Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is 30k a year a decent wage to live on (outside london)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I feel myself)
    How much do you make and your profession?
    Not enough to buy anything at anytime :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Since when is a trip to Dubai 'excessive luxury'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is if you come from a working class background.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Since when is a trip to Dubai 'excessive luxury'?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Twice yearly trips is luxury... Ive never known anybody go there more than once that does not have family there.

Like I said, go on holiday closer to home. You can holiday for a week in Spain for the price of the flight to Dubai.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    As the owner of my non-London, Cotswold-situated apartment, I make do more than comfortably (i.e. bespoke furniture, £400 shoes) on quite substantially less than that; but then I'm also a fiscally scrupulous bachelor, who commutes by bicycle since 2011 and hasn't felt the urge to take an overseas vacation in almost as long, so of course your mileage may vary.

Granted, if I ever look to start a family I might relent and consider plying my somewhat under-valued skillset elsewhere; but it seems to me that if you're expecting anything resembling prudent advice on matters of personal finance from a community of 17-year-old baby hedge-fund managers to whom 'home' is a Wi-Fi equipped crèche in the W8 postal district, you may be angling for disappointment.
    What shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    What shoes.
    C&J Conistons (so derby boots, to be more precise):

Edit: I've also a soft-spot for these, purchased from some Anglo-French jet-setter on eBay in 2014, as a more elegant alternative to the Chelsea style.

ReputationRep:
    C&J Conistons (so derby boots, to be more precise):Edit: I've also a soft-spot for these, purchased from some Anglo-French jet-setter on eBay in 2014, as a more elegant alternative to the Chelsea style.
    C&J Conistons (so derby boots, to be more precise):
    Edit: I've also a soft-spot for these, purchased from some Anglo-French jet-setter on eBay in 2014, as a more elegant alternative to the Chelsea style.
    Nice!
    I'm a massive fan of Chelseas. C&J do some good stuff. I'd love to be earning a salary where I can afford a pair of these...

http://www.johnlobb.com/media/catalo...m_calf_3_4.jpg

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Well, not really. It depends what else you can do. I would have thought a McDonalds trainee manager would start on more than £20,000.

If you're not a graduate, that could be as much as 8 years in the workplace unqualified, or 5-6 with some sort of qualification.

Unless a person is completely lacking in ability or ambition, 5-8 years is a long time to rack up seniority in even quite mundane jobs.
    I'm obviously talking about it terms of the current climate, even a graduate starting on 24k is doing bloody well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hezzlington)
    Nice!
    I'm a massive fan of Chelseas. C&J do some good stuff. I'd love to be earning a salary where I can afford a pair of these...

http://www.johnlobb.com/media/catalo...m_calf_3_4.jpg
    I just can't reconcile that ultra-modern stretch-fabric construction with the basic premise of artisanal footwear; it rankles with me like a carbon-mesh spoiler on a Rolls-Royce—not unsightly per se, but somehow incongruous with the quintessential vintage aesthetic, and lacking that sense of timelessness which personally is all-important if I plan to be wearing those same boots fifteen years down the line.

That said, anything by John Lobb is beyond reproach; although I'm holding out for a pair of these.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    £30k isn't a wage, it's an income hunny!

Good for you though!

Get a savings account and speak to your partner cause lack of enthusiasm or ambition can really lead a dead horse through water.

Can she not try and get a cleaning job at night when you return from work or something? Can you possibly get grandparents to look after the baby when both you two are at work?

She seriously needs to find a job cause to live off your money whilst she doesn't do anything but play building blocks with the baby is hardly fair!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.