Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperHuman98)
    Shakira is 10 years older than Pique
    obviously he'll take her cause she looks like this
    http://static.idolator.com/uploads/2...16/shakira.jpg
    http://vh1.mtvnimages.com/uri/mgid<i...=jpg&width=480

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for age gap relationships as long as you're both over the age of consent.I think you should go for it, you seem to genuinely like her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elmosandy)
    It's weird, but just lay off it bro, when you're 18 no-one cares, you're an adult and you could date an 60 old goldigger but anyone knows, it's not classed as anything and the age gap is suddenly a thing of the past. If you want her and to stay on the safe side, date her at 18.
    lmao 18? calling you victorian would be a compliment...
    if everybody involved is consenting then logically explain to me what the problem here is?

ReputationRep:
    If Tyga and Kylie made it work, then why not

ReputationRep:
    It's legal so go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    if everybody involved is consenting then logically explain to me what the problem here is?
    18 is an adult.

Because nobody cares. When you're 18, ( majority wise ), there is absolulty no argument and people see you as an adult, plus someone might not feel so weird ( as op does ).

Someone might say or judge when they're 17 ( or 16,15..) ( plus that's a pretty big age gap imo, life experiences and changes, I have felt my maturity increased in the years of 16 -18, and i'm sure in two years time ill look at myself and at the massive level of maturity i've reached & think back of how immature I was, I don't know how what 26 year old has got in common with an 17 year old, anyways), you might feel bad of yourself because age gap ( OP's Case ), and ( some cases ) it just dont look good.

Reminder, I did say to stay on the safe. Meaning, at 18, no-one cares and possibly OP will not look/feel so bad about it. ( Or at least, 18 no one can 'protect you' or do anything, regardless of whether they like it or not).

I think 18 is a perfect age, they've ( likely) reached a level of maturity, no-one can touch them, they've seen as an adult in the law ( 16 is not really seen as ), no-can can say anything, ( or if they want to there's no real argument, they're free to do whatever they want), no-one will likely care, no-one will bat an eyelid and the OP can feel how he wants ( presuming its a he; didnt know if he mentioned his gender). Its crazy how you're just seen as an adult at 18, click fingers (16 is not seen as the adult so much, and likely people will just think ' child ' even though legal consent of age).

Nothing, nothings the problem, I just don't see why people cant wait until they're 18, it literally is a lifeboat if you want to be in a teenager/adult age gap relationship.

( btw, girl in question is 17 i know, just 16 as hypothetical)

Even at 17, although nearly an adult, you still are technically a child, that is why so many jobs, applications, and opportunities and skills start at 18.

There's 18 year olds dating 40 year olds, while theres ' why so young, teenager,' comments no-one really cares, or say anything. Because its seen as the age of adult maturity. ( 16 year olds are still childs so whatever age of consent is, it would still be 'wrong ')

Honestly, tell 16 year old dating a 40 year old and see how many people will call that ' appropriate ' ., even if it's age of consent ( and yes I know OP is 26 years old, but again just a hypothetical situation.

ReputationRep:

Btw i'm not Victorian i'm just saying to stay on the safe side, 18 is best in all situations.
    If OP feels unconformable and wants to avoid any troublesome situations then wait until 18 /.
    ( btw 17 isn't that far off, he could get to know her in the year and then ask her out, it's avoids trouble, she'll probably develop and it's a perfect opportunity to become friends and then develop into a relationship?

( and if anyone wants to pull out my husband and I have seven years difference / if 18 and 22 year old date it's okay, but x and z aren't?, it's because in those situation both parties are ****ing adults and obviously there is no difference usually in maturity levels.)
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    There's no moral issue in my opinion but you might find that practically-speaking a relationship is difficult due to different levels of maturity. That being said, emotions don't often care much for practicalities, so I'd say go for it and hopefully things will work out for you both.

ReputationRep:
    Btw i'm not Victorian i'm just saying to stay on the safe side, 18 is best in all situations.
    If OP feels unconformable and wants to avoid any troublesome situations then wait until 18 /.
    what is a "troublesome situation" here?

( btw 17 isn't that far off, he could get to know her in the year and then ask her out, it's avoids trouble, she'll probably develop and it's a perfect opportunity to become friends and then develop into a relationship?
    lol why are you treating this 17 year old as if they have no ability to understand their own consent? why does the other person have to baby them? why do they have to patronise them to that level? that's hilarious

( and if anyone wants to pull out my husband and I have seven years difference / if 18 and 22 year old date it's okay, but x and z aren't?, it's because in those situation both parties are ****ing adults and obviously there is no difference usually in maturity levels.)
    maturity levels = consent levels? there *are* some incredibly immature adults though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I met her in a band, where she sings and she's just really funny, smart, witty, just generally a really cool person. I don't think I'd DO anything with her (like, that'd be paedophilic), but, I just love spending time with her, and being with her. She has this huge grin which makes me happy (ridiculous, I know. I think I'm a goner)
    It wouldn't be paedophilic :facepalm:Pedoephilia is attraction to pre-pubescent children. A 17 yr old is not that.

It is also legal.

(Original post by miser)
    There's no moral issue in my opinion but you might find that practically-speaking a relationship is difficult due to different levels of maturity. That being said, emotions don't often care much for practicalities, so I'd say go for it and hopefully things will work out for you both.
    This basically. There may be problems due to the age difference and her still being a teenager but then there are problems in all relationships. You just have to weigh it all up.

