The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
clare_m
I CANT WIN!! ive apologised for UEA and was taking part in a moan about Warwick (which i personally feel i have grounds to) and now im being slagged off for that. ITS MY OPINION!! IT DOES NOT MAKE ME A TWAT!! I was explaining how i felt on the open day - it is my experience and NOT YOURS so you have no right to have a go at me!! Unlike other universities that i have been to, at the Economics lecture at the Warwick open day last year they hardly went over the courses and instead boasted about the prestigious research that had been undertaken there. For me this was not useful and gave me a negative view of them, rather than the positive, encouraging view that i had been hoping for, from a university that has been given much praise, especially in the economics field.
Im very sorry for the person who opened this thread. i have only voiced my views on what i thought was a democratic and open-minded thread. I have however been mistaken in this and instead been hounded and shunned for any views i have expressed. As has been said, go wherever you want to, with the course that you feel most comfortable with. I dont know about anyone else but the open days were clear cut for me; i felt like exeter was a place i could see myself living for 3 years.

P.S. where is TVU - im guessing this is an insult, seeing as though it followed me being called a "twat" - how original by the way - i can tell u'll go far :tongue:

Don't apologise for insulting Warwick, I've gotten away with it for ages so you have nothing to apoligise for!!! :wink:
Reply 41
EXACTLY!! No matter what i say on here, i always get moaned at!! ITS NOT FAIR!!

Perhaps its my accent...
Are you being tongue-in-cheek with your "It's not fair" comments? Seriously? Are you, like, 12?
Reply 43
clare_m
EXACTLY!! No matter what i say on here, i always get moaned at!! ITS NOT FAIR!!

Perhaps its my accent...

I vow to shout at anyone who unjustly shouts at you!!! :wink:
Reply 44
PrincessKaty
Are you being tongue-in-cheek with your "It's not fair" comments? Seriously? Are you, like, 12?

the fact that your asking concerns me greatly...

where are you planning to go off to uni leekey? were u a UEA supporter?
Reply 45
clare_m
the fact that your asking concerns me greatly...

where are you planning to go off to uni leekey? were u a UEA supporter?

I'm going to Edinburgh and I prefer to UEA to most other unis so I supported them!!! :smile:
Reply 46
Leekey
I'm going to Edinburgh and I prefer to UEA to most other unis so I supported them!!! :smile:

whats wrong with exeter? :mad: :frown:
Reply 47
clare_m
whats wrong with exeter? :mad: :frown:

Nothing, I have never actually visited but I'm sure its lovely. Don't really see why my opinion of one should affect the other. :confused:
Reply 48
i guess it shouldnt, apart from the fact that the thread is to see who the "winner" is?! dont u start having a moan at me anyway!! lol
Reply 49
clare_m

Im very sorry for the person who opened this thread. i have only voiced my views on what i thought was a democratic and open-minded thread. I have however been mistaken in this and instead been hounded and shunned for any views i have expressed.

I think the problem stemmed from your 'UEA is shit' comment which made you look like an uninformed fool trying to put a very respectable university down to make another look better. If you had actually backed up that claim (which you attempted and failed to do in, yet again, an incredibly uniformed, and dare I say, pathetic way) then maybe you would have come out of this 'argument' with some credibility. Unfortunately for you, you didn't manage that, and now you're having a cry about it. Grow up.
worried_mess
Who wins!

I would say Exeter...
Leekey
They made a point of demanding high grades and a swarms of uninformed 18 year olds decided that if it was hard to get into then it must be good. The whole thing could just have easily backfired but fortunately for them it worked out nicely and they stand today as a great educational institution. There is also the quite cynical view that the government(s) HAD to make a few from this group successful to justify thier creation (i.e. not another situation like the one Maggie gave us) and therefore Wariwck and York have been gifted a good reputation because of this. I personally don't buy that particular interpretation but its kinda the fringe conspiracy theory one that people band about. I would however dispute that Warwick has achieved great things, admittely its provides a first class education and justifies its position as a great uni BUT what / who has it produced of really note?!? :confused:

True, (sorry mom btw :biggrin: ) I guess it hasn't produced that many people of note beyond academic circles but this will surely change soon from now. It doesn't have that bad a crop though, Anne Fine, Baroness Amos, Estelle Morris, my mom (well, maybe scrub the last two :wink:) .

I can't understand how its English and Law departments got off the ground to the extent which they have done though. If you ask me, although AAA for Law may be reflective of current trends, it still seems as though your being shortchanged; Warwick has managed to pull a sneaky one over the likes of Manchester, Birmingham etc.

I suppose if a new university were to be built from scratch in the UK tomorrow, Warwick wouldn't be a bad template at all.
Reply 52
Chris_
I think the problem stemmed from your 'UEA is shit' comment which made you look like an uninformed fool trying to put a very respectable university down to make another look better. If you had actually backed up that claim (which you attempted and failed to do in, yet again, an incredibly uniformed, and dare I say, pathetic way) then maybe you would have come out of this 'argument' with some credibility. Unfortunately for you, you didn't manage that, and now you're having a cry about it. Grow up.

ive apologised already. the fact is that when i was looking at uni's, UEA was not even one i would have considered due to the grades that they wanted ( lower than i would get) and so when the thread first opened i gave an opinion that FIRST came to mind when comparing it to a uni i really wanted to go to. This view is not one i have just made up, it has been formed from a variety of people that i have heard talking about UEA and from the general impression that has been given off to me by a varitey of sources, e.g career advisers etc. As i have also already said on here, if the uni is better than i have heard then im sorry. i have explained why i have given ALL of my viewpoints on UEA and therefore i do not want to do it again. Lastly, Im not having a cry about anything. I dont know where your from or who you are, but personally if people start calling me a "twat" i sort of like to defend myself as im sorry but they dont know me, and have no right to start throwing insults at me!
Reply 53
PLEASE REMEMBER PEOPLE, we are 'discussing' universities! - i am not bad mouthing you or your family, so please do not start getting personally abusive - as this, more than anything else will make YOU look childish
Reply 54
I'd say Exeter because it has a better name.
Reply 55
Pegasus
I'd say Exeter because it has a better name.

Actually I just remembered I don't like Exeter because they didn't send me a prospectus.

...but perhaps thats better than Kent who just got carried away and sent me three...
Reply 56
I'd go to Exeter, but that's more personal preference than anything else.
Reply 57
awww, u go to bristol uni. i wanted to go there! i didnt even bother applying though as they wanted 3 A's for economics and my school would only give me ABB at the time i was applying. now they have decided differently but thats life for u - pretty shit!! what course is it that your studying?
Reply 58
Exeter is better than UEA as Exeter is in a better position in the league table than UEA.
Reply 59
clare_m
awww, u go to bristol uni. i wanted to go there! i didnt even bother applying though as they wanted 3 A's for economics and my school would only give me ABB at the time i was applying. now they have decided differently but thats life for u - pretty shit!! what course is it that your studying?

medicine. want to live in cheltenham (or possibly london) when i'm older so very convenient for hospital placements :smile:

did you say you were going to exeter? one of my mates is at Duryard (sp?) and is really enjoying it - has a bit of a rep for sloaney green-welly girls in land-rovers though, similar to bristol in that respect.

Latest

Trending

Trending