Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Universities are already increasing their fees above £9000 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    30 years for increased work prospects is nothing especially considering the raising of the retirement age. What is it now? 66? Assuming you go to university at 18 and graduate at 21/22 that's a whole 45 or so years of increased career prospects and wages.
    I guess, gotta save a lot though ^-^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timebent)
    I guess, gotta save a lot though ^-^
    Are you going to try and save the whole £27,000+ or enough to live off?

ReputationRep:
    Are you going to try and save the whole £27,000+ or enough to live off?
    LOL can i do that? or is it necessary to pay back x amount of loan each year or something?
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by stevey396)
    Good. Can't wait for more unis follow suit. Great to have a bit of competition between different unis. Hopefully this will lead to the complete privatisation of the higher education sector.
    The idea of the 9000 fee was it would introduce competition. With only Oxbridge and the like expected to charge the full amount. Instead almost everyone charged the highest rate. The same largely will happen with this.

If the Student Loan covers it then there's no incentive to charge below the maximum.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LOL can i do that? or is it necessary to pay back x amount of loan each year or something?
    If your job pays you well enough, yes

If you're like the most people and stuck on a student job salary probably not, although you might be able to save up 9000 or so in a year or two
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by stevey396)
    No - everyone would be able to attend eventually. Those who can't afford it at first will have to find a job (yes, a JOB) and save up. This will teach workshy little oiks that they can't have everything handed to them on a plate and have to work hard before they reap the benefits. It will also discourage those who aren't cut out for uni from going, saving them from wasting three years of their life.
    It's called social mobility. It's not perfect but better than the bad old days.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If your job pays you well enough, yes

If you're like the most people and stuck on a student job salary probably not, although you might be able to save up 9000 or so in a year or two
    Ah but can i save some of that 9k for me? maybe like 1k or something? just to set it aside for a rainy day or something? or does everything i earn(besides money to keep me alive i.e water food utility stuff) have to go to my loan?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You only pay back when you earn more than £21k per year. And then it's 9% of the amount above £21k. If you earn £30k it's equivalent to a Starbucks a day (£67 per month). Not bad for a degree education.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hold on a minute guys. Don't us students have a body that is supposed to fight these increases in tuition fees? I'm sure there was something like this...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    You only pay back when you earn more than £21k per year. And then it's 9% of the amount above £21k. If you earn £30k it's equivalent to a Starbucks a day (£67 per month). Not bad for a degree education.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh ok so even if i earn less than 21k can i save a bit of money if i wanted and start paying back the loan?

£67 a month on drinks? I'm a super cheapskate lol so i don't think i'll have a problem buying stuff haha
    :ninja:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I mean i did manage to buy a suit from next in the clearance section for £5 0.0
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Ah but can i save some of that 9k for me? maybe like 1k or something? just to set it aside for a rainy day or something? or does everything i earn(besides money to keep me alive i.e water food utility stuff) have to go to my loan?
    The Tuition Loan covers the full cost of tuition. The Maintenance Loan goes towards your maintenance expenses eg rent, food, going to the pub, etc etc.

If you also have savings you can chose to reduce the amount of loan you take out. Or just keep the savings. The loan interest rate is low (although not as low as it used to be).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't really know what to say. It's so depressing. Labour need to sort themselves out quick or who knows how much further fees could rise.

(Original post by neal95)
    It's fine. I don't mind them putting up tuition fees. Why is it students only moan when tuition fees go up yet when they get a load in maintenance loan they don't even need you never hear them moaning? The arrogance
    Plenty of people 'moaned' (read: campaigned against) about the abolition of university grants and the increased maintenance loan, actually.

The idea of the 9000 fee was it would introduce competition. With only Oxbridge and the like expected to charge the full amount. Instead almost everyone charged the highest rate. The same largely will happen with this.

If the Student Loan covers it then there's no incentive to charge below the maximum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yup. David Willetts spent months parading around TV studios insisting that most universities would only charge £6,000; he believed that increased tuition fees would create a market in higher education. His plan failed spectacularly and there's no reason to suppose the same won't happen again.

ReputationRep:
    The Tuition Loan covers the full cost of tuition. The Maintenance Loan goes towards your maintenance expenses eg rent, food, going to the pub, etc etc.

If you also have savings you can chose to reduce the amount of loan you take out. Or just keep the savings. The loan interest rate is low (although not as low as it used to be).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see, probably keep savings? I think it'd be a better choice to go and y'know reduce the loan but if i reduce it can i in the future if i ever need increase it back to what it originally was?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I see, probably keep savings? I think it'd be a better choice to go and y'know reduce the loan but if i reduce it can i in the future if i ever need increase it back to what it originally was?
    The size of the maintenance loan depends on your household income.

You really need to read up on this properly...

Look at the SFE site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Free education only applies to it at an elementarty level. Higher education just requires access based on merit.
    They are just asking you to pay a bit more, but are probiding the funding to do so. Their costs still go ip.
    True, it sounds a lot worse than it actually is, I still can't help but feel a bit uncomfortable about it, but I don't mind too much, it still won't affect my decision to go to university

ReputationRep:
    The size of the maintenance loan depends on your household income.

You really need to read up on this properly...

Look at the SFE site.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    it's really low >.>

i had a look, but i couldn't get a number even though i used the calculator -.-'

ReputationRep:
    There goes my gap year plan. Meh, people vehemently advised me against it anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    There goes my gap year plan. Meh, people vehemently advised me against it anyway.
    I don't think you should put off your gap year just because fees will increase by a couple of hundred pounds. The real fee increase will likely be for students starting their degrees in 2 or 3 years.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Absolutely disgraceful, demonstrating a total lack of respect for the fundamental value to society of education.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    it's really low >.>

i had a look, but i couldn't get a number even though i used the calculator -.-'
    You won't get a figure for 2017 yet. Out in data for 2016 start to give you an idea.

If you can't get a figure you are doing something wrong...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.