Turn on thread page Beta

Why are there so many Oxbridge/AAA candidates on Student Room? watch

ReputationRep:
    Well i'm darn proud about my gcse results in my signature damnit!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah...I only got an A in JTIS

(Original post by moniker)
    That's what I always wondered. I reckon it started with someone proudly displaying their achievements on results day, someone saw and followed suit, until it became a full-blown craze.

I have seen less of this kind of signature since the piss taking ones though. My results are in my profile but that's because it seemed appropriate under 'academic info' .
    Hmm, never thought of just having it in my profile, I'll leave it there.

ReputationRep:
    Putting your GSCE's on display is like if I put my 6-digit salary on display, 'cause I'm proud of it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    According to this forum there are a lot of straight 'A' students who can't use proper grammar as well. Some in particular I have great doubts about.

I have my degree grade in my profile because I'm damned proud and surprised about it. I can barely remember what I got for my GCSEs and I don't expect anyone else to care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glutamic Acid)
    And why does that equate to it being pathetic?
    Personally, it's always struck me as slightly insecure - why do your specific academic achievements matter on an anonymous internet forum? Why do you want to show people that you're 'intelligent'/'academic'? Surely if you are, then your posts will display that and you don't need to advertise your 'intelligence'?

It’s the internet version of boasting about how many people you pulled last night imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horrorshow)
    :ditto:

But I can't believe some people would lie about their grades :s: (other than the obvious piss take ones, like ftb's old one etc)
    And FTB's new one too

They're all true, too :proud:

ReputationRep:
    hmmm i was thinking that!! im not up to those standarads but hey whatever.

haha talking about finding this board for academic purposes.... i found it while searching for something about playdays!!! hehe

ReputationRep:
    Yeah..all these Oxbridge people...damn them...oh, wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Picnico)
    Don't get too excited about the number of people with 'A 'grades. A recent survey showed that a 1997 'B' grade at A-Level is worth the same as a 2007 'A' grade at A-Level due to Blair making it possible to get an 'A' with a ludicrously low mark of less than 50% in some exams.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    Well few people will display bad results and many people on TSR are academically minded individuals who wish to do research. One thing i don't understand is why there are so many people on here who are from state schools and few(er) from private schools?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History_Boys)
    Well few people will display bad results and many people on TSR are academically minded individuals who wish to do research. One thing i don't understand is why there are so many people on here who are from state schools and few(er) from private schools?
    Why don't you understand? Are people from private schools meant to care more about exams etc.?

I'd have thought the opposite, state schoolers get less attention and advice at school so need to look elsewhere for help. (in general of course).

ReputationRep:
    Possibly because most students in the country go to state schools. It stands to reason that if there are less private school pupils in the country, there will be less on here (although I would be interested in whether the ratios match up).

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be loads of people from private schools on here, way more than I meet in the 'real world' anyway.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto: History boys (lol), i think it might be the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't put my 2 cents on more than 80% of them having such grades, personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    There seems to be loads of people from private schools on here, way more than I meet in the 'real world' anyway.
    Maybe they're just a lot more vocal? Happens in real life too...

cf. Public School Ann... :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2007
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.