Turn on thread page Beta

shared bathroom watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I might just get a little wicker basket and carry that to and from or something, or a wash bag like you say!

ReputationRep:
    I never had a problem. Ours were cleaned every weekday.

People threw up, but there were 4 toilets and 4 showers on my floor so i just used a different one.

I just had a washbag that i carried to and from the bathroom. Didnt leave any stuff in there.

ReputationRep:
    There was one toilet shared between 11 of us this year. And there wasn't a shower on our floor we had to go up to the next one. There were 3 showers shared between at least 30 of us. Luckily we were all girls. We managed fine though there was hardly ever a queue and nobody ever left a mess

ReputationRep:
    in my case it isnt the shareing factor more the fact that due to the nature of my course ill be up at about 5 evry other day i can imagine there being all kinds of complications being connected with wanting a shower that time of day.

ReputationRep:
    Why? It'd be good because noone else will want to use it at that time!

ReputationRep:
    yea thats true but like well i dno reely i jst invissaged there being a problem lol and neway its like 10 quid extra for ensuite and i managed to persuade me parents to pay fr accomadation so screw it max the charges out

ReputationRep:
    urgh god i couldnt do it! Ive stayed in the ****t*st of ***** hostels in my time and a few days of showering in ur flip-flops gets vry vry tedious!!

Wouldnt be able to do it for 10 months!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I would personally prefer my own en-suite during my first year, although to be perfectly honest I think I would be a bit lazy when it comes to cleaning it.

Sharing a bathroom wouldn't be too bad as long as the facilities that I want to use are free when I want to use them.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the same as alison originally but then I realised:

-They have a cleaner, so the bathrooms hopefully are likely to be cleaner than your own en suite bathroom (which I know I'd probably be too lazy/busy to clean!). I'm probably way off the mark here but this is what I'm hoping :p:

-You're sharing with girls and most girls are quite clean.

-You have a sink in your room so all you need to do in the shared bathroom is literally shower. Handwashing, teeth brushing and face washing can be done in the comfort of your own room.

ReputationRep:
    Ive been allocated a swanky ensuite room next year, and Im more than willing to pay the extra money for it too.

The thought of having to share a bathroom and toilet with complete strangers isn't even remotely appealing to me, even if it would save me £300 a year.

I think having my own toilet and bathroom will make me alot more relaxed, and ill settle in alot quicker as I hate going to the toilet in public places and have been known to hold it for hours until I get home!

Some may think its ridiculous, but quite frankly Ill be glad for my ensuite when im not having to tip toe around everyone elses vomit, pee and poo, or having to wait for a shower because someone else is in there etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of agree with your sentiments Louise, but I'm hoping I can just "DEAL WIV IT" as tracy from big brother would say. I've got a bursary for a non en suite hall so theoretically I'd be an ungrateful b***ch to complain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    The thought of having to share a bathroom and toilet with complete strangers isn't even remotely appealing to me, even if it would save me £300 a year.
    Only £300?! It's an extra £800 in Glasgow, which would leave me starting the year £200 in the red! Shared bathroom it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    Only £300?! It's an extra £800 in Glasgow, which would leave me starting the year £200 in the red! Shared bathroom it is.
    Oooo I feel even more pleased with myself and my ensuite now then
    Bargainous.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, if you want a private bathroom and can pay for it, rather than having extra money to spend on going out/whatever, have an en-suite room. The first time I went to uni, I was hell bent on having an en-suite but really, I didn't need it. When I've stayed with my friends at other unis, they had shared bathrooms and they were fine, just all have to share the responsibility to keep it clean if there are no cleaners. However, the difference there is that my mates have had nice flatmates - if I'd shared a bathroom with my flatmates (one in particular, who I didn't get on with and who doesn't know the meaning of the word hygiene), it would probably have been covered in mould within the first 3 weeks. Down to the luck of the draw I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louisedotcom)
    Some may think its ridiculous, but quite frankly Ill be glad for my ensuite when im not having to tip toe around everyone elses vomit, pee and poo, or having to wait for a shower because someone else is in there etc etc.
    Wow, I'm sure the people you will be living with would love to know this is how you think of them. I think most people of 18 + are actually toilet trained so I doubt the floors would be covered in piss, **** and spew.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheesyBeans)
    Wow, I'm sure the people you will be living with would love to know this is how you think of them. I think most people of 18 + are actually toilet trained so I doubt the floors would be covered in piss, **** and spew.
    Perhaps you arnt aware but alot of people when drunk tend to lose all sense of aim/control when vomiting or peeing. I dont think anyone ever intentionally pukes on the floor. Public toilets in pubs and clubs are enough to tell you that. I cant stand the sight or smell of sick it makes me ill, and living in a house with a bunch of other students is likely to result in frequent cases of vomiting. I dont want to have to deal with, clean up or smell anyone elses sick. And the people I will be living with are likely to be thinking the same as me as we will all have ensuites.

Shared facilities is all fine and dandy when you end up with nice, considerate flatmates but not everyones that lucky. Whilst I can afford it Id rather pay the extra £300, have my own space and privacy and not take that risk that could result in me living with some filth bag who has no consideration for others.

ReputationRep:
    Bathrooms get cleaned daily, usually, so I'm not too worried about sharing. If I unfortunately get a disgusting housemate or two, the likelihood is that the isolated area of mess will be cleaned up within hours. I mean, puke from drinking is going to happen at night, and the cleaners come in the early hours of the morning. So most people probably won't even have the displeasure of seeing the mess before it has been dealt with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hotspur Warrior)
    Bathrooms get cleaned daily, usually, so I'm not too worried about sharing. If I unfortunately get a disgusting housemate or two, the likelihood is that the isolated area of mess will be cleaned up within hours. I mean, puke from drinking is going to happen at night, and the cleaners come in the early hours of the morning. So most people probably won't even have the displeasure of seeing the mess before it has been dealt with.
    Dont want to annoy you but a few peeps I know that shared a bathroom hav told me that the cleaners dont usually work at weekends especially Sundays so you mite find that wen u wake up there mite b someone else bodily fluids wer u are showering.

I said make the person responsible clean it, but the hassle of waiting of them to clean it and knowing they'll prob do a half assed job and the bacteria will still linger............

Urrgh

ReputationRep:
    oh man i couldnt share a shower or a toilet, i hate going to toilet in other peoples houses or using public toilets haha, im like that alex off of the domestos adverts form big brother haha

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sure it isn't going to be as bad as people are making out. It isn't like a public toilet, whereby if someone pisses on the seat they just leave it because they won't have to use it again. If someone pukes or pisses all over a toilet at uni, that is their toilet too.

Yes, there will be incidents I'm sure. But I doubt that even the rudest, most disrespectful floormate would carpet a toilet he has to use too in bodily fluids.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.