Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does not owning house make you out to be a failure? watch

ReputationRep:
    Kay Burley on Sky New's Sky Debate is asking people this very question at the moment. People can contact her on Twitter.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely not! 😁

ReputationRep:
    the majority of people in todays day and age will never be able to own their own home unless they become millionaires or saved for 30-40 years straight. so if that makes you us underachievers then... there are a LOT of underachievers out there. so i don't feel too bad now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
    Definitely not! 😁
    Renting a house is expensive these days, but it helped a friend of mine to save up for a deposit and put it towards a house, its not posh, or fancy but it has central heating, double glazing and close to local shop and accessable to public transport.
    Its doesnt have to posh or in London, its about having warmth in winter, a shop to walk to incase its snows and the roads are gritted, plenty of buses.

If you check rental price each month , they are much higher than a mortgage,.
    It all depends if the persons taste and style. Its like everything else start small and expand as you save and earn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicguru)
    Where else is nice in UK?

Liverpool? Newcastle? Manchester?
    To be honest, I'm not sure. I haven't travelled around the country much - except to Edinburgh, which was absolutely lovely (if extremely quiet)

I'll make sure to scout out possible locations the year before I graduate lol. But I'm sure there must be somewhere else that's half way decent to live in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    To be honest, I'm not sure. I haven't travelled around the country much - except to Edinburgh, which was absolutely lovely (if extremely quiet)

I'll make sure to scout out possible locations the year before I graduate lol. But I'm sure there must be somewhere else that's half way decent to live in the UK
    Canada.

ReputationRep:
    don't understand why people would wanna live in a tiny place in London....by all means do your stint in the rental sector in London while you find your feet as a graduate, but why people would want to pay 1 mil plus for a tiny flat in a horrible crowded loud area in the flight path of heathrow is beyond me. I would much rather rent for a few years, get a couple of promotions/PQE, or get a professional mortgage or something and get on the property ladder somewhere like slough which is cheaper than London and will have crossrail in the next few years (house price will go up a lot). stay there a few years commuting to London, get the equity, get rid of the house and get a nice place in a lovely area like stratford upon avon/warwick that is actually worth 1 mil plus and is like 1 hour from london(detached, massive garden, lots of bedrooms etc)....think smart people

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.