Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dad forcing me to marry someone. @Islam Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulaimanali)
    It's not a backward idea..just because you didn't know about it. You just try to pick things out in Islam that can be interpreted negatively.
    So telling a homosexual not to have sex because it somehow bothers you is positive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fksociety)
    I am open to new thinking. I simply cannot however understand how you pick and choose which laws to follow and which laws not to. If Islam is flexible, considering we have progressive and fundamental Islam, who exactly are you to stick your beliefs down OPs throat?
    Stop this nonsense. I'm not shoving anything down OP's throat. I simply stated two options he can go forward with. In the end he's going to do what he's going to do. You can't pick and choose..you have to go with as many as possible, if not all.

ReputationRep:
    So telling a homosexual not to have sex because it somehow bothers you is positive?
    Not because it bothers me, but because if he's (whoever is homo) a Muslim, then he shouldn't do it because it's against Islam.

ReputationRep:
    And for your information - killing homosexuals isn't the first option. If you find out someone is homosexual, you first tell them not to do it. Then you tell them again sternly not to do it.
    What if they ignore your requests, and continue to commit homosexual acts in front of at least 4 witnesses?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    What if they ignore your requests, and continue to commit homosexual acts in front of at least 4 witnesses?
    Then I think the next option is a sort of punishment.

ReputationRep:
    You have the cheek to say this kind of attitude is not backwards? Shame on you.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    No he can't. As a Muslim, you can't marry anyone out of your religion, as Islamic rules. What YOU think of that is irrelevant. It is what it is..
    Islam is not a set of defined rules, but a religion. Surely anyone who identifies as Muslim is Muslim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What kind of punishment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TelAviv)
    What kind of punishment?
    I think it's something like a beating, but not severe. These things happen in strict Islamic countries like Saudia, they wouldn't and couldn't happen here.

ReputationRep:
    ffs

islam gonna islam

ReputationRep:
    Stop this nonsense. I'm not shoving anything down OP's throat. I simply stated two options he can go forward with. In the end he's going to do what he's going to do. You can't pick and choose..you have to go with as many as possible, if not all.
    Stop spinning it in circles. My point is youre clearly picking and choosing since fundamental concepts of islam opposes western beliefs. If you wanna live here then you put british values in front. So clearly you are choosing the law of the land over your religion. Hence you are picking and choosing.

ReputationRep:
    Stop spinning it in circles. My point is youre clearly picking and choosing since fundamental concepts of islam opposes western beliefs. If you wanna live here then you put british values in front. So clearly you are choosing the law of the land over your religion. Hence you are picking and choosing.
    I'm not spinning it in circles. You've taken things off topic...as have the rest of the others. Islam is evidently opposite to western beliefs. if you also didn't know..Islam says you have to follow the rules of the land you live in too. I am not forcing him to do anything - I simply told him two options he can choose. It's up to him to decide what he wants to do. If you don't agree - tough luck. Not my problem.

ReputationRep:
    No one is asking the important questions here.

OP, is the girl fit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm a 24 y/o Muslim male & Arabic. I finished uni with my MEng in Mechanical engineering, :heart: my job that I've been doing for the last 2 years of which, I've been living at home to save up and move out in another 3 months.

Recently, I've been going out with a few of my work colleagues and met a
    girl I fancied and started going out privately for the last couple months. Note: she's east Asian (Chinese) and my dad found out from some unknown source. He started telling me I disrespected my family, which pisses me off as everyone lives their own life for themselves. I've been working hard at a job and finally am in somewhat of a early stage relationship and he's given me a ultimatum last week to stop seeing her or he will send me to Dubai for a arranged marriage. :wtf: I love my job and don't see myself moving out of UK
    and especially getting married to someone whom I don't even know ontop of which I click with the current girl I'm seeing on so many levels and really like her.

I checked my email and apparently one of my dad friends who's name I recognised from the email attachment sent me a email by mistake or something and had sent my dad this.

https://gyazo.com/04b7a8f3cacdd7925e4cd3cb5b0b3cfd

I don't know what to do. I'm able to move out in another 2-3 months but I don't know what to do. Help?
    report him to the police

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Get in touch with the Forced Marriage Unit: https://www.gov.uk/stop-forced-marriage

It's illegal. You're an adult. He can't force you. You can use your savings or overdraft to get the **** outta there and rent an apartment... you're already in a committed relationship so don't screw that up.
    This is the best advice you have on the thread. It's not about whether it's right to believe in your religion - it's the pragmatic bit of removing yourself from a situation where you are being coerced into a forced marriage.

(Original post by MyBloodisBlue)
    Leave the religion and reassign as a Christian then
    Pathetic. I don't see Muslims giving advice like that when it is totally irrelevant. So grow up.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being a pussy.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm afraid I have little sympathy for the OP. You are a grown man, your dad can't force you to do anything. You have a job and an income, you could easily move out if you wanted. In short, you have options - many people in similar situations do not.

Have you thought of the option of marrying or possibly getting engaged to this girl,if you really like her and if she likes you.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Arab and Asian Muslim parents are very conservative and it's almost impossible to change their opinions, it's not religion that is the problem here but culture and your parents. You need to make it known to your father that hes being very unreasonable and that it's actually against his religion for dismissing who you want to marry based on race. Aslong as who you want to marry is Muslim/Jewish/Christian there should not be a problem. Take quotes from the Quran and prove to your father that what he's doing is wrong. You also need to show your father that you are serious about marrying this girl. Don't fight with your father, even if you feel that he's being unreasonable, if you treat him with respect hopefully he will come around. Most of the time parents like yours just think that they're doing the best for their children . As for the fact that he's trying yo move you to Dubai, maybe hide your passport until you can convince him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.