MAT Prep Thread - 2nd November 2016

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Post yours and someone can verify it for you if you wish.
    A'ight. Will do in a sec

ReputationRep:
    Name:  2006 Q7.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  321.3 KB

Anyone else who has looked at 2006 Q7 can they let me know how this measures up? Can't seem to find a solution for it anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightbulbmoment_)
    I'm applying for straight Computer Science! How are you finding the standard of the past papers?
    I've found that the difficulty of the questions have definitely increased in the later papers. However, I really like how the MAT makes you think about what is REALLY happening with the maths (unlike maths and further maths AS level where I found you could get by with just learning questions).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedals)
    I've found that the difficulty of the questions have definitely increased in the later papers. However, I really like how the MAT makes you think about what is REALLY happening with the maths (unlike maths and further maths AS level where I found you could get by with just learning questions).
    Yeah I definitely agree. The earlier papers are pretty easy when compared to more recent years. They're all an enjoyable challenge though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pedals)
    Wait till you try STEP...

ReputationRep:
    Wait till you try STEP...
    Wait till you try Year 2 maths sats

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krollo)
    Wait till you try Year 2 maths sats

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait till you try physics... shaves 6 inches off your height - proof by example.

ReputationRep:
    This and this look very helpful. Maybe added to the OP?
    I've added those in now, thanks for the links!

ReputationRep:
    Are there are any video tutorials going through papers or specific questions? Also, how are people finding the questions? I find the computer science ones fairly straight forward and the multiple choice ones a bit harder.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    A bit of unsolicited advice: (Hope it helps you out)
    Spoiler:
    Show

In my experience (and this is certainly what I did!), I'd say you should write about parts of books which really got your interest when you read them. I was never asked about the book I read (A Brief History of Numbers by Leo Corry), and I only wrote about parts of that book.

That's not to say that you won't be, they may ask if they think it would generate interesting conversation, and friends of mine were asked about their favourite parts of books they had named on their PS.

I'd say read some stuff you're interested in rather than going for anything because it's a popular read for sure, I know I was tempted to do the later when I was thinking about my application
    Thanks for this!

ReputationRep:
    By the way, don't you know if there are Oxford colleges which give major importance to MAT results? I have heard something like this about St.John's, but nothing precise...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if there's many people round this thread who have already done the MAT but if there is: how much time would you all recommend spending daily/weekly preparing for the MAT from now till the exam? I know it would vary from person to person but it would be great if someone who has already done it could give some advice on how much time you should dedicate to it ))

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how it's actually possible to 'prepare' for the MAT. There are so few questions available

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)
    I don't see how it's actually possible to 'prepare' for the MAT. There are so few questions available
    There are 11 past or sample papers on the department site. Previous papers are somewhere on TSR after an FOI request. How does this pass for "so few questions"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRandomGenius)

There are plenty of resources , a simple google search would help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr.Faust)
    By the way, don't you know if there are Oxford colleges which give major importance to MAT results? I have heard something like this about St.John's, but nothing precise...
    'We place relatively little weight on the interview itself in selecting candidates, focusing instead upon performance in examinations and school reports.'

That's from St John's website about Maths. It's assumed that they're referring to MAT.

https://www.sjc.ox.ac.uk/395-746/Mat...t-Schools.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xsk)
    'We place relatively little weight on the interview itself in selecting candidates, focusing instead upon performance in examinations and school reports.'

That's from St John's website about Maths. It's assumed that they're referring to MAT.

Oh, thanks! Doesn't anyone know anything similar about othere colleges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sideshowbobya)
    There are plenty of resources , a simple google search would help.
    Apart from the papers and the Dr Frost resources I don't see what else there is? Would be grateful if you could provide me with any additional material.

ReputationRep:
    Applying to Oxford this year. probably start prepping for the MAT soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xsk)

I think in general, St. Johns tends to have higher thresholds for the MAT and puts more emphasis on your MAT score than some other colleges.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.