What is David Cameron's legacy? watch

• View Poll Results: what is david cameron's legacy
    an unfortunate incident involving a dead pig
    56.36%
    letting us leave the european union
    43.64%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    i'm talking about the fairly obvious negative. the elephant in the room. holding the referendum and letting us vote to leave .... duh
    Winston Churchill led Britain to victory during the Second World War, but should we remember him because he was a devout colonialist?

George Washington led the USA to independence from British colonial rule, but should we remember him because he owned slaves?

Mahatma Gandhi led Indians to independence from the Raj, but should we remember him because he was a paedophile and a misogynist?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jake4198)
    1. Winston Churchill led Britain to victory during the Second World War, but should we remember him because he was a devout colonialist?

2. George Washington led the USA to independence from British colonial rule, but should we remember him because he owned slaves?

3. Mahatma Gandhi led Indians to a independence from the Raj, but should we remember him because he was a paedophile and a misogynist?
    1. we shouldn't, but we do
    2. we shouldn't, but we do
    3. we shouldn't, but we do

are you done?

ReputationRep:
    Let's remind ourselves what David Cameron has managed to achieve:

- Turned the British economy into one of the fastest growing in the western world.
    - Attracted more ethnic minority voters in 2015 than any other western conservative party.
    - Legalised same-sex marriage.
    - Has made the Conservative Party the second largest and fastest growing party in Scotland.
    - Managed to win an overall majority for a conservative government since 1992.
    - He managed to win an overall majority in 2015 despite the polls and growing support for UKIP.
    - He took Britain out of the war in Afghanistan.
    - Defied his party and his own beliefs and acted in the interests of the nation in holding two democratic referendums.

But, of course, you don't care about the aforementioned. Let's all giggle about his supposed ****ing a pig...
    People generally like to focus on the bad things. It's all good listing the good things he did but the reality is - he won't be remembered for that. He's going to be remembered for the EU referendum same as how Blair, despite the good things he did, is remembered for the Iraq war. It's same as how when you mention John Major people immediately think of a dull, grey man. Not all of the achievements you've mentioned will overshadow the EU referendum. He will be remembered for things like the Scottish/EU referendums and him pulling the party together but no one will care about him attracting more votes from ethnic minorities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Little Popcorns)
    A Tory.

Violated a pig.

Skanked disabled people as soon as he won the election.

Called the referendum which as a result of people died and everyone turned in on eachother and became racist.

Went back home at the end of the day/his time at number 10 and whistled as though all he'd been doing all along was delivering milk to a local neighbourhood rather than ****ing up the country as his day job.
    Still better than Blair...

ReputationRep:
    1. we shouldn't, but we do
    2. we shouldn't, but we do
    3. we shouldn't, but we do

are you done?
    Are you serious? No person focuses on the negative aspects of one's character when assessing their impact throughout history. I've just done an A level in history - studying India, The Second World War and The Revolutionary War - and not a single aspect of the specification conveyed these men in a negative light. I think you're deluded if you think Gandhi, Washington and Churchill are remembered for their ills, and if that were true, why would there be a statue of Churchill and a newly built statue of Gandhi in the city of London?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    People generally like to focus on the bad things. It's all good listing the good things he did but the reality is - he won't be remembered for that. He's going to be remembered for the EU referendum same as how Blair, despite the good things he did, is remembered for the Iraq war. It's same as how when you mention John Major people immediately think of a dull, grey man. Not all of the achievements you've mentioned will overshadow the EU referendum. He will be remembered for things like the Scottish/EU referendums and him pulling the party together but no one will care about him attracting more votes from ethnic minorities.
    Here's an unpopular opinion, with the exception of the Iraqi war, Tony Blair was actually a good Prime Minister and a competent leader.

ReputationRep:
    Here's an unpopular opinion, with the exception of the Iraqi war, Tony Blair was actually a good Prime Minister and a competent leader.
    That's not an unpopular opinion. Most people agree that he was pretty good but screwed himself over with the Iraq War.

ReputationRep:
    Are you serious? No person focuses on the negative aspects of one's character when assessing their impact throughout history. I've just done an A level in history - studying India, The Second World War and The Revolutionary War - and not a single aspect of the specification conveyed these men in a negative light. I think you're deluded if you think Gandhi, Washington and Churchill are remembered for their ills, and if that were true, why would there be a statue of Churchill and a newly built statue of Gandhi in the city of London?
    What grade did you get in A-level history? And my mother used to work as a professor of history and philosophy in India (whose grandfather lived through India gaining independence), so believe me when I say that Gandhi is a polarising character in his own country, where I am from. As for Churchill and Washington, that's certainly how I remember them, and you're the deluded one if you think everyone looks at history through rose-tinted glasses.

Why are you so offended that David Cameron will likely be remembered for his negatives, the last of which is seriously detrimental to this country? You can't help what first comes to mind when you think of a politician. Calm down.

