Would you say BBC News swings more to the right or left

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: Which would you say the BBC swings more to
    It's genuinely unbiased
    11.69%
    It swings to the left
    61.04%
    It's centrist
    11.69%
    It swings to the right
    15.58%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig1998)
    Left more than right. But even so, it seems like most media outlets are right anyway, so in the interest of equality something swinging to the left from time to time is fair.
    A taxpayer funded public broadcaster has a duty to be balanced in its own output. Not redress the overall balance in privately owned media output.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    One they do not try hard enough to achieve
    In your opinion.

In mine they do a pretty decent job.

There's also the small matter of are you a good judge of what they're trying to do if you don't actually know what it is they're doing? Are they going for no bias, or are they going for balance? They're two fundamentally different things with very different methods. If you don't know what their aim is, how can you possibly be a judge of how they're achieving it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't find them particularly biased or left-leaning. Even if they were, something ought to be there to counterbalance Rupert Murdoch.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    In your opinion.

In mine they do a pretty decent job.

There's also the small matter of are you a good judge of what they're trying to do if you don't actually know what it is they're doing? Are they going for no bias, or are they going for balance? They're two fundamentally different things with very different methods. If you don't know what their aim is, how can you possibly be a judge of how they're achieving it?
    And what is it about your opinion that automatically trumps mine? Surely what you've just typed about ME not knowing what they were trying to achieve applies to YOU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    And is it about your opinion that automatically trumps mine? Surely what you've just typed about ME not knowing what they were trying to achieve applies to YOU.
    You (repeatedly) miss the point.

You're presenting your opinion that they are biased as holy writ, rather than - as it is - your opinion. That's an error on your part.

As for the second part, that's called a quote. You're saying the BBC aren't doing x, despite the fact that doing x isn't their target. Their target is to do y. X and y are different things with different methods. If you're not looking at the right thing, how do you hope to get the right answer?

ReputationRep:
    You (repeatedly) miss the point.

You're presenting your opinion that they are biased as holy writ, rather than - as it is - your opinion. That's an error on your part.

As for the second part, that's called a quote. You're saying the BBC aren't doing x, despite the fact that doing x isn't their target. Their target is to do y. X and y are different things with different methods. If you're not looking at the right thing, how do you hope to get the right answer?
    Just wondering but is it your opinion I am doing more than just expressing my opinion or are you stating it as a fact? If you don't know what I set out to achieve how would you know one way or the other?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they swing to either particular 'wing'', but they definitely appear to have their own agenda on a lot of things.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that it manages to annoy both right-wingers and left-wingers probably means it's pretty balanced!

I think it's pretty balanced, but I'd say it's pretty left-wing on social issues. Eg, I've noticed quite a lot of pieces that would be very at home on The Guardian, eg articles overexaggerating gender inequality etc.

ReputationRep:
    It has a broadly pro-establishment bias, with a 'modernising' edge, which is neither inherently left or right, at least as far as conventional politics tends to go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact that it gets a pretty even number of complaints from people claiming it's "too right" and "too left" suggests it's doing a pretty good job overall.

People will always see a bias if they want to.
    This. I think it does a reasonable job personally.

ReputationRep:
    The BBC is always going to be in a bind, as it's variously told it has to be impartial, unbiased, balanced, factually rigorous and accurate, representative, and so on, which often contradict each other.

The 2015 election debates are a good example of this. Should the BBC be 'representative' and give the Tories and Labour more time due to their stronger polling and greater number of seats? Or should they be 'balanced' and treat all parties that could theoretically win the election equal coverage? In French elections, it's worth noting, French public media is legally obliged to do the latter.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.