Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Was a bit bored and decided to make a tier listing for all the universities in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Would they be in Tier 2 if they'd accepted?
    With OP's weird way of creating tiers, who knows.

ReputationRep:
    LSE in the same tier as Sheffield.

Makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathmoji)
    So what you're saying is that they all make friends at uni and give jobs to their mates when they are older?

I'm not sure that proves your argument that there is something inherently better about a Oxford grad compared to a MMU grad.
    that's exactly what happens. just read up on the chumocracy in the cameron government.

It's inherently better because of the 100s of years of reputation it has built world wide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    that's exactly what happens. just read up on the chumocracy in the cameron government.

It's inherently better because of the 100s of years of reputation it has built world wide.
    What happens when you are applying for a job where your mate isn't the interviewer then?

Cameron isn't giving his mates jobs because they are his mates. Hes giving his mates jobs because he knows them and believes they have the skills required to do the job. That is all any employer cares about; that you have the skills needed to do the job. Unfortunately, going to oxbridge is not a guarantee that you possess those skills.

As an employer, I don't care about the graduates oxbridge churned out 200 years ago; I care about this person, in front of me, right now. And I'd take a couple of years successful experience over a university name any day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    What happens when you are applying for a job where your mate isn't the interviewer then?

Cameron isn't giving his mates jobs because they are his mates. Hes giving his mates jobs because he knows them and believes they have the skills required to do the job. That is all any employer cares about; that you have the skills needed to do the job. Unfortunately, going to oxbridge is not a guarantee that you possess those skills.

As an employer, I don't care about the graduates oxbridge churned out 200 years ago; I care about this person, in front of me, right now. And I'd take a couple of years successful experience over a university name any day of the week.
    There is no interview process. You see a cv with someone who was in your former debate club and he's in.

It's not a guarantee but it vastly increases you chances all other things being equal. And its mainly with certain professions. Journalism/Law/Medicane etc

ReputationRep:
    This thread is the university version of Dave Gorman's A-Z celebrity list ranking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeptical_john)
    There is no interview process. You see a cv with someone who was in your former debate club and he's in.

It's not a guarantee but it vastly increases you chances all other things being equal. And its mainly with certain professions. Journalism/Law/Medicane etc
    I think you have a very naive way of how the world works.

Ah, now you're throwing in "all other things being equal." They never are.

ReputationRep:

I'm well read in the subject of social mobility. Here are a few examples of recent articles, I can recommend a few books if interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-35641061
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014...n_5723662.html
    http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/myth-merito...ld-lie-1561771
    http://www.legalcheek.com/2016/02/re...xbridge-elite/

"all other things being equal" is a hypothetical term used in science. Obviously they never are but it's how you try and determine which variables make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    1. My university
    2. Everyone elses' universities

ReputationRep:
    City should be higher imo

ReputationRep:
    This is like a 40 year old virgin making a list of which instagram models and film stars he'd like to have sex with the most.

ReputationRep:
    Both of my choices are tier 2, that's reassuring

ReputationRep:
    I still think LSE, Imperial and maybe Durham deserve to be in Tier 1 with Oxbridge

ReputationRep:
    I would say Tier 2 needs to be split up. Too many.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no! Honestly, I don't really think that you can 'tier' Universities in such a fixed way, I actually think that doing so, is fundamentally a huge mistake, and perpetuates this ridiculous elitist perception of Uni. What about subjects such as teacher training; historic to Liverpool Hope, or in Media and Film related courses; for example Edge Hill's amazing facilities and tutors.

You cannot bundle all Universities in together in such a way, people ought to do more research on what Universities have contributed to their specific, chosen field, instead of gawping over a name. It results in very under qualified graduates, particularly in my field of work!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

As a third party, I think you fit that description more than skeptical

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnkitKapoor)
    I still think LSE, Imperial and maybe Durham deserve to be in Tier 1 with Oxbridge
    lol
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    lol
    I didn't want to say anything either....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    I didn't want to say anything either....

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait what did I do?

ReputationRep:
    I guess im going to respond en mass here.

I have realised I've made a few mistakes here and there, especially after consulting the World Rankings Tables. I'm posting a revised version here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...wuk/edit#gid=0

The only member of Tier 2 that I would consider putting above are LSE and Imperial. Durham, Warwick, Bristol are NO DIFFERENT to Cardiff and Liverpool (seriously stop bashing these). Yes Durham may be better at law, but Cardiff can trump it in the pharmacy department.
    All Tier 2s are very similar in the way they are bulit and run. UCL and King's are no different to the rest of the pack.

I've since moved up most of the speciality universities to Tier 3 and might even put a few in Tier 2. SOAS is not moving though. Tier 4 is now made of Universities that have atleast one world class subject (often more) but fall behind in most others. Tier 5 are those that have a top tier domestic-level subject or score better overall. Tier 6 is unchanged. Tier 7 is now comprised Tier 6s that scored extrememly poorly in Student Experience Surveys. Academically they might be Tier 6, but all indicators are showing that there is always a better choice.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.