Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My brother, on the other hand, is just turned 12, so if they do divorce it will hit him really hard, as he's obviously so used to us all in this one big house. The arguing can't be doing him any good either, and one part of me just wishes they'd get it over with sooner rather than later.
    Obviously I don't know your brother at all, so don't know what he's like, but don't underestimate people's ability to adapt to situations. You might find that he copes really well - after he's had time to get used to the idea that everyone won't be living together anymore. I know that everyone reacts very differently to divorce, but my brothers were about the same age (11/12) when my parents divorced, and it never really seemed to affect them. Not negatively anyway.

Two functioning homes, or one functioning single parent, is far preferable to a house where the parents are constantly arguing and contradicting one another, forcing the child to take sides, or see the two people they're supposed to respect most completely demean and tear each other down right in front of them.
    So true! It's horrible knowing that the two people you love the most hate the sight of each other, and are trapped in the situation. I really think that divorce is the best solution in some cases.

My parents separated when I was 6 months old (having separated twice before but got back together) and I believe they were divorced by the time i was 2 and a half, then my dad got remarried when I was about 4 i think but him and my stepmum divorced when i was somewhere between 10 and 12 i can't really remember, and my mum married my stepdad when i was around 10 and they're still married and rarely argue

ReputationRep:
    I wish my parents where divorced, they cant live together , so all their problems automatically fall over my head ….They separated 3 times and then went back for "Children". So we suffer they suffer everyone suffers and it is dead end …Sometimes I think they are selfish ….Anyways I wish they where divorced so that I would have a normal life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shreerac27)
    How many boyfriends do you have and how long have they been together? :eek:
    I meant "boyfriends" as in my boyfriends parents...I only have one boyfriend! and what do you mean "how long have they been together?:eek: "

:confused: :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it's pretty rubbish but at least were not the anomaly anymore. I'd say about half of my parent friends are divorced.

And like many of you I was 10 and it was a pretty horendous time and didn't really settle down for at least 10years. Makes you lose respect for your parents in a way if you get dragged into the middle which seems quite common and are used as a 'weapon' .

ReputationRep:
    my parents never married, so never had the chance of getting a divorce.

ReputationRep:
    I would be interested in the divorce rates with marriages that involve children. I don't give a crap about the idiots who split with no family.

ReputationRep:
    thing is if you can't make the vow,why get married in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lea164)
    thing is if you can't make the vow,why get married in the first place?
    :wtf?:

ReputationRep:
    sorry- vow as in 'till death do us part'. why make it if your not gonna work at keeping it.

ReputationRep:
    sorry- vow as in 'till death do us part'. why make it if your not gonna work at keeping it.
    I think most people who get married and make those vows actually intend to keep it at the time. However, things change and when things become unbearable, you divorce.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i think if it does become unbearable then divorce can be the answer. I just don't like it when couples (parents or not) make a vow like that and use divorce as an easy way out, for selfish reasons. marriage takes work.

ReputationRep:
    Mine divorced before i was even 1. My dad had been cheating on my mum with her brothers wife (my then auntie), which is how my sister is only 3 months younger than me :rolleyes:. I only found out about why they had divorced a couple years ago but i've never said anything to my sister about it, or let my dad know that i know. My mum tends to get me to ask my dad things rather than her doing it, it's a classic case of the child playing messenger.

To be honest i don't ever remember them being married so i know no different anyway, and if my dad would of continued to cheat then i'm glad my mother got rid of him. Me and my dad don't really see eachother anymore because he works away a lot so he makes up for it by shoving money in my face.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, i think if it does become unbearable then divorce can be the answer. I just don't like it when couples (parents or not) make a vow like that and use divorce as an easy way out, for selfish reasons. marriage takes work.
    Fair enough. Although I'm not sure whether keeping a married family together is more difficult than keeping a unmarried family together. From a financial perspective, a married family is certainly treated with an unfair advantage due to benefit and tax laws.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 12, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.