Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That would make a good deal more sense.

ReputationRep:
    Mystery finally solved - it makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm not sure that that's the case. The average for Philosophy at Bristol is 398, which is 66%ish. My offer from there was AAA. I can't believe that the average philosophy student at Bristol averaged a high C.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rnshan)
    Mystery finally solved - it makes sense.
    It would be if its true, yes. Hold your horses.

ReputationRep:
    It does appear that it A level scores. Highest is 580 for Maths and 553 for medicine at Cambridge.!!! While for Bristol Avg score was 398 for Philosophy.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol's offers are often on a par with Cam's though..

ReputationRep:
    My whole confusion started with AAA std offer for economics from UCL (447) and from Cambridge (537). It does not make sense if it was tariff points.

ReputationRep:
    My whole confusion started with AAA std offer for economics from UCL (447) and from Cambridge (537). It does not make sense if it was tariff points.
    Well your most logical action is to do your absolute best and not worry your silly head (no offense) about it :rolleyes: You can't control it, and I assure you that if you get AAA Cambridge will honour the offer they made you.

ReputationRep:
    100% agreed. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kifi)
    My teacher told me that 537 is not the average UCAS tariff, rather it is the average UMS score out of 600 for a full A-level across all A-levels taken by a student. This makes sense as 90% UMS marks would mean 540/600.
    Your teacher is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It does appear that it A level scores. Highest is 580 for Maths and 553 for medicine at Cambridge.!!! While for Bristol Avg score was 398 for Philosophy.
    Did you actually read my post? I was showing how it almost certainly WASN'T A level UMS scores because there's no way the average philosophy student at Bristol got C's in their A levels.

PS You are stupid. It's not the average OFFER points, it's the average ATTAINMENT points. It's perfectly believable that the average economist got 537 UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coldfish)
    Did you actually read my post? I was showing how it almost certainly WASN'T A level UMS scores because there's no way the average philosophy student at Bristol got C's in their A levels.

PS You are stupid. It's not the average OFFER points, it's the average ATTAINMENT points. It's perfectly believable that the average economist got 537 UCAS points.
    Is it believable that the average Nottigham student gets 490 UCAS points which is more than 4 A's ? Or is it more believable that they just barely get 480 UMS marks and average a low A grade?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mal G)
    Is it believable that the average Nottigham student gets 490 UCAS points which is more than 4 A's ? Or is it more believable that they just barely get 480 UMS marks and average a low A grade?
    They might have got the points from elsewhere - i.e. music exams. You can get up to 75 points from there.

http://www.ucas.com/candq/tariff/index.html

ReputationRep:

Thanks for your compliments. I am clear with my understanding. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danfel)
    They might have got the points from elsewhere - i.e. music exams. You can get up to 75 points from there.

http://www.ucas.com/candq/tariff/index.html
    What proportion of Nottingham Physicists take extra music exams?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I was so rude in my last post, I just get frustrated when people ask questions and obviously don't pay attention to the reply.

We have one of two things to believe: Either that Nottingham physicists on average get 480ish UCAS points or that the average Bristol philosopher got an average of a mid-C for their A levels. I know which I find more likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mal G)
    What proportion of Nottingham Physicists take extra music exams?
    I don't know any: I was only hypothesising. I do know two Nottingham medics though, both of whom have AAAA and grade 8 piano, which would be ~540 UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    And my mate's Chemistry offer from Bristol was a B and a C in two sciences.
    I'm just throwing that in the melting pot.. obviously I think the same as you Coldfish.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure how the Times is limiting which UCAS points they're counting, but if there is no limitation then musical grades are also taken into account. Basically, anything beyond the 420 points you get for AAAa is more or less irrelevant.

That the average Cambridge economist got 537 points and UCL economist 447 only provies to my mind that the average Cambridge economist takes more A-levels, and not an awful lot else.
    What does the average Cambridge Geographer, Natural Scientist and medicine candidate get?^o) Where do you find out this info?^o)

ReputationRep:
    What does the average Cambridge Geographer, Natural Scientist and medicine candidate get?^o) Where do you find out this info?^o)

Sorry if someone has mentioned this before, but maybe they include the UCAS points from your GCSE's into their total tariff too, with 8 points for an A* then - 1 point for each lower grade.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.