Turn on thread page Beta

2016 F1 British Grand Prix: My day at Silverstone watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireFreezer77)
    :woo: :jive:

Damn autocorrect!
    Tbh mine keeps changing haha to haphazard! How's that even work!?
    Haha, no idea

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Excellent! Yeah ok then.
    Hmm well yes it looks likely that Button will replace Massa. And then Vamdoorne will take Buttons place at McLaren

I'm not sure Palmer will be staying tbh but he has had some back luck this year so we shall see about that.
    Kvyat will be out by the end of the year and I think Pierre Gasly will take his place.
    Aside from that I can't see much changing (oh yeah, Haryanto will probably be replaced by someone)
    What are your thoughts?
    I'd agree with that, I can see Leclerc joining Manor perhaps, it'll be interesting to see if Sauber have confirmed Nasr and Ericsson for next year. Pierre Gasly is quite good whenever I see him in GP2; maybe Maldonado to Renault (would be interesting to say the least!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrammarGuru)
    I'd agree with that, I can see Leclerc joining Manor perhaps, it'll be interesting to see if Sauber have confirmed Nasr and Ericsson for next year. Pierre Gasly is quite good whenever I see him in GP2; maybe Maldonado to Renault (would be interesting to say the least!)
    Excellent!
    Well the only thing thst would stop that would be Manor using Mercedes engines. Seeing as he's a Ferrari driver. But he deserves an F1 seat soon!
    Haha after Monaco i think one of them will be out!
    He sure is! Hes not the best in GP2 i dont think, but hes up there!
    Im liking Giovanazzi! Watched him in F3 and he was mega!!
    P2 in the championship so far, 1 point off the lead!
    Yikes! Lets not let him back haha! That wont end well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matrix123)
    Haha, no idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Damn haphazard!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Damn haphazard!!!!
    Indeed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Excellent!
    Well the only thing thst would stop that would be Manor using Mercedes engines. Seeing as he's a Ferrari driver. But he deserves an F1 seat soon!
    Haha after Monaco i think one of them will be out!
    He sure is! Hes not the best in GP2 i dont think, but hes up there!
    Im liking Giovanazzi! Watched him in F3 and he was mega!!
    P2 in the championship so far, 1 point off the lead!
    Yikes! Lets not let him back haha! That wont end well!
    There were talks of Maldonado at Haas or Renault at the start of the year; after Grosjean started so well I thought he might go to Ferrari, but he's tailed off in recent weeks and seems barely ahead of Gutierrez (does he still have no points?). Yeah, I guess that's true about Leclerc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGrammarGuru)
    There were talks of Maldonado at Haas or Renault at the start of the year; after Grosjean started so well I thought he might go to Ferrari, but he's tailed off in recent weeks and seems barely ahead of Gutierrez (does he still have no points?). Yeah, I guess that's true about Leclerc.
    Hmm fair enough, I didn't hear about that tbh but that would be interesting to say the least.
    Yeah that's true but I think he's been struggling with the car more. But I'm not too sure why they are so far down now! (Unfortunately he still has 0 points, Grosjean has 28)
    Yeah, it could still happen but I can't see it tbh.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    My day at Silverstone 2016 *SPOILERS INCLUDED* Don't read if you're planning on watching the races!

Attachment 560458560460560450
    Ignore links! Images at bottom of post of my view!

As you know, I spent today at Silverstone in attendance of the British Grand Prix.
    Some of you have requested I let you know how it went so I decided I would write an informative post with details of the events of all the races (including videos of the first laps from my vantage point).

Race 1: GP3

First Lap of GP3 RaceNow this is a junior series and is on the ladder up to F1. It features young drivers hoping to make a name for themselves in the hope of attracting the attention of F1 team bosses.

Now onto the race.

Pole Position was occupied by a certain: Arjun Maini (India). Due to his finishing position in the feature race being 8th (the top 8 are reversed for the Sunday grid).
    Initially he was demoted to second in a greasy track by Sandy Stuvik. Things then went badly for Maini. On the Hangar straight, Matt Parry clipped his left rear tyre causing a puncture and a trip to the pits. Parry was then informed to come into the pits too, but to replace his broken front wing.With Parry out of the way, Ferrari young driver Charles Leclerc immediately tried to perform an overtake on Stuvik, this didn't work and cost him time and a position to Alex Palou. Palou then pulled away from the pack and took the lead with ease.Stuvik then fell back through the pack and this fired up another Ferrari young driver, Antonio Fuoco. He applied severe pressure to Leclerc.It didn't take him long to perform the overtake and then chase after Palou. After a couple of laps, Fuoco made his move, which would turn out to be the race winning move. Everything settled down then, except for a fired up Nyck De Vries who charged forward but to no avail because of a time penalty for causing a collision earlier in the race.He couldn't quite catch Fuoco when the flag came out.
    Fuoco performed a stunning drive to take victory at Silverstone.

