Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jneill)
    So one thing, you let your referee talk about your past achievements. Especially academically. Your PS should focus on demonstrating your interest in the course.
    That's an interesting point. I'll speak to my tutor at sixth form and speak to her about what she's going to include in my reference as I could give her some things from my statements about my achievements?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    ask your english teacher if they'd mind reading it for you as they may be able to help you write things more concisely, using fewer words. you need to go through and look at which ' filler ' words you're using and get rid of them.
    Well I don't do English but my tutor and the lady who does 1-2-1 with students writing personal statements are both highly qualified in English so I'll speak to them. I'll have a good read through and see if I can get rid of any :/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    My top advice is:

1) Always remove full sentences/phrases not an odd word here or there as that can sound strange and stilted
    2)Keep cut sentences in a separate document in case you want them (usually you don't, but you won't worry about it if you have them in a safe place).
    3) Focus on saying things like "I did X because Y. From X I learned Z" you'll fit in less X's but it's the reasoning that shows your ability to think deeply and learn from things.
    4) Good paragraphing is more important than making what you want fit in the line limit.
    5) Really focus on whatever inspired you to do the course / anything you have done that demonstrates your interest in the subject
    I have done most of those things but I'm too scared to take anything else out because it will sound crap :/
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by PQ)
    Admissions staff are looking for three things in a PS:
    1 - does the applicant understand what they're applying for (for law the common mistakes are to focus too much on the eventual career and not enough on the academic degree you're applying for)
    2 - does the applicant demonstrate the motivation and enthusiasm to stick with the degree for 3+ years (this is where you talk about all the reading and blogs and visits you've done outside your curriculum)
    3 - does the applicant have the non academic skills to succeed (for law that is making a concise PS that demonstrates your suitability for the course, debating experience or public speaking if you have it)

You definitely don't need to waste space explaining why History A level has been a good preparation for a law degree - those sections are always either stating the obvious or stretching credibility. They don't give a reader a good impression of the writer.
    I have demonstrated motivation and enthusiasm but I just find it so hard to concise the statement and I think that's what's going to let me down if that's what universities want in a law personal statement :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeB16)
    Don't worry, there are personal statement advisers at sixth form who are qualified in this stuff, I'm sure they'll sort it out XD
    I suggest that you send an email (this summer) to one of these advisors as well as a teacher in the field you want to study. The earlier the better is what my sixth form have been saying and my form tutor has told us to do a few drafts this summer as he may not have time after October
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by _4everfaithful__)
    I suggest that you send an email (this summer) to one of these advisors as well as a teacher in the field you want to study. The earlier the better is what my sixth form have been saying and my form tutor has told us to do a few drafts this summer as he may not have time after October
    I will cut it down following everyone's advice during this week coming up, I'll then send a copy to my law teacher and I'll send her the old drafts with more things in and I'm sure she'll flag up anything that should have stayed/gone.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same problem when I applied for Law last year
    Pretty sure I needed about five drafts until my PS was even close to the character limit.
    First of all, try to cut out every single unnecessary word. The people reviewing your application don't care about it sounding pleasant; cut out every "Therefore, ..", "Furthermore..", "Additionally.." and stuff like that. If you aren't applying for English Lit.. who even cares?
    Numerous adjectives to describe one thing can be left out as well. "It was an incredibly challenging but rewarding experience" - cut out 'incredibly' and that's ten characters down.
    Rephrase things. If you're struggling with this, it might make sense for you to just copy a long sentence into a new document and come up with different versions until you find one that suits you and is considerably shorter than the original.
    Be ruthless with leaving certain parts out entirely. It might be a bit painful because - at least to us - all of it is 'very important' .. but ask yourself - is it really? Only include what is really, honestly relevant to your subject and your qualification. Maybe ask someone else to read it and give you some pointers on what isn't really all that relevant or what is the least relevant thing in your statement. Cut it out.

Good luck! (:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by lovecathy)
    I had the same problem when I applied for Law last year
    Pretty sure I needed about five drafts until my PS was even close to the character limit.
    First of all, try to cut out every single unnecessary word. The people reviewing your application don't care about it sounding pleasant; cut out every "Therefore, ..", "Furthermore..", "Additionally.." and stuff like that. If you aren't applying for English Lit.. who even cares?
    Numerous adjectives to describe one thing can be left out as well. "It was an incredibly challenging but rewarding experience" - cut out 'incredibly' and that's ten characters down.
    Rephrase things. If you're struggling with this, it might make sense for you to just copy a long sentence into a new document and come up with different versions until you find one that suits you and is considerably shorter than the original.
    Be ruthless with leaving certain parts out entirely. It might be a bit painful because - at least to us - all of it is 'very important' .. but ask yourself - is it really? Only include what is really, honestly relevant to your subject and your qualification. Maybe ask someone else to read it and give you some pointers on what isn't really all that relevant or what is the least relevant thing in your statement. Cut it out.

Good luck! (:
    Right well it sounds like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and start removing whole sentences XD I'm worried that if I don't include any hobbies (not that I have any) or anything about myself that I will be rejected :/

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest to read through and think about the following (for any course):

1. Does this sentence either tell the reader something about me, or provide context to allow me to tell you something about me. A personal statement is meant to be about you, so as an example you might be saying something like 'i read xyz and I saw how the solution to the ... problem was that aliens came to earth from mars and colonised it'. Unless you are then following that up, this is a little bit wasted as the people reading this statement aren't really reading it to find out about their subject (they're experts after all), they're reading it to find out about you, so stay away from describing in a lot of detail things that don't really tell them anything about you.

2. Are all the words really necessary. With your personal statement even small cutdowns can add up, as you don't have a lot of room especially if you want to have any line breaks. Things like 'the well known ... problem' are just a waste of characters.

3. Have I already said something similar/shown a similar skill somewhere else? If so, can i combine it into one paragraph. For example if I have two paragraphs that show I'm good at problem solving, could I combine those examples into 1 slightly longer (but shorter than the 2 combined) paragraphs.

ReputationRep:
    Make your sentences more succinct and get rid of any waffles. The admissions tutors have a waffle detector gland.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What if you've got the opposite problem? I'm stuck at around 2500 characters( 28 lines if thats of any use). any idea how I can add more stuff, about 1000 characters if possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeB16)
    Well I don't do English but my tutor and the lady who does 1-2-1 with students writing personal statements are both highly qualified in English so I'll speak to them. I'll have a good read through and see if I can get rid of any :/
    Don't worry to much ; I'd say just leave it how it is and then talk to their advisor and then I'm sure it'll be obvious which bits to use and what not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ?Hannah)
    don't worry mate, writing a personal statement is supposed to be hard! i am quite good at writing concisely, and have reviewed many personal statements in the past. do you want me to have a look at it for you?

also, there are many excellent personal statements on TSR, written by people applying for law. don't copy, obviously, but perhaps you could get some ideas and pick up on the style that they have used to write their statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Could you look at mine?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by henna_kc)
    Could you look at mine?
    Please don't share you PS with random people on the internet.

TSR provides a confidential PS review service with experienced reviewers for free.
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4237154

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.