Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    Take their cigs away from them, and make sure they don't get any more (such as by stopping money). Also you could try grounding, or at least until it is sorted out. Best to nip it in the bud. Maybe go to see a stop smoking advisor with him. True you have to have will power, but also a helping hand, especially at his age, is not only needed, but critical!
    His friends will buy it, don't underestimate a smokers way to get cigarettes especially when their addicted.

ReputationRep:
    I have smoked for about ten years before i gave up (twice). I did so by reading Allen Carr's easy way to stop smoking both times, and by eating Nicorrettes and then normal chewing gum the first time, and then by champix and some gum the second time. Understood it is a difficult matter. I also have a critical breathing condition, which was made worse by my smoking. But I have been stopped for five years now, and it is getting a bit better. My energy level is also coming back, although my sleeping is still bad!

ReputationRep:
    I started smoking when I was about 14. My mate's brother bought the baccy for us and we just smoked a couple of cigarettes after school. One day at school my bag got chosen for a random bag search and they found the baccy in it and I got excluded for a week and I got in deep **** with my parents who grounded me (they didn't know I smoked). None of this stopped me smoking but I was just more careful about where I did! I only stopped when I was at the end of my first year of uni because I was more worried about my health and I was self motivated to stop. I only smoked a couple a day and I don't think it has affected me too much but it would have obviously been better if I hadn't started in the first place. With some people, by using the shock treatment such as explaining the health impacts, getting grounded or excluded it can work, but with others, things people say will not really make much difference on the person and it will just take self motivation. I would talk to his parents and maybe talk to him about the effects (try to connect with him rather then be bossy).

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day no matter what other people claim, its none of your business; UNLESS he just started smoking, if so try to make him quit asap, smoking can escalate really fast... And its a habit you dont want, all the stuff they warn you about it true. As a smoker, i didnt really think it'll be that bad when is started, but now i can't taste or smell anywhere near as good, my lungs have felt like only 50% of it has worked for months/years. and chest infections my god, you smoke while having them since the effects of not smoking arent fun, so youll smoke to not get withdrawal and while your smoking it feel like razor blades going down your throat. and after about 3 months-6 months, smoking does literally nothing, the first smoke of the day might give you a little buzz but after from nothing, your just smoking for the sake of it and not to get withdrawl. I wish i could tell this to your brother face to face, then again i doubt hell listen, no one does. but this is all another convo. if hes just started and not hocked please do all you can to get him to stop.

If hes been smoking for some time, for everyday, even if its one or two a day, then you wont be able to do ****, he's hooked and it's done. hes gonna need a lot and i mean a **** ton of will power to stop.. and no one smoker really stop smoking; and thats pretty much a fact. very very few people get past quitting for 25 years, If he's hooked and you bother him, then all you'll do it annoy him and make him feel like **** and he won't stop because you're asking him to or your parent for that matter, all youll do like i said it make him hate you for making him feel bad and youll annoy him, its sad but thats the truth.

feel some comfort in the fact that he's 16 and won't be able to get cigarettes easily. then again i had friend who got them at their conor shop when ever they wanted at 15.

lastly withdrawal for nicotine is horrible, this is from first hand experience, i could tell you more, but i can say its one of teh worst things i've experienced, and unlike hard drugs, it last months even a year, and that takes a lot of will power to overcome, and most dont have it. for me and many other, its this simple, the long term gain for quiting is not worth the horrible short term hardships.

ReputationRep:
    Scare him. My granddad smoked a lot and now has a stroke and can't even talk sadly! My dad, a doctor, told him to stop and he didn't, and the former was the result sadly:/

ReputationRep:
    Tell your parents.

I'm legit only sayin this cause its funny af how mad some people are gettin in this thread lmfao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    It's not his business really. It's entirely his choice what he does with his body.
    Are you also one of the people who claims women can have as many abortions as they want, even if they use it as birth control because they dont want to use condoms?

Anyway, completely wrong. He's 16, he's underage, it is not entirely his choice what he does with his body. His parents pay the insurance bills, not him.

You could argue that its non of his sisters business, but it surely is his parent's business.

ReputationRep:
    why are you even bothered? at least its not crack (you wouldnt know anyway as you cant smell it)
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I started smoking at 15, I'm fully aware of the risks and effects blah blah blah.

Your brother is 16 OP, let the kid make some decisions for himself because that's how we learn. You have no control over him in this way because he will find a way to smoke regardless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Tell your parents.

I'm legit only sayin this cause its funny af how mad some people are gettin in this thread lmfao.
    :rant:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Anyway, completely wrong. He's 16, he's underage, it is not entirely his choice what he does with his body. .
    16 is the legal age to smoke

(Original post by shawtyb)
    why are you even bothered? at least its not crack (you wouldnt know anyway as you cant smell it)
    Since crack is only smoked off of tin foil/light bulb or a pipe and none of those things can be easily confused for something else...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)

Since crack is only smoked off of tin foil/light bulb or a pipe and none of those things can be easily confused for something else...
    Is 16 the legal age? I didnt know that. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)

u smoke heroin of tin foil, not crack...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Is 16 the legal age? I didnt know that. Thanks.
    Yup, it's only 18 to buy them.. slightly bizzare right?

ReputationRep:
    u smoke heroin of tin foil, not crack...
    Wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'd be worried because I lost someone because of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Yup, it's only 18 to buy them.. slightly bizzare right?
    That legislature requires some serious mental gymnastics. Being a German however, I'm used to this sort of beauraucratic bull$****.

At least the beer laws make sense here. (You can legally buy and drink beer here at 16.) And we all know thats what really matters. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Wrong.
    oh how wrong you are.
    dont try and argue with someone who has experience on the bloody subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Wrong.
    let me educate you.
    heroin starts of as a brown rock like substance, u can put it on tin foil, light it from underneath and it turns to a liquid. u tilt the tin foil and with like a 20note or something, u hover it over the trail behind the liquid blob and breath in the fumes through the note.
    that method is called chasing the dragon

crack is predominantly a rock, u put it in a pipe and when u light the pipe, the rock crackles, hence the name CRACK!
    u breath in the fumes.

ReputationRep:
    oh how wrong you are.
    dont try and argue with someone who has experience on the bloody subject
    I'm not sure if you're intentionally trying to come accross as dence or what?

1] It's probably not the best idea to out yourself as a crack head
    2] even worse idea to spout drivel like that which is, once again, WRONG
    3] Do you really want me to post the instruction manual for smoking crack off of tin foil just to prove how wrong you are ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    I'm not sure if you're intentionally trying to come accross as dence or what?

1] It's probably not the best idea to out yourself as a crack head
    2] even worse idea to spout drivel like that which is, once again, WRONG
    3] Do you really want me to post the instruction manual for smoking crack off of tin foil just to prove how wrong you are ?
    firstly, im not a crack head.
    second off, i know im right via PAST experience and knowing alot of people who do both
    please, stfu

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.