Overall a very entertaining (yet frustrating) race!
    Was very happy after watching this!

Race 2: GP2

First Lap of the GP2 RaceThis is the next step up from GP3 and the final step before F1

Pole Position was occupied in the same manor as the previous race, leaving Briton: Jordan King on pole.
    King got a great start and immediately pulled away from everyone. The previous day's race winner (Pierre Gasly) had a horrible start and dropped to 13th position.Once Japanese driver Nobuharu Matsushita got up to speed, he quickly demoted Frenchman Norman Nato to take second. He then set about chasing down King but would never get close enough to perform the overtake. Things would stay fairly stationary for a few laps whilst everyone got to grips with the conditions.Then Gasly and Italian Luca Ghiotta, stormed forwards (Gasly up to P8 and Ghiotto up to P2). Luca then closed in on King at a rapid rate of knots and very nearly overtook him on several occasions. But just when it looked like he would do it, his tyres dropped off the cliff and he dropped backwards. And to add to the chaos of this race, with two laps to go, rain hit!At least 90% of the drivers went wide at the corned in front of me, with Nato ending up backwards in the gravel, ending his race prematurely. King then took it easy and cruised to his second win in 7 days.
    Ghiotto P2 and Briton Oliver Rowland took 3rd. Needless to say, the crowd went mad!

After this I didn't think any of the following races would be any better, that's how much I enjoyed watching it! But I was wrong!

Race 3: Porsche SuperCup

Lap 3 of the Porsche SuperCup Race (Race started behind safety car, this is the first racing lap)Next up some rain. A short but heavy shower meant that the Porsche Supercup race was delayed by 10mins but it was worth the wait!

Once everyone had changed onto wet tyres, poleman Mathieu Jaminet got a good launch and surged into an early lead. The first lap featured lots of interesting driving and nearly led to Dan Cammish (Car 46) spinning right in front of me, luckily he didn't but I caught his mistake on video.Tom Sharp was moving rapidly up the order from his 9th place start. By the end of lap 3 he was up to 4th! Impressed I was.
    But then, Sven Muller disposed of Matteo Cairoli (who put up a good fight) and then set off after Jaminet. It only took him two laps to catch Mathieu but what ensued was some of the best driving I have ever seen in my life! Approaching Copse corner in the wet they were side by side. Neither lifted off and they went around the corner side by side. Jaminet ended up on top this time, but the following lap, they tried again. This time Muller stuck with it and they were two abreast until they reached Becketts corner! Seriously amazing stuff seeing as they stayed in the racetrack and didn't touch once! I (along with everyone else) gave them both a massive round of applause when they came by next!
    Muller then pulled away rapidly and went on to take victory. Jaminet held on to a secure second place, whilst 3rd place was occupied by Jeffrey Schmidt (somehow seeing as he was 7th in the closing laps of the race).
    There's so much more that happened during that race but I'm trying to keep it as short as possible.
    This was the best race of the day!

Next up was the least entertaining race of the day!
    The Formula 1

Race 4: Formula 1

Lap 6 of the 2016 British Grand Prix (Race also started behind safety car, thins was first racing lap)!Now I like F1 but I like other racing series a lot more (including all of the ones listed above). It's just not exciting and the racing is dull compared to other series now, esp with Mercedes winning all the races (inc this one).

