Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

2016/17 Rugby (Union) Season Thread Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Any guesses as to who might captain Wales with no Warburton, AWJ or Lydiate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Any guesses as to who might captain Wales with no Warburton, AWJ or Lydiate?
    Gethin Jenkins maybe? Jamie Roberts would be the most senior player after that, but he doesn't strike me as captain material.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Gethin Jenkins maybe? Jamie Roberts would be the most senior player after that, but he doesn't strike me as captain material.
    Could be, is Jenkins still a starting player? Otherwise I guess Roberts or someone like Scott Williams or Jonathan Davies (whoever is involved), maybe Halfpenny?

ReputationRep:
    Could be, is Jenkins still a starting player? Otherwise I guess Roberts or someone like Scott Williams or Jonathan Davies (whoever is involved), maybe Halfpenny?
    I think he'll start on Saturday. Yeah, none of those scream inspiration, but there isn't much choice. Off topic, but I'd love to see us start Williams and Davies. It won't happen as Roberts is undroppable in the current regime.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think he'll start on Saturday. Yeah, none of those scream inspiration, but there isn't much choice. Off topic, but I'd love to see us start Williams and Davies. It won't happen as Roberts is undroppable in the current regime.
    In all fairness Roberts has played some decent stuff in the last year, other than when he was in Cambridge and playing for our uni team.

ReputationRep:
    In all fairness Roberts has played some decent stuff in the last year, other than when he was in Cambridge and playing for our uni team.
    He's undoubtedly a great player, but I feel having him in the team limits our play, we just end up playing "Warren Ball", with it all being one dimensional.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing what a team can do when they actively look to avoid contact and move the ball.

Very poor effort this, even with that Scott Williams try.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I've ever seen Wales play that badly. In truth they were lucky to only concede the five tries, if Australia could have hung onto the ball it could easily have been six or seven.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    An absolutely unbelievable game this evening.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Was at the Wales game today and christ they were awful. You could tell they were missing a few key players.

Unfortunately missed the Ireland game as I was on the train home :sad:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Was at the Wales game today and christ they were awful. You could tell they were missing a few key players.

I've seen very few teams cut open as much as Wales were in that first half in particular. The Pumas will be licking their lips for next weekend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)

Was the atmosphere as dead as it looked on TV? It just all seemed a bit off, both the fans and the players looked lacking in interest. Really odd.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what it was but I thought Wales lacked a little bit of passion when defending which is very unlike them. Is it something to do with the 'new' coach not feeding in passion? Because I doubt Shaun Edwards would create a defence like that
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Was the atmosphere as dead as it looked on TV? It just all seemed a bit off, both the fans and the players looked lacking in interest. Really odd.
    The commentary seemed really flat, to the point that Eddie Butler barely raised his voice from a whisper for a fair part of the game.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Atmosphere was completely non existent, most unlike my previous visits to the stadium.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sr90)
    Atmosphere was completely non existent, most unlike my previous visits to the stadium.
    And the roof was open, which was a real shock given how much Gatland has whinged in the past when 6N rules have let opposition sides leave it open.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    So, who put their hands up for Lions selection this weekend?

Nobody really shone for me for Wales, but with Gatland in charge there will still be loads in. If Sexton and Murray continue their form from Saturday then they'll be shoe ins to start I reckon.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gordon_D)
    So, who put their hands up for Lions selection this weekend?

Nobody really shone for me for Wales, but with Gatland in charge there will still be loads in. If Sexton and Murray continue their form from Saturday then they'll be shoe ins to start I reckon.
    Joe Schmidt? Is there still time to sack the coach?

I still expect Rhys Webb (if he can stay fit) and Owen Farrell will be challenging those two very hard. Farrell's in the form of his life as well right now.

ReputationRep:
    Quite an uninspiring selection from Howley for Wales' game against Japan, with Cuthbert and Anscombe starting ahead of Sam Davies and Keelan Giles, who both make the bench.

England are looking like they're going places, seems like the England of old. I'd be gutted by the fact that they aren't playing New Zealand, if I were an England fan.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    Quite an uninspiring selection from Howley for Wales' game against Japan, with Cuthbert and Anscombe starting ahead of Sam Davies and Keelan Giles, who both make the bench.

England are looking like they're going places, seems like the England of old. I'd be gutted by the fact that they aren't playing New Zealand, if I were an England fan.
    I wouldn't want to see them playing NZ just yet, to be honest, we're on a good losing streak, but a thrashing from a switched on ABs right now would put a huge dent in the team's confidence IMO. After the 6 Nations next year hopefully I'll be thinking otherwise. It does seem that we've got a lot to do in various aspects of the game.

I am looking forward to seeing how Ireland show up against a wounded New Zealand this weekend though... got my fingers crossed for them though, I love watching a winning Ireland team - always really entertaining.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply
Updated: July 8, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.