ReputationRep:
    Dictionary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barlow)
    Dictionary
    Thanks for the suggestion but I wouldn't class that as a thriller

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.logan9)
    Stephen King - Pet Sematary. I'll be honest, I read this during the night and was scared to go to the toilet haha.
    I've got that book, I look forward to reading it then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    I haven't read a book since year 7... Like seriously lol it's only now that schools over and I'm bored out my mind that I've figured out that reading books is a great way to spend time and surprisingly enjoyable aha
    At least you're being productive compared to me lol. I've been doing nothing at all (just lying in bed everyday) and enjoying the freedom of not going back to my sixth form

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kkboyk)
    At least you're being productive compared to me lol. I've been doing nothing at all (just lying in bed everyday) and enjoying the freedom of not going back to my sixth form
    I've been watching loads of tv, YouTube videos, selling my old textbooks on eBay and then reading a few books ahah

ReputationRep:
    I've been watching loads of tv, YouTube videos, selling my old textbooks on eBay and then reading a few books ahah
    What kind of YouTube videos? You should try watching tutorials on how to draw using your feet

ReputationRep:
    What kind of YouTube videos? You should try watching tutorials on how to draw using your feet
    Ermmm no thanks ahhaah - I've been watching various prank videos

ReputationRep:
    Perfect people by Peter James. Really good story all about making the perfect child. I'm not much of a reader but had me hooked

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys has anyone read any books recently which they would recommend I read as my aim this summer was to read books.
    I'm particularly interested in thriller novels
    The Girl Who Couldn't Read
    The Book Thief
    Room

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ermmm no thanks ahhaah - I've been watching various prank videos
    Mehh that's boring. I'd recommend Kid Snippet for a good laugh though.

Whenever I go on YouTube I always forget why I went on it, and end up watching something completely different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    The Book Thief
    Room

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I love this book especially since it's told from the kid's (I think his name was Jack) perspective! The feels was strong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    The Book Thief
    Room

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you could you give me a brief sentence about what each one is about ah

ReputationRep:
    I love this book especially since it's told from the kid's (I think his name was Jack) perspective! The feels was strong
    which book you on about

ReputationRep:
    George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four'. This book scares me whenever I read it, as it's so relevant to modern society. It will shock you. Orwell is a highly-talented and excellent writer. 'Nineteen Eighty Four' is, in my opinion, the best book written, that I have read, since WW2. Everyone should read this to gain a deeper understanding of life in general and politics in particular.

If you want something else, that's not so prestigious, then I'd recommend Andrew Marr's 'Head of State'. It's a fictional story about the EU referendum, with new politicians, but I found quite thrilling with what goes on.

ReputationRep:
    Invisible monsters by chuck palahniuk, if you are interested in books which make you question existence and are quite graphic. In fact most of his books are quite good- diary, haunted, survivor. Also I'm reading 1Q84 by haruki murakami which is good so far

ReputationRep:
    The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
    The Tipping Point - Malcolm Gladwell
    Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind - Yuval Noah Harari
    One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
    The Odyssey - Homer

ReputationRep:
    IKR! I consider it one of the best books I've ever read.

thank you could you give me a brief sentence about what each one is about ah
    A Gothic style sort of horror thing. Told from the perspective of a man who arrives at a mental hospital (turn of the century ish) posing as a doctor. It's actually a sequel to a book based on "The Turn of the Screw" (also on my to read list) but I read it without having read the previous book and it stands well on its own, I'd say it possibly benefits from being read first.

The Book Thief
    A novel about a young German girl who is adopted during the second world war. Told from the perspective of Death. One of my favourite books ever. Incredibly emotional. Everyone should read this book.

Room
    The story of a woman who is held hostage by a man in a single room, told from the perspective of her young child who was born and raised there. It's more about the relationship and how they deal with things than the actual events.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aear)
    George Orwell's 'Nineteen Eighty Four'. This book scares me whenever I read it, as it's so relevant to modern society. It will shock you. Orwell is a highly-talented and excellent writer. 'Nineteen Eighty Four' is, in my opinion, the best book written, that I have read, since WW2. Everyone should read this to gain a deeper understanding of life in general and politics in particular.

If you want something else, that's not so prestigious, then I'd recommend Andrew Marr's 'Head of State'. It's a fictional story about the EU referendum, with new politicians, but I found quite thrilling with what goes on.
    ahhh is that the ' big brother ' type book - i guess i should read it like but is a bit complicated with all the political stuff ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    IKR! I consider it one of the best books I've ever read.

A Gothic style sort of horror thing. Told from the perspective of a man who arrives at a mental hospital (turn of the century ish) posing as a doctor. It's actually a sequel to a book based on "The Turn of the Screw" (also on my to read list) but I read it without having read the previous book and it stands well on its own, I'd say it possibly benefits from being read first.

The Book Thief
    A novel about a young German girl who is adopted during the second world war. Told from the perspective of death. One of my favourite books ever. Incredibly emotional.

Room
    The story of a woman who is held hostage by a man in a single room, told from the perspective of her young child who was born and raised there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oooh these all sound really interesting thanks !

ReputationRep:
    oooh these all sound really interesting thanks !
    You're welcome, I feel like The Book Thief probably made me a better person. It's so good.

The second two are well known (and they've had films made of them) so should be in your local library.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.