Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    guys if you look closely on that train there is writing on the second line the there is a letter C but not in English, the alphabet letter c with the arrow on top is in these languages: Slovak, Slovenian, Bosnian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Pomak, and Berber. The OP is in a country where one or more of these languages is spoken.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PHD2027)
    guys if you look closely on that train there is writing on the second line the there is a letter C but not in English, the alphabet letter c with the arrow on top is in these languages: Slovak, Slovenian, Bosnian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Pomak, and Berber. The OP is in a country where one or more of these languages is spoken.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%8C
    Yeah that's why I said go west then I hoped for the best 😂 it looks very Slovakia-ish to me, along with the descriptions they gave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmald583)
    Did you catch the name of the station?
    Unfortunately not, it appears I jumped on the train just outside the station and I have just had to hastily depart it in this siding; the men outside sound rather gruff and unforgiving - I don't think they'd take to my exaggerated sign language very well.

I've just quickly climbed over the fence and snapped this picture before getting out of sight!

Where do I go from here guys? The tracks run north/south and to the west is some kind of town/city.

I'm just putting it out here now, I'm terrified of planes, I might manage a short flight, but I'm known to try and hide in the overhead compartments on longer flights. Trains are OK though, but I'm not going to act like some madman and start shouting 'London' at random train workers, I will act with the utmost decorum whenever possible and so will need to sound like I know what I am doing!

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the language on the sign, it does seem that you are in the Czech Republic. If you see someone, try asking this:

Je tady někdo, kdo mluví anglicky? (Pronounced Yeh tuhdih nyegdo gdo mloovee uhnglitskee?)

Apparently it means 'is there someone here who speaks English' and might direct you to someone you'll be able to communicate with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmald583)
    Looking at the language on the sign, it does seem that you are in the Czech Republic. If you see someone, try asking this:

Je tady někdo, kdo mluví anglicky? (Pronounced Yeh tuhdih nyegdo gdo mloovee uhnglitskee?)

Apparently it means 'is there someone here who speaks English' and might direct you to someone you'll be able to communicate with.
    I straighten myself up behind a bush, brushing clouds of coal dust into the undergrowth; content with my image I stroll confidently across the road.

A young businesswoman is walking lazily down the road, I hail her with that awkward half-wave of the lost, she stops and smiles at me, eager to help. I hazard a combination of half remembered Czech with some English, my pronunciation is terrible and for several seconds the woman simply looks offended. Eventually she says that she knows a little bit of English. I sag with relief... but what do I say now?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.