Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    the only UKCAT uni she picked was St Andrews... with 740 that was not a good idea, places like newcastle, southampton, glasgow etc. would have snapped her up for an interview with that score...

this is a prime example of not applying to your strengths for medicine.
    Yep this is exactly what I told her. It's all down to research. I found spending time going through the student room gave me a lot of information on each uni.
    Even places like Manchester, Durham and queen Mary's would've been good.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I'm not sure there's anything especially impressive about languages specifically.
    Languages on their own maybe not. But maybe what you can do with them? Different volunteering opportunities etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orlanda)
    Hiya!

I would strongly recommend you wait to make any decision about your application to any medical school until you get your results.
    At the moment, you have no actual grades with which you can use to see if you'd be a good medicine/Cambridge candidate.
    The only thing I would say is that English Language is a very important GCSE that you would probably need an A in to get into Cambridge.
    This year and in the years to follow, universities are supposedly looking at GCSE results more due to the lack of AS Levels. I'm sure Cambridge will specify on their website around May/June next year the exact GCSE grades they want for 2018 entry.

If you want any more information, I suggest you start a new thread as this is taking the original thread on a tangent
    thank you so much. do you think it would be better if i wrote to the university directly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2000rules)
    thank you so much. do you think it would be better if i wrote to the university directly?
    I'm not sure they would be able to tell you any information until 2017 application is over.
    I really wouldn't worry about it until you have your results

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orlanda)
    I'm not sure they would be able to tell you any information until 2017 application is over.
    I really wouldn't worry about it until you have your results
    thank you so much for your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    Two BMAT universities. And she didn't do too well in BMAT. Then the others were post interview Rejections. St Andrews and Cardiff. Even those two only gave her an interview is very late.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If she had applied to 4 out of 4 UKCAT Unis, she could have got 4/4 interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VARRRDAQ)
    If she had applied to 4 out of 4 UKCAT Unis, she could have got 4/4 interviews
    Everything else being good then yes. That's my main point. You have to be selective about where you apply. Apply to your strengths. If GCSEs are your strength then go for GCSE heavy universities like Cardiff, Birmingham and Oxford. If it's UKCAT then places like Queens Mary's, Manchester, Newcastle and so on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.