Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gym and DIet is right direction? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    Yes that very correctly said. Some stupid people said 1.5g/lb, which will consequently dominate your total calorific intake.
    No I didn't explicitly state for the OP to eat 1.5g/lb. For the eighth time, I said 'usually people aiming for hypertrophy eat 1.2g-1.5g/lb of protein' OK?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sacred Ground)
    No I didn't explicitly state for the OP to eat 1.5g/lb. For the eighth time, I said 'usually people aiming for hypertrophy eat 1.2g-1.5g/lb of protein' OK?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They don't. Only delusional or newbies to the gym people do. So if i'm 190lbs, aiming for hyperthrophy, I should eat 1140 kcals worth of protein? That's absurd

ReputationRep:
    They don't. Only delusional or newbies to the gym people do. So if i'm 190lbs, aiming for hyperthrophy, I should eat 1140 kcals worth of protein? That's absurd
    At the end of the day, it's an individual choice how much protein they take in - their macro intake is THEIR own choice and not yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    PS Reviewer
    If you're eating 1.2-1.5g/lb of bw is ridiculous in expense, let alone actual worth and use to you

ReputationRep:
    Yes that very correctly said. Some stupid people said 1.5g/lb, which will consequently dominate your total calorific intake.
    I never actually said a specific protein amount people should be eating for muscle growth. I just laughed at your very vague assertion of "less protein is more optimal for hypertrophy". Couldn't have been more vague and nonsensical.

I've said twice now on this thread that after a certain point more protein is not optimal, but to say you need "less" is silly. Which is exactly what you said in post 17.

ReputationRep:
    i cant speak for the diet though tbh it doesnt seem like you eat enough but your weight lifting is a bit unusual.

the best combinations are

chest tricep shoulders,
    heavy cardio then legs
    back/lats/+(biceps are good any time)

abs should be done for about 15 minutes at the end of every workout, it doesnt take long and thats a gradual thing by repetition, little by little.

dont underestimate cardio and if you have a pool available you should seriously use it, it feels less strenous but is great for your back shoulders and chest.

if you do those three "days" but do them twice a week you should gain, with one rest day , if you do say chest on a monday, then dont do it again till the next monday, you wont get any bigger, you need to excerice your muscle groups twice a week really
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by SophieSmall;[url="tel:66587170")
    66587170[/url]]I never actually said a specific protein amount people should be eating for muscle growth. I just laughed at your very vague assertion of "less protein is more optimal for hypertrophy". Couldn't have been more vague and nonsensical.

I've said twice now on this thread that after a certain point more protein is not optimal, but to say you need "less" is silly. Which is exactly what you said in post 17.
    I saw it posted on here that studies found that muscle mass was retained on 1,000 kcal daily deficit while weight training on 0.82g per lb of bw.

Another was posted which found 0.73g to be sufficient.

So i would say 0.8g per lb of bw is enough to get maximum gains.

However, sleep and training is way more important than the difference between giving yourself 100g of protein a day and 200g.

Take 500g of protein everyday but sub 7/6 hour sleep and/or no progressive overload in training and you won't grow.

Consistency is the key

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JNDSAN)
    i cant speak for the diet though tbh it doesnt seem like you eat enough but your weight lifting is a bit unusual.

the best combinations are

chest tricep shoulders,
    heavy cardio then legs
    back/lats/+(biceps are good any time)

abs should be done for about 15 minutes at the end of every workout, it doesnt take long and thats a gradual thing by repetition, little by little.

dont underestimate cardio and if you have a pool available you should seriously use it, it feels less strenous but is great for your back shoulders and chest.

if you do those three "days" but do them twice a week you should gain, with one rest day , if you do say chest on a monday, then dont do it again till the next monday, you wont get any bigger, you need to excerice your muscle groups twice a week really
    Sorry mate but that last bit is very untrue. Training a muscle group once a week may not be the most optimal way for muscle gains for some people but to say 'you won't get any bigger' is not correct. Many people will train chest on a given day then not train it again till the next week and will most certainly get bigger. I did a split like this for about 8 months and made decent gains.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SwitchingOne)
    Sorry mate but that last bit is very untrue. Training a muscle group once a week may not be the most optimal way for muscle gains for some people but to say 'you won't get any bigger' is not correct. Many people will train chest on a given day then not train it again till the next week and will most certainly get bigger. I did a split like this for about 8 months and made decent gains.
    fair enough, ive done both though and i find its far less effective and far too gradual, theres no reason if you do muscle groups twice a week you shouldnt be looking a lot better in about 3 months

ReputationRep:
    The ironic thing about this thread and its comments is that a beginner will make progress regardless what you eat [assuming you're not eating skittles 24/7 or have extremely high metabolism]. At your level, overload nor diet doesn't matter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.