Turn on thread page Beta

'****gish' to sleep in the same bed as your partner? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends how relaxed your parents are about that sort of thing.
    My mom doesnt mind me and my bf sleeping in the same bed but she's known him for a while, so i suppose thats why.
    I havent met my bf's parents alot, and if i did stay over when they were there (i normally stay over when theyre away) i wouldnt even dream of sleeping in his room, it's just polite as they dont know me very well.
    I'm sure the better we get to know each other the more relaxed it'll become.

ReputationRep:
    When my boyfriend stays over my house there is no question about it. He has to sleep in the guest room, same when i stay over his. That's the way my parents and his parents feel about it, their house, they rules. At uni i sleep with my boyfriend all the time. It's not ****gish sleeping with your partner, he's your partner, not a random you picked up on the street and jumped into bed with. If his parents are ok with your sleeping together then thats fine if they weren't surely they would've have mentioned it to him and he would have put you in the guest room. Like i said, their house, their rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fishfinger Sandwich)
    Of course it's acceptable. I'd consider that normal behavior.
    so would i

ReputationRep:
    Only to ******* who are socially inadequate?
    I am like seriously against all the kissing loads of random people etc, going to a club getting as many people as possible (not that I could) but anyhow, I fail to see how it's ****gish. I find the prospect of sleeping with someone in a purely same bed way a very nice intimate thing with which you can further your relationship. In such close proximity it's so easy to open up more, feel protected, be at ease etc yada yada. So aye no offence but yer mam is dumb

ReputationRep:
    edit: personally, no it's not ****gish. I think it may be a bit inconsiderate to barge in without ascertaining the feelings of the host, but it's not ****gish to sleep in the same bed as your partner!

My parents have mellowed. When I was younger with my first bf (who lived with us) he slept on the sofa to begin with, then migrated to the spare room but never any further. With my boyfriend (fiance!) now, they made a double bed in my room and there was never any question of him sleeping anywhere else. Ditto with when we visit my nan, she's fine with us in the same room.

Basically, as I'm not married I'd respect a family member's preference if I was a guest in their house (e.g. if I were to stay with my fiance's gran and she didn't want us sharing a room that would be fine with us).
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by StarryEyedSurprise)
    Random girl yes, but not if it's his girlfriend.
    In the parents' eyes, though...

ReputationRep:
    First time I went to my girlfriend's house I slept in the spare room, but I think this was mainly down to my girlfriend not actually telling her mum she had a boyfriend until we were nearly there...

But when she comes to my house we'll be sharing a bed, and I don't think my parents have a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not allowed to stay in a bed with my bf at either of his houses [normally he leaves me and sleeps in the spare room], and hes not allowed to stay in a bed with me at my house [so I move into the spare room] We don't sleep to well together - I have a habit of kicking things in my sleep There again i ahve had a few arms across my gob before :p: Once Im asleep and not kicking Im fine..but he has problems getting ot sleep as well:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roobyloo)
    Hey guys, was just wondering what everyone thinks about this. I was having a conversation with my mum and she was saying that if my brother (age 20) had a girlfriend and brought her home to meet her, it would tarnish her opinion of the girlfriend if she stayed the night and slept in his room and not the guest room. She said its more socially polite for a girl to sleep in another room when first meeting the family, otherwise she'd consider her a bit ****gish.

I was quite surprised by this (and worried!) as I often sleep round my boyfriend's house in his bed and always have done. I would hope his parents didnt consider me a **** for sleeping in the same room! I thought it was normal. Does everyone else do this with their partners? Would you agree with the 'socially acceptable' idea for girls?
    I can definitley see your mohters point of view and I probably agree with it.

Minor rant: part of the problem with todays society is that everyone moves so fast. No bedsharing til the 10th date and formal written commitment is amde, I say :cool:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.