Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Corbyn ratings at - 41% after 10 months in the job Watch

Labour is dissolving. Sad times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    A centre left viewpoint though brings with it liberal attitudes towards immigration. If Labour did become very protectionist and started to nationalise industries then it would lose lots of middle England votes to the tories.

It's between a rock and a hard place.
    I dont think it HAS to be pro immigration but it probably should. In post BREXIT this may not be such a problem as there will be some points based system and labour can do something about it. I've read quite a few commentators saying it would help if there was money in place to help immigration where it's taking place but the irony being its the places that dont get much immigration that are most apposed to it.

I have no idea how labour puts a coalition together to win middle england/elderly/ scotland etc. My view is they probably should just split. It will mean tories for probably another 10 years but it cant go on like this much longer.

ReputationRep:
    Corbyn's ratings (if true) reflect the total weight of the mainstream media and the establishment acting against him. They have massive influence with casual voters who never look behind the headlines. They don't want him because he is going to break their total dominance of society.
    He has been painted as hard left, but what does that mean?
    He is against austerity and wants a decent minimum wage.
    He wants to stop zero hours contracts and the general undermining of fair pay and conditions,
    He wants to stop the privatisation and under-funding in the NHS.
    He wants to build enough housing so people can afford to buy or rent without using half or more of their earnings to do it and lead a life of debt.
    He wants to abolish tuition fees so everyone from whatever background can have access to university without saddling themselves with a mountain of debt.
    He wants to invest in the UK industry and public services, and stop them being at the mercy of profiteers.
    He is against war.
    He is against nuclear weapons, their danger, and the ludicrous waste of resources they represent.

Never before has the been this opportunity to get back a voice for the people. Every young person and anyone earning less than £150,000 a year (those earning more don't need him), should be welcoming the opportunity he represents. It is highly unlikely that you will ever get the chance again to have a government that acts in the interest of 99% of the people rather than the 1% and the establishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Poor Corby
    That is Putin it mildly

(Original post by viffer)
    That is Putin it mildly
    Oh well, at least Theresa May get better ratings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Amazing how much Blair stood out in the crowd. He was something of a marvel in those days. I don't remember much from then, except I do have a memory of him becoming Prime Minister and in summer term at school we were all quite excited, it seemed like a really big and interesting thing.
    When Blair came along people where full of hope. The Conservatives had crushed the unions, and restored the bosses total dominance. They had instilled the idea of affluence at any cost. Blair seemed to be an answer, and initially brought in some reforms and changes welcomed by the public. After a while this started to diminish, and he lost popularity, his ideas started to become more allined with the Conservatives, and to cap it all he took us into a disastrous war of aggression in an act of self aggrandisement. Since then the Labour Party have continued with his Tory lite approach, thinking it will still work. What they don't realise is that if people want Tory policies they will now vote Tory or even worse UKIP. In the end Blair was a big disappointment and worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Labour is dissolving. Sad times.
    Labour dissolved years ago, Corbyn is reviving it,

ReputationRep:
    To be fair it's the opposite of what Blair's like now too. On every public appearance he seems bitter, downtrodden and downright miserable.

I think we are seeing the Labour party being written out of history at the moment. Scotland has gone, Wales is going, the North could well go to UKIP.
    Corbyn has been awful but I don't think he's caused this, he's simply sped up the process.
    Unrestricted capitalism has led to many parts of the country simply being left behind. Many feel angry and this anger has been directed by th e likes of the Mail, Sun and Express at immigrants, public sector works, people on benefits and the EU, rather than the real source of the problem.

We're going to have a one party state soon and while some may see that as good, it's going to be awful for our democracy.
    Corbyn is the one now being downtrodden. The same thing was happening to the SNP in Scotland. Eventually they got the message through to the people that they truly represented them, and it was game over for the Tories and old New Labour. Corbyn is the start of peoples representation in the rest UK, and the establishment are firmly against that happening. Don't let them win.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Corbyn's opponents have been receiving death, rape and violent threats against them. If these are the sorts of people that have been joining the party in support of corbyn labour might as well dissolve now. It is shocking the atmosphere that has been created under him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Corbyn's opponents have been receiving death, rape and violent threats against them. If these are the sorts of people that have been joining the party in support of corbyn labour might as well dissolve now. It is shocking the atmosphere that has been created under him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Some of the SWP folks who are really Corbyn's closest political allies are real headbangers, but I suspect these are coming from London's street-fighting Class War / anarchist types, they are quite into street revolution and view the 'mainstream' Labour politicians as class traitors.

ReputationRep:
    My hope is that things go in cycles. In the 80s people were saying Labour were finished and in the 90s they won a majority of over 100.
    Then in the 2000s people were saying that the Tory party were finished and now they have a majority.

Things can change quickly and perhaps they will but I am struggling to see it at the moment. Whichever way Labour goes and whichever leader it chooses, it will leak support somewhere.

The tories are able to appeal with only a small UKIP threat. Labour have bigger threats in every direction.

