Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by magiccarpet)
    what is amy tan's book about? is it recently out?

'memoirs of a geisha' by someone 'golden' is good
    and Steven King's The Shining is ultimate!!

i so loved 'lord of the flies' by william golding. we did it for GCSE Eng Lit and i read it nearly every day i so loved it, which gave me one of the top 5 marks in the uk for eng lit!just as well.......anyone doing it for gcse count yourself lucky!

anyone like Tolstoy or Turgenev? Turgenev's stories are mainly old russian ones about love and are very very sad. i read alot of sad books :.......(

amy tan's 'the kitchen god's wife' is about the conflicts which arise in a mother-daughter relationship when the mother is from china and the daughter is american-chinese. it's really good if you're into the chinese culture. it isn't recently out, it was first released about 10 years ago. i did my A2 eng lit cw on it, comparing it's themes with pride and prejudice.

ReputationRep:
    wow! you get such great books to do eng coursework on!! we had to do shakespeare :mad: so boring i hate him we did the taming of the shrew, which is good the first time, dull the second read, then after that it's agony!

ReputationRep:
    wow! you get such great books to do eng coursework on!! we had to do shakespeare :mad: so boring i hate him we did the taming of the shrew, which is good the first time, dull the second read, then after that it's agony!
    For both SATS and GCSE english, I had to put up with roll of thunder, hear my cry. It's not actually that bad, it must just be that I anylise it to death.

ReputationRep:
    yea right! isnt that about some war? ive heard 'the colour purple' and austen are good texts. i think the secret to a good eng grade is to get the best novel and then you'll study more cos you'll like it

by the way, ive just read catherine lim's 'following the wrong god home', and its excellent.

ReputationRep:
    yea right! isnt that about some war? ive heard 'the colour purple' and austen are good texts. i think the secret to a good eng grade is to get the best novel and then you'll study more cos you'll like it

by the way, ive just read catherine lim's 'following the wrong god home', and its excellent.
    roll of thunder is not about a war, it is about racism in 1930s mississippi.

ReputationRep:
    that's becasue it was an open choice, it was a comparative essay of two books so you got to choose the two books! but for AS englit i did 'Hamlet'-Shakespeare, and for GCSE i did a comparison of themes in 'A Modest Proposal' and 'Lord of the Flies'. it really depends on what board you're doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    I have had this book recommended to me several times, although a teacher (good friend) tried to dissuade me. I think i will definitely read this one this summer.
    Just don't read it while you're eating your dinner!

ReputationRep:
    Jessica By Bryce Courtnay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    I wanted to read that but been put off by the film. I suppose I should read the earlier books, like the hobbit before i start on LOTR.
    the hobbit is much nicer and easier to read than LOTR i would recommend you read that before starting on the whole LOTR trilogy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    the hobbit is much nicer and easier to read than LOTR i would recommend you read that before starting on the whole LOTR trilogy
    i loved the hobbit, but i couldnt get past the 3rd chapter of LOTR as it was so dull. the film was just an excuse for special effects to go mad. i hat LOTR

anyone read Harry Potter books? i went on work experience at a laboratory, and all these 40 somethingscience profs were all reading HP books at lunch. i was like HUH??!! i would never read one!

ReputationRep:
    christopher pike's : the last vampire series..... love pike's style of writing....... and stephen king 'IT'.....

ReputationRep:
    Here are my top ten books in no particular order:

1.Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
    2.Animal Farm - George Orwell
    3.Frankenstien - Mary Shelly
    4.To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
    5.The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins
    6.Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Sallanger
    7.To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    8.Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler
    9.On The Road - Jack Karouac
    10. Under Milk Wood - Dylan Thomas

Whats everyone else's top 10?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottus_Mus)
    Here are my top ten books in no particular order:

1.Brideshead Revisited - Evelyn Waugh
    2.Animal Farm - George Orwell
    3.Frankenstien - Mary Shelly
    4.To The Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf
    5.The Moonstone - Wilkie Collins
    6.Catcher In The Rye - J.D. Sallanger
    7.To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee
    8.Mein Kampf - Adolf Hitler
    9.On The Road - Jack Karouac
    10. Under Milk Wood - Dylan Thomas

Whats everyone else's top 10?
    Mein Kamph? apart from being an awful book it is also fairly disgusting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    Mein Kamph? apart from being an awful book it is also fairly disgusting
    As offensive and disturbing as it may be it is an important historical document, providing insight into the work of a leader and his philosophy behind everything...I found it an interesting read...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkegokane)
    i bought 'the curious incident of the dog in the night time' by mark haddon as recommended by people on here, and it's AMAZING! i highly recommend it to anyone.
    ditto.
    it's so simple...does all the thinking for u....but still v v good! i liked the part about the 3 doors and the 2/3 probability...very clever!
    definitely a must-read!

ReputationRep:
    i thought i would have read many books by now, but since Ive been working havent really found the time!!! I havent even finished the 1984 - which i started weeks ago! Then again, this summer break is going to be looooooooong...

ReputationRep:
    My favorite is His Dark Materials as well - I just loved the worlds that had been created. 1984 was amazing - Orwell rocks!
    The Da Vinci code I felt was a bit infodumpy - as though the author was just making the plot work to show off his vast knowledge of obscure facts.
    I found A hundred years of Solitude good, but a bit surreal and hard to get into.
    Lord of the Rings is tough but worth persisting with.
    To Kill a Mockingbird was killed for me by GCSE English overanalysis and dissection.
    I also love 'Wyrd Sisters' and 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett (Discworld rocks. It's got some of the most sophisticated satire going)

ReputationRep:
    thats a shame about 'to kill a mockingbird', I had 'Animal Farm' which i actually enjoyed, but the analysing part was bit crap too...i think ill try n finsh 1984 - gt about 100 pages which is not too long!

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter Particularly 3,4 and 5. I cant get enuff of them. Apart from them I really enjoyed Lord of the Flies. And has anyone ever read Stop Pretending by Sonya Sones? Its a beautiful book and is actually written in sort of poetry form. Its so amazingly written and made me cry about seven seperate times.

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter has to be the most interesting, most funniest book ever.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.