Turn on thread page Beta

My hamster died :( The aftermath watch

ReputationRep:
    haha.. says the person who bleaches hamsters to death

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's right in front of a radiator on top of the TV cabinet. But the radiator is hardly on. Which also happens to be right next to the window.
    I think it might have died of natural causes pet :hugs: don't beat yourself up about it, hamsters can survive ages without food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubblebee)
    I think it might have died of natural causes pet :hugs: don't beat yourself up about it, hamsters can survive ages without food.

and water?

my mice drink like mad all the time

surely theyre not much different

Longer than a week? Would that also explain the poo underneath itself?

(Original post by debbiet_04)
    and water?

my mice drink like mad all the time

surely theyre not much different
    The water was full.

ReputationRep:
    :mad: :confused: Who negged me (three cowardly people) just trying to be of help. Along come three little turds (probably in cahoots) with no integrity, honesty or decency negged me without a name or explanation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Longer than a week? Would that also explain the poo underneath itself?
    Wet tail

The most serious intestinal disease of hamsters is "wet tail", or proliferative ileitis, which is most common among weaning hamsters (3-6 weeks) and Syrian hamsters. Symptoms include lethargy, increased irritability, hunched posture, fluid or bloody diarrhea, a wet, soiled anal area and tail, and, sometimes, rectal prolapse. A veterinarian is needed to immediately examine and evaluate the situation and will usually treat the problem with fluid replacement, oral antidiarrheal medication, and antibiotics, although treatment is often unrewarding, and death may occur as soon as 48 hours after the onset of initial signs.[3]
    I thought the wet tail sounded familar.

I thought the wet tail sounded familar.
    The hamster underneath the first one also died. She was fed too, maybe it was wet-tail? Or maybe I'm just looking for excuses for being a dumb****?

ReputationRep:
    No I'm sure you couldn't have killed him just by not feeding him for a week, sadly they are frail little things and often do die. I had one which lasted 6 years and 8 house moves but another died at only a few months old.
    Don't beat yourself up about it.

ReputationRep:
    The plot thickens. Read the second paragraph your hamster obv died of diarrhea due to excessive cucumber intake http://www.petshub.com/hamster/knowledge-hamsters.php

ReputationRep:
    No I'm sure you couldn't have killed him just by not feeding him for a week, sadly they are frail little things and often do die. I had one which lasted 6 years and 8 house moves but another died at only a few months old.
    They are actually quite hardy they live in the dessert under pretty harsh conditions. I know you're only trying to be kind but the fact that they both died shows it was environmental rather than a duff hamster. You still might be able to get a refund though if you kick up a fuss.

Thanks for the kind words Bubblebee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margerie Dawes)
    They are actually quite hardy they live in the dessert under pretty harsh conditions. I know you're only trying to be kind but the fact that they both died shows it was environmental rather than a duff hamster. You still might be able to get a refund though if you kick up a fuss.
    But you forget, the hamsters we keep in cages are quite different to wild ones. And I doubt anyone should take pet advice from someone who actively poisions animals when they get boring.

ReputationRep:
    Well, firstly, don't beat yourself up over a hamster. It's too bad - you can't change it. Just don't forget to feed your pets next time!

And secondly, your hamster was more of a friend to you than any of your friends? Man, you need to go out there and get a life! Really not trying to be harsh here, but in the end, we need more than a pet to help us through life! Even a friend of mine who's obsessed with her dog (literally wouldn't go anywhere without him) - even her, when she was horribly ill, it was her mum she wanted - even her dog wasn't quite enough. You need to make some real friends I think, for your own good.

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if a giant hamster locked you up in a cage and told you you were its best friend and gave you a cucumber and then you didn't see it again for a week and you died because all you had to eat was a cucumber.

That would be hilarious.

ReputationRep:
    But you forget, the hamsters we keep in cages are quite different to wild ones. And I doubt anyone should take pet advice from someone who actively poisions animals when they get boring.
    Er no they're still exactly the same in evolutionary terms actually unlike dogs and cats they have hardly been bread at all. Also, my point was that as they both died it must be through some fault of the owner and can't be down to just having a dodgy hamster.

Anyway, I put mine down as it had come to the end of its little life. I spent ages preparing the bleach and was pretty nice about it so don't be so rude please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margerie Dawes)
    Er no they're still exactly the same in evolutionary terms actually unlike dogs and cats they have hardly been bread at all. Also my point was that as they both died it must be throug some fault of the owner and can't be down to just having a dodgy hamster.

Anyway I put it down as it had come to the end of its little life I spent ages preparing the bleach and was pretty nice about it so don't be so rude please.

how did you come to the conclusion is was the end of its little life? was it already dying or were you just simply bored?

ReputationRep:
    No but I didn't really have the time or inclination to look after it anymore.Lets face facts we decide how many live and die by buying or not buying them supply and demand etc.

I'm a pretty nice guy, I've been negged anon four times which is pretty below the belt IMO. It only made a few loud squeeks and then kind of went floppy I don't see why everyone keeps making it into such a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanaanY)
    you are a horrible hamster keeper. On the brightside he is probably in hamster heaven.
    That's so true.
    He's in a happier place.
    ...because of your stupidity.
    either way you look at it...
    theirs bad and good, be stubborn and focus on the good, eh?

ReputationRep:
    make a ham(ster) sandwich?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.