I think anyone who feels that Labour's problems can be solved by a simple change in leader is deluded. Unless there is an Obama type, once in a generation candidate I just cannot see it.
    For decades now various leaders have been able to patch the various Labour factions together. Kinnock did it,Blair did it, Brown did it, Miliband did it, although less convincingly. But it became harder each time and now under Corbyn we are seeing those very fragile bonds smash.
    Sorry to sound all depressive about it but I really do feel we are seeing the fatal demise of Labour.
    Unfortunately the Labour MPs in parliament are mainly still those that got voted in when Blair was around, and haven't moved with the times. Under Corbyn there would be a shift. There is currently a huge backlash aginst the establishment, as illustrated by the rise of UKIP and the SNP in Scotland and the result of the EU referendum. Corbyn is the anti-establishment candidate in the UK, and if people stop listening to the rubbish the media and the PLP are saying about him, he (and the people) can win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abc:))
    So... I am pretty left wing and I vote Labour. I would never vote Tory and don't align myself with their values. I can't stand Jeremy Corbyn, and I also think his Blairite opponents are childish and naive and idiotic. Neither Conservatives nor Labour work for me. A vote for another party is a waste. The only party I really like is SNP, and I'm bloody English!! Wth do I do... other than move to Scotland lol
    What is it you don't like about Corbyn, he is about the closest thing we have to the SNP in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    yes except for london, scotland, wales, a lot of the north and a few urban cities there's no desire for center left politics. If a capable leader can put a coherent message across then there's no reason why it could not win.
    Corbyn is but the mainstream media won't cover any of his speeches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't believe all you read in the headlines, find the small print. Very little of this rhetoric has been substantiated in any way.
    Even the crying NEC rep, was crying about the 'threatening' letter to the NEC, suggesting that Corbyn may have presented a legal challenge to the NEC had he lost the vote, she posted her own contact details publicly on her own facebook page and someone dared to share them, and a female.colleague on the NEC had a stalker who was nothing to do with the Labour Party and Corbyn.
    A new tack the media are also taking to smear him, is by somehow associating these so called threats, with the Jo Cox murder, who everyone knows but may have forgotten where to do with a nutter who was against the EU and nothing to do with Corbyn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliccam)
    'Left' is a comfortable lexicological bedfellow when referring to Corbyn but juxtapositioning 'centre' to the word 'left' makes it a bit less so imo

ReputationRep:
    Don't believe all you read in the headlines, find the small print. Very little of this rhetoric has been substantiated in any way.
    Even the crying NEC rep, was crying about the 'threatening' letter to the NEC, suggesting that Corbyn may have presented a legal challenge to the NEC had he lost the vote, she posted her own contact details publicly on her own facebook page and someone dared to share them, and a female.colleague on the NEC had a stalker who was nothing to do with the Labour Party and Corbyn.
    A new tack the media are also taking to smear him, is by somehow associating these so called threats, with the Jo Cox murder, who everyone knows but may have forgotten where to do with a nutter who was against the EU and nothing to do with Corbyn.
    There does seem to be a tendency for Labour MPs opposed to Corbyn to use any means to try and discredit him. It's been noticeable that some of the allegations about death threats being received, or threats to women MPs, have on close examination been shown to be rather less of a threat than claimed. However, they aren't all in that category.

We seem to be reverting to the rough house politics of the Labour Party that used to operate in the 70s and 80s. At that time, fisticuffs in party meetings were not unknown and it was commonplace for MPs and party leaders to have stuff thrown at them when speaking at party functions.

ReputationRep:
    This could not be more wrong. For a start we would not have had an EU ref under labour... quite difference to how today looks no?
    I don't see how this discredits my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    There does seem to be a tendency for Labour MPs opposed to Corbyn to use any means to try and discredit him. It's been noticeable that some of the allegations about death threats being received, or threats to women MPs, have on close examination been shown to be rather less of a threat than claimed. However, they aren't all in that category.

We seem to be reverting to the rough house politics of the Labour Party that used to operate in the 70s and 80s. At that time, fisticuffs in party meetings were not unknown and it was commonplace for MPs and party leaders to have stuff thrown at them when speaking at party functions.
    Eagle had a brick through her offices window?!

(Original post by TercioOfParma)
    I don't see how this discredits my point.

If you cant tell the difference between being in and out of the EU then I really cant help you

ReputationRep:
    Eagle had a brick through her offices window?!

If you cant tell the difference between being in and out of the EU then I really cant help you
    Of course I can. I don't see how that damages the need for corbyn though.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Telling someone they are going to get it like Jo Cox, that there will be a queue of men waiting to rape you when you go outside, or throwing bricks through office windows, show just how toxic some of the views of corbyn's supporters. You cannot simply wish some of this stuff away as exaggeration. The simply fact is some of corbyn's supporters are extremists, willing to use political intimidation as a viable tactic. It's being done in his name and he needs to be seen to do more to deal with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.