Turn on thread page Beta

B1007 – Gender, Sex, and Discrimination Bill 2016 (Second Reading) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Moron, singular.
    Not really. Judicial precedent is created via a number of procedures and is ultimately decided by the majority vote in parliament. The bill itself is written and altered by numerous people.

I probably should have written "a bunch of morons".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _howl)
    Not really. Judicial precedent is created via a number of procedures and is ultimately decided by the majority vote in parliament. The bill itself is written and altered by numerous people.
    This bill wasn't. Look at the top:

B1007 – Gender, Sex, and Discrimination Bill 2016 (Second Reading), Nigel Farage MEP MP
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by MattElves)
    First of all, I would have to very much agree with PetrosAC in that this is an extremely difficult bill to enforce. However, at this point I do not even believe that it matters considering the fact that this bill is so overwhelmingly negative and could have deep-routed consequences in the future, including taking an obvious step backwards in equal rights for the LGBT+ community. Furthermore, this bill would leave people who have already transitioned in limbo, resulting in alienation from society which is undoubtedly dangerous and could lead to disastrous effects for them as a group, and the wider society as a result. Intolerance should never be encouraged by Government, particularly when it can result in threatening behaviour which would leave a whole minority vulnerable.Meanwhile, Section 3 of this bill is absolutely problematic in that you are putting the will of businesses above that of individuals which is utterly wrong and, as such, leaves a whole group of people open to potential discrimination which they should not have to face in their day-to-day lives. I do respect difference of opinions here, and do understand that often this is a result of religious beliefs but on balance I do think that allowing private organisations to discriminate only against sexual orientation is destructive - both in practice and in terms of symbolism (in that it is the only group which can actually be discriminated against by these businesses). Likewise, I would also argue that being allowed to employ a British citizen over a foreign citizen is fundamentally flawed, and once again leads to unequal opportunities in this country despite the fact we pride ourselves on being able to provide the absolute opposite.

Section 4 is simply disrespectful in that you would rename a whole movement within Government purely to make a point and effectively alienate transgender people while also disregarding hugely important transgender people who fought for the rights of lesbians, gays and bisexuals just as they did for transgender people. In addition, the fact that funding for LGBT+ charities would be terminated is utterly disgusting, regardless of whether you agree with the group because, at the end of the day, these charities do very important work in tackling the fact that “LGB youth are 4 times more likely to attempt suicide” than their heterosexual counterparts, and that “nearly half of young transgender people have seriously thought about taking their own lives”. [Source: http://www.thetrevorproject.org/page...about-suicide]. This would be like a two fold blow, considering the fact that there is a clear potential for the suicide rate of the LGBT+ community to rise after the implementation of this bill.

Also, how in any way would it be fair to terminate funding to these groups? It wouldn't just be a step in the wrong direction, it would be a colossal leap backwards. In the same way, any implementation of section 5 would be about as anti-progressive as possible, considering that the first time legislation of this kind was introduced was in 1988 with the introduction of Section 28 of the Local Government Act of 1988. It was rightly repealed in 2003 when it became very clear that it had been wrong, and returning to it now would essentially take us back 28 years!Once again, this kind of legislation could lead to a clear difficulty of self-acceptance and as such could potentially have dangerous consequences including such as increasing the already astronomically high suicide rate within LGBT+ teens. Regardless of whether you agree with their lifestyle, I believe that you would value all human life and thus I urge you to consider these consequences.

As such, I would therefore also urge all MPs to vote against this bill. Even if you do not agree with the LGBT+ community it is important to realise that this bill could certainly lead to pitting people against each other and effectively turn society into a less tolerant, more divisive, nation. In addition to this, there is no doubt that this bill could have a profound impact on the lives of LGBT+ people, particularly those who are transgender, which is particularly important due to the fact that they already have a frighteningly high suicide rate and effectively shunning them from society would only make this worse. It could also undoubtedly lead to people thinking that they are justified in their homophobic behaviour which is greatly destructive and encouraging this behaviour is frankly wrong on all levels.
    Hear, Hear!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill has been withdrawn.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 23, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.