Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should guys pay for girls on dates? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should men pay for women on dates?
    Yes, any man who doesn't pay for a girl is not worth dating
    8.15%
    He should at least offer
    36.30%
    Only on the first few dates
    11.11%
    No, men and women are equal and it should be divided equally
    44.44%

ReputationRep:
    keep it traditional, maybe first few dates are not spending money (beach, park, hikes) but personally id pay.

I'm going to attach a poll to this thread to get your opinions and settle the argument!

Be as honest as possible!!

- Dragonfly07[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Minefield.

Modern society has turned simple things into ****ing minefields.

If you don't pay, you're ungracious and selfish. If you do pay, you're a chauvinistic pig. (If its a first date, you'll have no idea which view your date holds, so it's inevitable you'll step on the AP mine and get blown to smithereens.)

Basically, it's a ****ing minefield and you know the best thing to do with minefields? Mark & avoid.

Better to just eat popcorn, netflix and chill.

SS

I agree with this. I think the less time I spend thinking about other people's opinions and how much they will be offended the better.

ReputationRep:
    Okay my view on this is
    First date: coffee - easy to get out off and very easy to prolong - each pays for their own drink
    Second date: dinner - he pays because that's just nice
    Third: you start splitting things according to who wants to pay what

No man has to pay but it's a nice sentiment. Just how it's a nice sentiment when I pay for the day out in my relationship

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Do you pull your weight?
    In other ways, yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarflower)
    In other ways, yes.
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    when me and my boyf go on dates, theres been times where his paid and then theres been times when iv paid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 97Y)
    Okay my view on this is
    First date: coffee - easy to get out off and very easy to prolong - each pays for their own drink
    Second date: dinner - he pays because that's just nice
    Third: you start splitting things according to who wants to pay what

No man has to pay but it's a nice sentiment. Just how it's a nice sentiment when I pay for the day out in my relationship
    who the hell has coffee as a first date :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donutellme)
    Such as?
    Domestic duties and being his haven of calm.

ReputationRep:
    As far as i am concerned it depends a lot on the culture of the country...for instance in Italy (i am Italian) it would be considered rude not to pay for the girl especially on the first date. This is due to the mediterrean tradition of being very gallant and pleasing towards girls. Conversely, in the Uk given that the culture is not the same (in particular girls are way more feminist in general) and people are less attached to the old customs, i think that paying on the first date and then splitting would be the best solution.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a firm believer of going halves in this situation. We need to let go of the belief that women are entitled to and should have the male pay for them. Yes, it's flattering and yes its a nice gesture for a male to pay on a date but there's no reason why both the male and the female shouldnt be on the same page in terms of paying here.

That being said, I can realistically acknowledge that it wouldn't look great and it might come across a bit cold and unfriendly if it got to paying and the guy refused to pay and said we should go halves (for example).

ReputationRep:
    I would pay as I would spend a LOT
    we are talking a bottle of two of champagne, scallops, steak, lobster, cognac and cocktails

ReputationRep:
    If both parties have money, why should the issue of paying be the responsibility of one person?

Let's take such situational examples:

- One person asks another out on a date. In that situation, I think that whoever asked should pay but the person who accepted the date should at least offer to split the bill.

- There's an idea of a date floating around, and both parties acquiesce to the idea. In that situation, I would say that the bill should be split down the middle.

- Assume the above situation is the same, but one person orders far more than the other person, so much so that they feel it's unfair that they should have to front up the money. In that situation, assuming that both parties are rational and mature adults, the person who ate more should offer to pay more in recognition of the fact that they ate more, or if not then the person who ate less should speak their mind and the person who ate more should acknowledge that.

If you want to pay for 100% of the bill, regardless of your sex and regardless of who ate what, that's your decision to make, but you should not be, or should not feel that should be, expected to pay for 100% of the bill. There's a difference in making your own financial decisions and having someone else make them for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    So I was having this debate with a friend of mine. I'm a bit undecided, but he thinks that guys should always pay for girls on the first date.

I'm going to attach a poll to this thread to get your opinions and settle the argument!

Be as honest as possible!!

- Dragonfly07
    Depends who does the asking. If the women asked the guy out first she should damn well be prepared to pay for two

ReputationRep:
    Why can't people just pay for the food/drink they bought lol. I mean, I know why, because people are weird and complex and hold all manner of different views, but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sugarflower)
    I never ever pay when I'm on a date. I don't even attempt to. As horrible or unprogressive as this may sound to some people, it's just one of those things a man should deal with.

What happened to good old-fashioned chivalry?
    "Chivalry is dead, and woman killed it" - Don't know where I read that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boobarus)
    "Chivalry is dead, and woman killed it" - Don't know where I read that
    I think there's some truth in that.

ReputationRep:
    I would always pay.

I think been threatened by feminism and trying to turn it into*a battle of which sex is the biggest victim is pathetic. Thats why I don't like the argument that women want equality but then men have it worse because... * I think proper men aren't threatened by feminism and don't allow themselves to be victims. They shape their own relationships the way they want them.

I would ask a woman out, decide the place and pay for it. Im not bothered about a point scoring match between men and women. She hasn't got one up on me by me paying because I'm the one in control.

If she is offended by that then on to the next woman. It wasn't meant to be.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Both parties should be as generous as they can be.

ReputationRep:
    The first date should never be one which costs a real amount of money so i do tend to pay but it's at little cost.

Only once your consider the woman to be worthwhile asset should you be prepared to expend significant resource on aquiring her.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2016
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.