Books to compare

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys would be a good one - lots of themes of female mental illness that could be easily compared to those in The Yellow Wallpaper
    Do you know of any others (preferably female mental illness)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sunshine45)
    Do you know of any others (preferably female mental illness)
    Girl, Interrupted is about a female mental institution (I've only seen the film though - I haven't read the book) and The Virgin Suicides deals with teenage depression. You could even have a look at Ophelia in Hamlet and her madness/suicide.

I also found a list on good reads here https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/...Mental_Illness

Hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to compare the secret agent with the road-any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drriversong)
    I'd like to compare the secret agent with the road-any ideas?
    I'm afraid I haven't read either of those, so I can't give you any specifics.

In order to find stuff to compare, you could look at the characters, the themes, any motifs, or any similar incidents in both novels. However, they do not have to be similar to compare them - looking at any differences is also a way to approach this.

From the wikipeidia on both books, it looks like both central characters have relationships with people who are vulnerable/rely on them - in The Secret Agent the main character has a brother with learning difficulties and the main character in The Road has to look after his son. Maybe that is something you can look at? But again, I haven't read either so I don't know if that'll work.

ReputationRep:
    x

Wish I saw this earlier! I've compared 1989 by Orwell and The Establishment by Owen Jones.

Getting feedback tomorrow. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Wish I saw this earlier! I've compared 1989 by Orwell and The Establishment by Owen Jones.

Getting feedback tomorrow. :afraid:
    Ah good luck! Was it difficult to compare a fiction to a non-fiction book?

ReputationRep:
    Ah good luck! Was it difficult to compare a fiction to a non-fiction book?
    Really difficult! But also really fun.

ReputationRep:
    Fox Corner "To Kill A Mockingbird" for Bildungsroman?

ReputationRep:
    I need to compare Sense and Sensibility to something...struggling, any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heidiwright)
    I need to compare Sense and Sensibility to something...struggling, any ideas?
    Hmm well it depends what themes you want to look at in the book. You could look at how sisters or family is represented, and compare it with something like Little Women by Louisa May Alcott, or Wise Children by Angela Carter.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, so for my coursework i have chosen to study and compare Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre and Laline Paull's 'The Bees', a dystopian text. I am thinking of comparing and contrasting the theme of power and control but i seem to be struggling to find area's i may look at in each text that shows similarities. Any Help?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 24, 2016
TSR Support Team
Today on TSR
Poll
Does your body insecurities make you avoid PE or exercise?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.