Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think animals are meant to be eaten? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    They're vegetarians, they don't live purely on vegetables. They typically eat fair amounts of rice and flour-based foods too.
    And what is your point exactly? It is possible for large populations of human beings to survive and thrive as vegetarians. Maybe it was not possible before the advent of agriculture, but that's not hugely relevant now is it? A lot of people seem to think that because a load of illiterate cave dwelling hunter gatherers ate meat, we should strive to emulate them for some reason. I suppose we should also revert to their religious beliefs, marital customs and monetary system, and become human sacrificing polygamists who exchange goods through bartering salt and carved rocks in the shape of penises.

But no, it's only their diet we should be emulating apparently, because living our lives like cavemen is only a valid position when its results happen to produce tasty burgers. If you believe eating meat is acceptable, then just say so, why do people bother making ridiculous and illogical arguments to try and justify themselves?

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why I go on this website.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Copperknickers)
    And what is your point exactly? It is possible for large populations of human beings to survive and thrive as vegetarians. Maybe it was not possible before the advent of agriculture, but that's not hugely relevant now is it? A lot of people seem to think that because a load of illiterate cave dwelling hunter gatherers ate meat, we should strive to emulate them for some reason. I suppose we should also revert to their religious beliefs, marital customs and monetary system, and become human sacrificing polygamists who exchange goods through bartering salt and carved rocks in the shape of penises.

But no, it's only their diet we should be emulating apparently, because living our lives like cavemen is only a valid position when its results happen to produce tasty burgers. If you believe eating meat is acceptable, then just say so, why do people bother making ridiculous and illogical arguments to try and justify themselves?
    So, let's recap:

1) Someone stated that, from an evolutionary stand-point, we wouldn't be alive if meat was not consumed.
    2) Someone else stated that we don't need meat to survive.
    3) I quoted them saying they'd missed the point, and clarified the other person's point that our ancestors needed meat to survive due to little other option, and of course if they'd failed to procreate then we wouldn't be here.
    4) That person replied, saying that they had vegetables to eat.
    5) I stated that you can't live off strictly vegetables, and gave a bit of evidence as to why.
    6) You quoted me stating that people in India have been vegetarian for years. Clearly didn't read my post properly as I said you couldn't live off vegetables alone - I said nothing about vegetarians.
    7) I agreed but stated that they're vegetarian, they don't strictly just eat vegetables and do eat a variety of foods.

From that, you've somehow drawn the conclusion that I've suggested that we need meat to survive in the modern world (when I've explicitly stated in one of my previous post that we clearly do not), and that a vegetarian diet = death, and in the process seemed to misunderstand not one, but two of my posts even though they were short and to the point. Communication isn't your strong point, is it :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    So, let's recap:

1) Someone stated that, from an evolutionary stand-point, we wouldn't be alive if meat was not consumed.
    2) Someone else stated that we don't need meat to survive.
    3) I quoted them saying they'd missed the point, and clarified the other person's point that our ancestors needed meat to survive due to little other option, and of course if they'd failed to procreate then we wouldn't be here.
    4) That person replied, saying that they had vegetables to eat.
    5) I stated that you can't live off strictly vegetables, and gave a bit of evidence as to why.
    6) You quoted me stating that people in India have been vegetarian for years. Clearly didn't read my post properly as I said you couldn't live off vegetables alone - I said nothing about vegetarians.
    7) I agreed but stated that they're vegetarian, they don't strictly just eat vegetables and do eat a variety of foods.

From that, you've somehow drawn the conclusion that I've suggested that we need meat to survive in the modern world (when I've explicitly stated in one of my previous post that we clearly do not), and that a vegetarian diet = death, and in the process seemed to misunderstand not one, but two of my posts even though they were short an

Communication isn't your strong point, is it :lol:
    I'll be honest, I didn't look at your other posts, I just saw one post out of context and it seemed to indicate you were on the side of the 'evolution = god' crowd. Anyway, clearly the original point was that because prehistoric people ate meat, we should do so today so my point still stands.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.