'll be fine. Just a bit of cheeky bant from the leave campaign really but they'll sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    They shouldn't be persecuted but rather publicly shamed

I like the idea of them being spanked by Theresa May....

EDIT: what i've written sounds like i have a fetish for spanking lmao whoops

ReputationRep:
    No. Lying is not legal in politics. David Cameron can give out leaflets saying "I'll give the NHS £1 billion a year" and not do it. He can't say "I gave the NHS £1 billion this year" when he didn't do it. You can't make stuff up.
    *Sigh* The bold part is an empty promise, exactly what the Leave campaign did; however, nobody did as in your latter example. Thank you for proving my point.

David Cameron can perfectly say that he "gave the NHS £1 billion this year". Nobody would believe him, but it's not illegal.

Lying is generally not forbidden in politics, except when governmental funds are used to deceive people on the administration's deeds.

Hahahaha right, UKIP would have ceased to exist and all the leave voters would never mention it again.
    Brexiters wouldn't have said that young people shouldn't vote, that England and Wales should secede from London and Scotland, etc.

Except it's not done. A50 hasn't been triggered yet, and possibly can't be triggered without a vote in Parliament.
    The Tories said they will respect the vote of the people. It's done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by welshiee)
    No. I used to hold the OP in high esteem for their post quality but turns out I was wrong to do so. What utter rubbish.
    There are a few previously decent posters on here who seem to be so overwhelmingly buttmad about the result of the referendum that they've lost all reason.

Such matters have to be left to be settled by political means -- unless you want the courts centrally involved in every election campaign.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    There are a few previously decent posters on here who seem to be so overwhelmingly buttmad about the result of the referendum that they've lost all reason.

Such matters have to be left to be settled by political means -- unless you want the courts centrally involved in every election campaign.
    BANTS IN YO PANTS LAD.

Top banter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.