Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    BoJo on Hilary Clinton: "She's got dyed blonde hair and pouty lips, and a steely blue stare, like a sadistic nurse in a mental hospital"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-hospital.html
    So he's insulted Ovama, Hilary and Trump. Good going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Interesting to see Hammond as Chancellor.

Never would I have imagined Boris as Foreign secretary. But hey ho,

I don't think any brexiter can call this a fix with those appointments which I suppose is one thing.
    I've been thinking about David Davies and his role since the announcement. He's a nice man and intelligent and interesting, but I seriously doubt that he has the interest or capacity to get into the labyrinthine levels of EU disengagement complexity that are going to be needed if our economic system isn't to take a battering in all sorts of key areas. He will speak wisely and make points, but little will be achieved.

This either means that we will drift more and more into market chaos, big firms leaving and collapsing key sectors, or else the plan is not to leave just yet. Apparently we do not even have a negotiating staff and cannot easily recruit one with the right experience.

I suspect this is part of a big planned fudging operation dreamed up between Dave, Theresa and Boris before Dave went.

The alternative, that it really is all up to chatty and nice David and his slim staff is almost beyond comprehension. We are severely heading into the manure.

ReputationRep:
    The people have spoken!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grand High Witch)
    The people have spoken!
    Yes, but apart from "Arghh", what have they said?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sisuphos)
    Yes Hammond is okay. Top choice for a Brexit cabinet.

Sarcasm.
    It's not just a Brexit cabinet remember also he has experience as he was Shadow Chief Secretary to the Treasury. As long as there are a substantial amount of pro Brexit ministers I'm satisfied with his appointment. I say this as someone who supported leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I've been thinking about David Davies and his role since the announcement. He's a nice man and intelligent and interesting, but I seriously doubt that he has the interest or capacity to get into the labyrinthine levels of EU disengagement complexity that are going to be needed if our economic system isn't to take a battering in all sorts of key areas. He will speak wisely and make points, but little will be achieved.

This either means that we will drift more and more into market chaos, big firms leaving and collapsing key sectors, or else the plan is not to leave just yet. Apparently we do not even have a negotiating staff and cannot easily recruit one with the right experience.

I suspect this is part of a big planned fudging operation dreamed up between Dave, Theresa and Boris before Dave went.

The alternative, that it really is all up to chatty and nice David and his slim staff is almost beyond comprehension. We are severely heading into the manure.
    David Davis introduced a private members bill in the Commons in 1999

http://www.publications.parliament.u...23/1999123.htm

Will he implement Article 50 without a parliamentary vote?

ReputationRep:
    Danny Dyer for Home Secretary

Chuckle brothers for energy minister

Wayne Rooney for Culture secretary

..and still more qualified than labours shadow cabinet.

ReputationRep:
    Danny Dyer for Home Secretary

Chuckle brothers for energy minister

Wayne Rooney for Culture secretary

..and still more qualified than labours shadow cabinet.
    A few pigeons that hang around a typical city centre are more qualified and understand the people better than Labour MP's

ReputationRep:

He is not doing this all on his own he is going to have a whole Whitehall Department behind him. They are looking for a new building so it can't be just two men and a dog.

We aren't going to leave just yet by the way. Article 50 is to be triggered around the turn of the year, May says, although that will probably slip, IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)

He's supposedly very much a Parliament man. It's not impossible to imagine him pressing for a full vote on it.

ReputationRep:
    He did most of the groundwork for the Major government on the Amsterdam Treaty.

He is probably the most experienced of the Brexiters in dealing with the minutiae of the EU bureaucracy. He biggest weakness is that virtually all of the personalities have come on the scene since he was last in office. He will have to learn from scratch who is as straight as a die and with whom the teaspoons must be counted.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but apart from "Arghh", what have they said?
    That we shall have Brexit, and by God it shall be glorious.

ReputationRep:
    Unsure what to expect about Hammond becoming the Chancellor...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor

Genius.

(Where does it say who introduced, and supported it? How far did it get...?)

Edit - answered my own question:

http://www.publications.parliament.u...t/90622-06.htm

Interesting collection of supporters:
    "Bill ordered to be brought in by Mr. David Davis, Mr. Robert Maclennan, Mr. David Maclean, Mr. Tony Benn, Mr. Derek Foster, Mr. Douglas Hogg and Mr. Eric Forth."

Failed to gain a Second Reading.

ReputationRep:
    If the Tories don't take us out they will lose the next election no problem. It'll be their version of the Lib Dems and tuition fees situation but much worse as many of their voters flock elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I found the BBC coverage of it, it's got a few extra names if anyone's interested. : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36785814

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Unsure what to expect about Hammond becoming the Chancellor...
    Anything's better than that slimy little Osborne. I've never liked him, hopefully someone with less arrogance and more dignity will do the job much better than he ever managed to.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to see Hammond as Chancellor.

Never would I have imagined Boris as Foreign secretary. But hey ho,

I don't think any brexiter can call this a fix with those appointments which I suppose is one thing.
    Boris is fluent in French and Italian and, apparently, has a good grasp of German and Spanish.

I have no doubt he will be able to misinterpret, confuse, irritate, mislead, annoy and insult most people; and that's without using a translator.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Not a fan of Boris so his appointment isn't to my liking. But the cabinet him aside seems well thought out.

ReputationRep:
    I'm happy, got a positive feeling about the future, hopefully we can make a success of it! What's happening with Michael Gove?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.