Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.J.)
    That's the way I do: Always ask your team and boss if they have work for you, especially at the end of the day. If they say no, you may go and have not destroyed your rep.
    Everyday?

It's like saying 'Mommy, can i go home now' :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drogue)
    Not at all. I'm comparing the average partner at a big 4 with the average MD. Most MDs aren't on £10m, they're on lower millions. Most partners at the big 4 are on nearer £1m, so clearly a 2-5x difference in salary, but not a 10x one. Similarly after 8-10 years or so you'd expect to be on perhaps a £500k-million in IB, and something nearer £200k in accountancy. Again, we're talking a 2-5x difference in salary, but not a 10x one.

Also, you want to compare like with like with regards to people too. The average starter at a BB is generally higher achieving than the average big 4 starter. So someone could well be good enough to be a big hitter at a big 4, but would be pretty average in an IB intake. Meaning the multiples for that person could be lower, since they'd be nearer the top end at the big 4 and in the middle at the BB.

I'm not sure how the ratio of Big4 partners to rest of the staff compares to the ratio of MD's to lower downs in banks. The figures for Goldman's PMDs are public, and they works out at about $7m per person and about 1 PMD for every 100 employees. I know that being insanely profitable, they're not an amazingly fair example, but Goldman has about 30,000 employees and pulls $40bn in revenues, wheras PwC has 140,000 employees and pulls half that. I imagine therefore there are either waaay fewer partners at PwC, or they all earn an awful lot less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kahler_potential)
    I'm not sure how the ratio of Big4 partners to rest of the staff compares to the ratio of MD's to lower downs in banks. The figures for Goldman's PMDs are public, and they works out at about $7m per person and about 1 PMD for every 100 employees. I know that being insanely profitable, they're not an amazingly fair example, but Goldman has about 30,000 employees and pulls $40bn in revenues, wheras PwC has 140,000 employees and pulls half that. I imagine therefore there are either waaay fewer partners at PwC, or they all earn an awful lot less.
    Or they have a different distribution. Remember Goldman has shareholders, so nowhere near that £7m per employee goes out in bonuses. When you take off dividends and such, there's a lot less that is paid to the employees. IIRC the highest paid Goldman bonus was to a star trader and wasn't much over £10m. Though I may be wrong. There were certainly very, very few people (like less than 10, IIRC) on £10m+ bonuses.

ReputationRep:
    Normally the rumours about Goldman's highest paid trader float around the $50-100m mark. I imagine there are about 100 people at Goldman consistently pulling in more than $20m per annum. That will basically be about half the PMD pool, the executive board and a few star bankers and traders who for whatever reason haven't been promoted to partner.

The $7m per head figure was plucked out of the interweb, this blog claims the ultimate source is the WSJ:
    http://mckhaw.wordpress.com/2006/10/...s-secret-rite/

ReputationRep:
    Normally the rumours about Goldman's highest paid trader float around the $50-100m mark. I imagine there are about 100 people at Goldman consistently pulling in more than $20m per annum. That will basically be about half the PMD pool, the executive board and a few star bankers and traders who for whatever reason haven't been promoted to partner.
    Any links for this, as it's very different than I'd heard. However my comments were very much UK centred, as we seemed to be looking at UK jobs.

The $7m per head figure was plucked out of the interweb, this blog claims the ultimate source is the WSJ:
    http://mckhaw.wordpress.com/2006/10/...s-secret-rite/
    $7m per PMD, yes. Which corresponds with what I've been saying about it being a 2-5x multiple of a big 4 partner, but not a 10x one. Even with Goldman being the top in terms of partner remuneration, the top accountancy firms regularly pay partners ~£700k, or roughly 5 times less. Look at the salaries of MDs at most IBs and it's far lower than $7m.

ReputationRep:
    Goldman's star trader(i think he's a swede) who works mainly in fleet street desk is on £50mln + bonus.. but then again..he's a prop trader... completely different

ReputationRep:
    People should read dealbreaker's analysis on trading and the misperception of making a billion and all that ****.

ReputationRep:
    theres one guy who makes a billion..its because he owns the hedge fund..

ReputationRep:
    There's many more than one. There's a couple over a billion a year, and a good handful who've made a billion over their careers.

ReputationRep:
    maybe we're talking in diff currencies/diff years..i dno..
    wher did u gt ur info frm... mines frm trader magazine..bout couple months ago edition

ReputationRep:
    little bit of topic

how much would you say the CEO(mike evans) of this firm is worth?
    http://www.evansrandall.com/Home.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T_Bag)
    Everyday?

It's like saying 'Mommy, can i go home now' :p:

no, not everyday...however, if the work is done, and they do not give you anything new to start with...why not leave the office a bit earlier

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.J.)
    no, not everyday...however, if the work is done, and they do not give you anything new to start with...why not leave the office a bit earlier
    For one, you could read up on some stuff and ask questions about that, given they're not too busy. If you do it in the right way and at the right time and with the right person, it might add some plus points.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.