Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you wish you'd known about studying for a masters? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anita-573)
    It's the university of nottingham, I worked hard in first year and obtained a high first to show my dedication when applying for a summer placement, but I was let down at the last minute (middle of July), so it's seems like a bit of a waste. I saw it as my ticket out of my current uni but now I'm feeling a bit helpless. There's always going to be some other applicant with a slight edge and a degree seems to not be enough. I haven't had any positions of responsibility either to talk about in an interview or personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think you shouldn't give up. Don't compare yourself to others just go your own way.
    Search in websites, ask your carrer office at uni and try different ways. If you can't find placement now you can go for internship next year or after you graduate and continue for a masters later. There is always a way don't get frustrated!
    Chemistry is a highly appreciated degree and can get you in many different fields. Don't be disappointed, just try to do your best now in your studies because postgraduate admissions give attention to grades too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beautifulbigmacs)
    I promise that as a psychology bod you should be able to make a smooth transition to social sciences. A lot of the study methods are very similar.
    Well the issue is I'm a mathematician whose never done any experimental work :P My PhD is in statistical methods for psychologists and I'm a statistician (which is why they picked me for the project). They thought the MSc would be useful but it is definitely not aimed at people with my background, hence the anxiety!

A lot of the thread is "you'll be okay if you like the topic" and I'm relatively indifferent to mine. I never would have applied for this particular course on my own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkyvirus)
    A lot of the thread is "you'll be okay if you like the topic" and I'm relatively indifferent to mine. I never would have applied for this particular course on my own.
    In that case it's just a means to an end and you need to keep your eyes on your ultimate goal. You'll be ploughing through something you maybe don't enjoy, but it will only last a year.

I did jobs I largely despised in order to pay the bills, for over twenty years. If I can survive that, you can get through a Masters. You're tougher than you think.*

ReputationRep:
    Well the issue is I'm a mathematician whose never done any experimental work :P My PhD is in statistical methods for psychologists and I'm a statistician (which is why they picked me for the project). They thought the MSc would be useful but it is definitely not aimed at people with my background, hence the anxiety!

Aww you're so lucky to be offered the masters degree. I'd be buzzing for a free masters degree. For people beginning a new subject as a masters I have always found the course content and structure helpful to work with *

ReputationRep:

Are you able to refine/fine tune the pg degree title, to something which more suits your tastes? And how far in are you? You know you probably won't suceed if you aren't both passionate, skilled AND able to put in the hours. This goes for undergraduate degrees and masters, so even much more so then for a research degree.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Quite frankly, given what you have said you don't sound like you know what you are doing, and therefore don't stand a chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    In that case it's just a means to an end and you need to keep your eyes on your ultimate goal. You'll be ploughing through something you maybe don't enjoy, but it will only last a year.

I did jobs I largely despised in order to pay the bills, for over twenty years. If I can survive that, you can get through a Masters. You're tougher than you think.*
    Thanks I just need to keep my eye on the prize! I've always been a worrier but I'm sure I can get through it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)
    Let me and others starting this year absorb all your wisdom

:adore:

Thank you
    I wish I'd known that it would be as hard as it turned out to be.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.