Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    there is only one pack leader on TSR... he is signified by the highest number of reps. *
    You mis-spelt loser*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does it really matter? Ladies? What do we think? What do you like and dislike about both types of males?
    This is actually getting out of hand.

Alpha (in the animal kingdom) is not limited to which male mates the most and is the strongest. It is also based around the role the animal plays within the group. this varies from creating alliances within the group and actually directing the group.

So firstly Alpha and beta are not actually what you think they are. You can kind of think alpha as a leadership role.

Secondly It's hard to apply Alpha and beta to a human social groups. This is simply because our roles as alpha and beta vary dependent on who has the most leverage in a social situation. For example, if i am going out one night with my friends, and my mate decides he will take us to a club in HIS car, he has the most leverage in this social situation, as he drives the car, whereas as soon as we get out of the car he looses leverage, as we need directions to the club and he has social anxiety therefore meaning he may find it hard to ask for directions. Now the leverage will start tipping over to me.

As well as this, in terms of mating, humans are very complex and mating for us often transcends primal instinct unlike most other animals. Yes there has to be attraction, but attraction varies dependent of the individual. Therefore it's hard to say whether the concept of alpha and beta, that many people hold in their head actually matters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    You mis-spelt loser*

ReputationRep:
    Why is this whole beta/alpha thing so popular on TSR at the moment? I've literally never heard anyone speak in these ******** terms after several years in the military.

Real men don't go around calling each other greek letters, they just get the job done.

Howlers.

SS

Charlie is cool.

Spoiler:
    Show
    *cool*

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I'm sowwy I didn't wanna offend :emo:

I'm more of a Pie male myself :mmm:
    Pi males are irrational.

Sorry

ReputationRep:
    Along with "cuck"(another TSR obsession) I've never heard anyone say these in real life.

ReputationRep:
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: png comic2-2628.png (27.6 KB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    And to clear this up, as to its origins:

The concept of an alpha male comes from wild animals. Wolf packs have an alpha pair who lead the pack, are allowed to eat first, and are the ones who can reproduce (stronger parents = stronger offspring).

Humans, and other animals, can display alpha traits - leadership, sexual dominance etc. I won't deny it. But there is no such thing as an 'alpha male' outside pack hierarchy, and the concept of a 'beta male' is in itself even more ridiculous.

We're human, not canine.
    What about scooby doo.
    Racist ****.

ReputationRep:
    I could be like every other guy on here and claim there is no such thing as Alphas and Betas and maybe they are right, but that adds nothing which hasn't been said.

What fascinates me is how when British people talk about Alpha males, the image in their mind is always derived from classical Greco-Roman culture. The statesmanlike noble who is wealthy and politically powerful, but who is disciplined and takes responsibility for his people; a Caesar marching on the Carthaginians. The word patriarchy itself derived from the Latin pater, meaning father. In today's world this would be an eminent CEO or politician, the civilised leader in his suit. Other cultures have much more brutally masculine ideals.

ReputationRep:
    Nah m8 Im gamma im in my own league

Doesn't beta penetrate better?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Doesn't beta penetrate better?
    Touché

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    Pi males are irrational.

Sorry
    You are my hero.

Spoiler:
    Show

Don't apologise, that was a great pun

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 9, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.