ReputationRep:
    What grade did you get in A-level history? And my mother used to work as a professor of history and philosophy in India (whose grandfather lived through India gaining independence), so believe me when I say that Gandhi is a polarising character in his own country, where I am from. As for Churchill and Washington, that's certainly how I remember them, and you're the deluded one if you think everyone looks at history through rose-tinted glasses.

Why are you so offended that David Cameron will likely be remembered for his negatives, the last of which is seriously detrimental to this country? You can't help what first comes to mind when you think of a politician. Calm down.
    I got four As and a B in my AS levels, with the As in Economics, Maths and History, and the B in Further Maths (I got an A in Spanish as well but it's my native language so I'm not allowed to count it). I can't tell you my A levels because I don't have them.

I'm not offended by your not agreeing with David Cameron, but I am offended by the notion he won't be remembered for the good work he did as Prime Minister. Tony Blair is a man with whom I have many disagreements on policy, and his decision to invade Iraq was a catastrophe, but I'm mature enough to admit he was a skillful leader who managed to win three General Elections.

ReputationRep:
    I got four As and a B in my AS levels, with the As in Economics, Maths and History, and the B in Further Maths (I got an A in Spanish as well but it's my native language so I'm not allowed to count it). I can't tell you my A levels because I don't have them.

I'm not offended by your not agreeing with David Cameron, but I am offended by the notion he won't be remembered for the good work he did as Prime Minister. Tony Blair is a man with whom I have many disagreements on policy, and his decision to invade Iraq was a catastrophe, but I'm mature enough to admit he was a skillful leader who managed to win three General Elections.
    Really?

Course:- Economics (and Russian)Universities:- Leeds (offer AAB)- Glasgow (offer AAB)- Heriot Watt (offer BBB)- Nottingham Trent (offer BBC)- Southampton (waiting)GCSE grades:- 3 A*s, 4 As and 4 BsAS grades (predicted/achieved):- ABCD (achieved)A2 grades (predicted/achieved):- AAB (predicted)
    And I don't understand what was so difficult about you simply commenting: "this is what I think he will be remembered for" instead of being condescending and trying to pick a fight. There are obviously loads of people in this thread who think he will be remembered for ****ing a dead pig and/or the EU referendum. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    the worst PM of all time.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,at AS level I got ABCD in history, geography, maths and economics respectively.I want to do economics at university.I know I got a grade D, however my teacher left us just three months in and we weren't given a replacement. Nobody got higher than a grade D.A2 economics isn't offered by my college.My teachers have predicted me ABB.Should I apply to ABB unis, BBB unis or BCC unis?Please help,Thanks
    jake4198 If you're going to act like you're superior in every single post you quote me with, at least be honest. Fair enough that you got the A in history, though.

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 560994

If you look at my posts they're full of contradictions.
    Don't believe you, sorry. Also hoped you're not stupid enough to post your full name and candidate details on a student forum, so I feel sorry for whoever you're putting at risk.

ReputationRep:
    jake4198 If you're going to act like you're superior in every single post you quote me with, at least be honest. Fair enough that you got the A in history, though.
    I'm not attacking you in every single post you do, but I do find it strange that you seem to go out of your way to hate on people who disagree with you...

ReputationRep:
    A spinless fool who, like Boris & Farage, helped plunge Britain into one of the most politically difficult times in recent history, and then left everyone else to deal with the mess.

It's a shame 'cause he wasn't half-bad beforehand.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not attacking you in every single post you do, but I do find it strange that you seem to go out of your way to hate on people who disagree with you...
    I don't see how I'm going out of my way to hate on you. I just find you a bit annoying and, now, seriously lacking in credibility.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how I'm going out of my way to hate on you. I just find you a bit annoying and, now, seriously lacking in credibility.
    There you go. A safe copy of my exam results. If you don't want to believe them fine, but I do find it rude to call me a liar.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    There you go. A safe copy of my exam results. If you don't want to believe them fine, but I do find it rude to call me a liar.

Name:  AS Results.png
Views: 201
Size:  78.4 KB
    You've edited this, Jake. Or are we not going to talk about how you've done 6 units of mathematics modules, but only achieved one AS level maths grade? Where's further maths?

ReputationRep:
    You've edited this, Jake. Or are we not going to talk about how you've done 6 units of mathematics modules, but only achieved one AS level maths grade? Where's further maths?
    You don't get a further maths grade like the rest, if you do AQA you'd understand it's given to you like that. What do you want from me? A physical picture? A picture of my offers at uni? My certificates? I feel as though all we do is go around in circles. If you want to know some good news, I probably won't be going to uni because Core 3 was the worst experience of my life. You can make fun then.

ReputationRep:
    He will forever be remembered for his violation of a pig!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.