Shortly before the race began, there was an extremely heavy downpour! This caused the race to be started behind the Safety Car. All of us fans were disappointed at this decision because it ruined the start of the race!
    But after 5 long laps, the race finally began! At the first possible opportunity, several drivers (Lead By Kimi Raikkonen) pitted for Intermediate tyres. This looked to be a good move, until Pascal Wehrlein spun and became stuck in the gravel. This prompted a Virtual a Safety Car (VSC) period in which everyone else who hadn't pitted, pitted for me tyres. This left the guys who had already pitted with a massive gap to close up. This ruined the race because it robbed us of a very nice strategic race from which the leaders may have tried to put for Slicks at the first possible opportunity. Instead what happened was everyone ran off the track at Abbey at least once (well nearly everyone). Wehrleins teammate (Rio Haryanto) lost control and had the same incident but was able to be recovered without need for the cars to be slowed on track. Lewis Hamilton lead from Nico Rosberg and Max Verstappen (who's only 4 days older than me!!!). It was clear that each time they went past, Max was closer and eventually he pulled a stunning manoeuvre around the outside of Rosberg to take second place. This was also met with a massive round of applause (Rosberg was continuously booed throughout the race, this angered me immensely because I have nothing against him, but what happened after the race was hilarious in my opinion). I then heard someone say "**** he's quicker than Lewis, COME ON NICO!!" I'm like, make your damn mind up! Do you hate him or like him?!
    But towards the end of the race (as not much happened in the middle, except for Ricciardo overtaking Perez and others getting close but not overtaking anyone) Rosberg closed in and overtook Verstappen! This was met with silence! And a fan holding an L sign to Rosberg (meaning Loser!). Then I lost interest in that battle because my favourite driver (Raikkonen) was closing on Perez rapidly! I focused on that and was overjoyed when he made the move at Stowe!

Then suddenly, Rosberg slowed and from the big screens I could see he was stuck in 7th gear. I didn't hear the radio message at the track so I couldn't form an opinion on the investigation, but after hearing it now, I disagree with the penalty! The new radio rule sucks big time!!But I'm glad Mercedes told him that and allowed him to continue to finish 2nd (now 3rd but the penalty may be appealed by Mercedes).
    Also does anyone know what happened to Grosjean? His car went bang right in front of me but have no idea what the problem was! Thanks!

But yes the end of the race happened and Hamilton won. But the funny bit was, on the slowing down lap, a Mercedes came into view and everyone went mad! They were cheering like crazy! Me and my Dad seemed to be the only ones to realize that it was Rosberg (hence why I was cheering!). I couldn't stop laughing when everyone realized what they had done! They had cheered madly for the guy they booed throughout the race!

Then Hamilton came by and there was a small cheer! I could feel the embarrassment of everyone!

But I am seriously disgusted by the attitude of the so called fans there! Booing a driver is unacceptable! I feel for Nico! And Seb when it happened to him too! They're being booed for no reason! It's disgusting!

I didn't stick around for the podium as I couldn't face any more booing so we left Silverstone after a great day of racing (mostly) and headed home!

I hope you all enjoyed reading my account of my day at Silverstone!

Overall it was a great day and I'm very happy to have gone! Even if I spent £30 on a Raikkonen SnapBack! But I wanted one so I'm not bothered haha!
    But I'm very satisfied with the day!
    I'm very happy!
    Thanks for reading!
    nice to see you went to the british GP. weirdly enough my first experience at silverstone was at luffield :lol: (2nd at copse back when it was the first corner). next year im planning to go silverstone, baku or bahrain (silverstone as it is fairly close to home; baku because of the sights and bahrain because of the night race)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    nice to see you went to the british GP. weirdly enough my first experience at silverstone was at luffield :lol: (2nd at copse back when it was the first corner). next year im planning to go silverstone, baku or bahrain (silverstone as it is fairly close to home; baku because of the sights and bahrain because of the night race)
    Thanks! It was a good day out!
    Well nothing wrong with luffield (it's a great place to sit!)
    I've not experienced copse yet. What was it like?
    Brilliant! I say go for one of them at least!
    Tbh I refused to watch Baku this year after I found out it was on the same day as LeMans!
    Was not impressed by that! Neither were many others it has to be said!
    I wanna go back to LeMans! That was awesome!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks! It was a good day out!
    Well nothing wrong with luffield (it's a great place to sit!)
    I've not experienced copse yet. What was it like?
    Brilliant! I say go for one of them at least!
    Tbh I refused to watch Baku this year after I found out it was on the same day as LeMans!
    Was not impressed by that! Neither were many others it has to be said!
    I wanna go back to LeMans! That was awesome!
    copse was good as it was the first corner (glock had a really bad crash there in the gp2 race in 2007 and caught it on film...which i no longer have ). Id say try to get abbey if you go back as this years race showed it was tricky in wet conditions but stowe looks good as well. hopefully the cars will be closer next year / able to overtake.

I know about the clash this year :| at least the race started after the tragedy of toyota this year (tbh the race in baku wasnt as good as the gp2 races and rosberg had too much of a pace advantage to be a close race). hopefully next year's season will be good. wec could be interesting next year as all p1h's are restricted to 1000bhp and the privateers get drs and more aero lenience

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.