ReputationRep:
    what is a "troublesome situation" here?

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    There may be problems due to her still being a teenager
    The fact she's not an 18 year old.

lol why are you treating this 17 year old as if they have no ability to understand their own consent? why does the other person have to baby them? why do they have to patronise them to that level? that's hilarious

No-one said anything about children not being able to understand their consent, ( do 14 year old girls who have relationships with 40 year old paedophiles willingly are capable of full consent? they are, they think they're in love, is it right? no, again hypothetical situation based on real-life to give this example for this case) neither did I say that beginning a friendship first before going out with her when she's 18 is babying or patronising her ( it's actually more of a compliment waiting, shows you're willing to love imo), it's the fact that to avoid anything ( and to not feel guilty within yourself), if you wait until she's and get to know her, be friends and spend time with her at 18 both are free to do what they want. No criticism, no law, no anything. Literally she'll be an adult then and they are both free because they are seen as adults.

maturity levels = consent levels? there *are* some incredibly immature adults though
    ( Actually agree with you there, it always depends on the situation.

If age didn't mean anything then OP wouldn't be feeling guilty ( age doesn't matter right, she's over the legal age of consent so who cares?).

I am not trying to negate their relationship just saying what I think is best ( and what would be best for OP and her to save face and fight any troublesome arguments.)

If consent levels equalled to maturity then you would not have situation where a underage girls are consenting to their paedophile boyfriends ( Meaning actual paedophiles, not the 26 year old in this case ). consent doesn't mean you're mature or right.

^ which I just said in the last line of my paragraph * usually*, usually at that age, there is no difference in maturity levels, while there's some adults, there's also some very mature children. I know and appreciate of some age gap relationships ( and celebrity ones too, Jonathan Ross. Celine Dion, etc) but the age gap thing ( the 40 and 45 compared to x and d ) is usually pulled out in these arguments. Comparing this situation, a 17 year old girl and a 26 year old man to a 32 and 45 year old dating is hilarious. It's totally different and you can not compare the two.

There may be problems due to the age difference and her still being a teenager
    You've read my first paragraph. It makes sense. Call me whatever, my point actually is better in the long run. Whether you like it or not, no-one ( can) care at 18, so it's worth waiting the year.

Bottom line,you've ignored my first paragraph, my point is, 18 no-one ( can) do anything. It's a safety belt. They are free, OP won't feel guilty, and really it's worth getting to know her before moving on it at 18. There may be some exceptional cases of maturity, but at 18, whether you like it or not, you are an adult. And free of any rules to 'protect' you.

ReputationRep:

Bottom line,you've ignored my first paragraph, my point is, 18 no-one ( can) do anything. It's a safety belt. They are free, OP won't feel guilty, and really it's worth getting to know her before moving on it at 18. There may be some exceptional cases of maturity, but at 18, whether you like it or not, you are an adult. And free of any rules to 'protect' you.
    You don't understand what I was saying.

Legally you can have sex with a 16 yr old. At 16 you are free to choose to have sex.

ReputationRep:
    You don't understand what I was saying.

Legally you can have sex with a 16 yr old. At 16 you are free to choose to have sex.

Nah **** sorry your quote was meant in reference to what is the troublesome situation or the problem of a 17 and a 26 year old dating.

I put it in the wrong place.

No one said anything about age of consent.If a 16 year old and 40 year old are dating I would seriously can't not expect anyone to agree or have some sort of backlash. ( again, yes 17 and 26 is different, i'm just trying to prove a point)

At 18, no-one literally cares, or can care, it's the age of reaching adulthood so you;re free to do anything you want so it's just a safe option.
    There may be problems due to the age difference and her still being a teenager
    ^ you just said it yourself, there may be problems due to the age difference and her still being a teenager. When she's considered an adult, At 18, no-one literally cares, or can care, she will be an adult, so they will be of any problems and/or any guilt. At 18, they're both you;re free to do anything you want so it's just a safe option.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I know. I know it's just completely ridiculous and I'll probably get accused of ****, but I really, really like her.

I met her in a band, where she sings and she's just really funny, smart, witty, just generally a really cool person. I don't think I'd DO anything with her (like, that'd be paedophilic), but, I just love spending time with her, and being with her. She has this huge grin which makes me happy (ridiculous, I know. I think I'm a goner)

I don't mind waiting a few years, and neither does she, because we know how weird it'd be for both our families, but, am I crazy?

It's just the age that's the issue, but we understand each other so so well, and I can't imagine living life without her.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    She'd probably roll her eyes at the sappiness of this. Tbh, this is really out of charcter for me. But I mean it. I really do. I can't express it in any other way.
    Hey there!! I have a sister who is 18, and she has a boyfriend who is 26 years old (27 this year). I guess you can't choose who you catch feelings for!

The idea that the relationship would be paedophilic is crazy, and how comfortable you would feel as a couple to pursue sexual activities depends completely on where the individual is at in terms of maturity.

Anyway, my sister and her boyfriend are clearly madly in love. Also my parents have a 15 year age gap between them and no one bats an eye!! Love is love, and in my personal opinion the age difference that you're talking about isn't inappropriate at all.

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.