Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Young people DID vote in EUref after all... Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trill)
    Who let a 100+ year old woman vote?

Think it's quite sad that us young people are having to live with the consequences of the older generation's majority vote.
    You may live to thank her for exercising her democratic right in a way that makes your future better. You can be no more sure your crystal ball is better than hers.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    So let's get this straight. 18-24 turnout was 36% of eligable voters and of those 75% voted remain. This means only 27% of 18-24s voted to remain.

When you factor in a large portion of those will have voted out of fear of change rather than actually knowing a damn thing about the EU I would bet we're down to single digits. I mean the highest EU related search term after the referendum was "what is the EU?". If you don't know what the EU is then it's a tragedy that you got to vote on it.

So please, no more whining about older people screwing over the young.
    No. A previous analysis (SkyData) said 18-24 turnout was 36%. This one (Opinium/LSE) says it was 64%.

A separate poll (YouGov) says they voted 74% remain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No. A previous analysis (SkyData) said 18-24 turnout was 36%. This one (Opinium/LSE) says it was 64%.

A separate poll (YouGov) says they voted 74% remain.
    The 64% figure is for people registered to vote, not all 18-24 year olds which is where the 36% came from.

Even if they both are in fact measuring the same thing you then have two different sources giving very different figures so why believe either?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    The 64% figure is for people registered to vote, not all 18-24 year olds which is where the 36% came from.

Even if they both are in fact measuring the same thing you then have two different sources giving very different figures so why believe either?
    No. The 36% was SkyData's analysis of turnout. They are measuring the same thing.
    https://twitter.com/skydata/status/746700869656256512

And yes your last point is valid.

But at least this challenges the established view that the young didn't vote...

ReputationRep:
    64% of people registered to vote is still pretty pathetic.

I'd like to see data on the proportion of 18-24 year olds registered to vote as against other age brackets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    I'm not too bothered. The old people will be wiped off the face of this earth soon enough, and we'll find a way to make this work.
    and when they are gone, you will be the 'old person'

And the young generation will complain about how you are ruining their future/their lives..

And you will realize that your initial belief that your generation would be different from your parents generation was just the innocence of youth, and that in reality the cycle continues.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    64% of people registered to vote is still pretty pathetic.

I'd like to see data on the proportion of 18-24 year olds registered to vote as against other age brackets.
    Average was 72%, so not far off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallen_acorns)
    and when they are gone, you will be the 'old person'

And the young generation will complain about how you are ruining their future/their lives..

And you will realize that your initial belief that your generation would be different from your parents generation was just the innocence of youth, and that in reality the cycle continues.
    Why such a pessimistic view of the future? Brexit voters at it with ProjectFear once again?

ReputationRep:
    Average was 72%, so not far off.
    Still far lower than the oldest voters, by whom much of the youth vote claims to be oppressed.

I'm far less interested myself in the registered voter turnout than in the eligible voter turnout. Obviously not bothering to register to vote is just as effective a way of not having your opinion counted as just not bothering to turn up on the day. I'd be prepared to speculate that registration figures for the youth vote were substantially lower, too.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Still far lower than the oldest voters, by whom much of the youth vote claims to be oppressed.

I'm far less interested myself in the registered voter turnout than in the eligible voter turnout. Obviously not bothering to register to vote is just as effective a way of not having your opinion counted as just not bothering to turn up on the day. I'd be prepared to speculate that registration figures for the youth vote were substantially lower, too.
    The % registered info is in my posts above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My parents and grandparents are all immigrants. My parents did the right thing and voted to remain. Did yours? Probably not, since they made someone like you
    Aaaaaaaaaaah, the my parents are better than your parents argument of last resort.

Mine have all been "wiped off the face of the earth" so unable to vote to ruin your future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trill)
    Who let a 100+ year old woman vote?

Think it's quite sad that us young people are having to live with the consequences of the older generation's majority vote.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    100 plus year old woman what's she ever done for this country.....

You could t make it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too bothered. The old people will be wiped off the face of this earth soon enough, and we'll find a way to make this work.
    Disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    Aaaaaaaaaaah, the my parents are better than your parents argument of last resort.

Mine have all been "wiped off the face of the earth" so unable to vote to ruin your future
    Just report her. Her posts are horrible, insulting and highly personal.

ReputationRep:
    No. The 36% was SkyData's analysis of turnout. They are measuring the same thing.
    https://twitter.com/skydata/status/746700869656256512
    That is not what I call 'analysis'. It was effectively a guesstimate which got passed round without any kind of reasoned assessment. It was previously debunked by the New Statesman and now by the LSE study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    Just report her. Her posts are horrible, insulting and highly personal.
    But that would stop her making an even bigger a**e of herself.

ReputationRep:
    My parents and grandparents are all immigrants. My parents did the right thing and voted to remain. Did yours? Probably not, since they made someone like you
    How old are you?
    Either you're a troll or you're about 12, too young to vote. Your posts come across as very immature and petty
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    That is not what I call 'analysis'. It was effectively a guesstimate which got passed round without any kind of reasoned assessment. It was previously debunked by the New Statesman and now by the LSE study.
    I'm not sure NS really debunked it.

Their original query about it was
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-eu-referendum

But later this NS article perpetuated the "young didn't vote" narrative.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/07/...tem-fails-them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viffer)
    But that would stop her making an even bigger a**e of herself.
    Trust me, I don't think that's possible.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure NS really debunked it.

There original query about it was
    http://www.newstatesman.com/politics...-eu-referendum

But later this NS article perpetuated the "young didn't vote" narrative.
    http://www.newstatesman.com/2016/07/...tem-fails-them

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I had only seen the first article originally. I've read the second now and while the author isn't actively reinforcing the 36% myth, I can see why it might be interpreted that way. She is trying to gain traction for her angle that it was 'the system' which discouraged the young from voting - therefore it is in her interest not to reject it outright. Hence she says 'Let's say, for the sake of argument, that young turnout was as low as estimates suggest. Can this really be said to be an indictment of young people, or is it really an indictment of a system that alienates them utterly?' She is using a statistic to make her own argument look more powerful, even though she probably knows that figure to be false.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.