Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have I damaged my chances of finding a job after sending this email? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Beyond unprofessional. I think you should send an email out, and apologise. Say that you were frustrated or something.
    That way it hopefully won't backfire later on, if you ever cross ways with the agency or the people you that received your email.

ReputationRep:
    I have a better chance of getting a Girlfriend, than you getting the Job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    I know he was completely wrong in his communication, but that aside, do you understand his frustration? To be lead to believe you were going for a job interview, to travel the distance, put all the interview preparation in, and then basically there is no job, and you've simply signed up to the agency.

Agencies do this all the time, and it's so misleading and I feel is preying on on desperate job seekers. Many of my friends who signed up to recruitment agencies never actually found work through them, but off their own backs.
    I understand the frustration to some extent but I also understand the recruiters frustration.

There are enough people who don't even bother turning up to these appointments. So they over book them and do them on a very basic meeting to get the information they require. It is rarely about coming in to discuss one role, it's just to sort out the admin side and to see how you present yourself.

I very much doubt they were brought in for a job interview - that isn't what the agencies do. They just see you to see if you are the type of person they want to represent. Anyone who misunderstand that just needs educating on how recruitment agencies work.

And to be frank that is no distance at all to travel. £8 worth of petrol or 22 miles is nothing in the grand scheme of things. A lot of people commute more than that daily for their jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sationti)
    It just made me angry as they could see my address on my CV and so knew I would have a 22 mile journey to make. In all fairness, maybe it was me being naive as I know how agencies operate (especially the little backstreet ones desperate to fill their talent pool and say to employers 'ooo look how many CVs we hold'), but it was the premise that they got me there on the basis of going for a specific role rather than just being there to be added as another CV in their pool.
    Recruiters haven't really got time to work out how far you have got to travel. They hope that the candidate is savy enough to use their own judgement as to whether the distance is worth it for the individual.

There will be plenty of individuals who would travel 22 miles without even thinking and not see it as an issue. They can't be expected to know that you saw t as an issue if nothing came of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Wow... just wow...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    To be quite honest, if 22 miles of driving costs you £8, you've either got the least fuel efficient car, or drove in 1st gear the whole way... My car does about 300 miles on a full tank, which costs me about £40-50. That's like 15p per mile... Not 37p...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    To be quite honest, if 22 miles of driving costs you £8, you've either got the least fuel efficient car, or drove in 1st gear the whole way... My car does about 300 miles on a full tank, which costs me about £40-50. That's like 15p per mile... Not 37p...!
    Ok I was probably exaggerating about the fuel as I drive an 09 reg. I was more annoyed about the time I wasted. This thread is about that *****y agency though, not some outlet for you to boast your car's fuel economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok I was probably exaggerating about the fuel as I drive an 09 reg. I was more annoyed about the time I wasted. This thread is about that *****y agency though, not done outlet for you to boast your car's fuel economy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The people at the agency will also be kicking themselves for wasting time on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    Recruiters haven't really got time to work out how far you have got to travel. They hope that the candidate is savy enough to use their own judgement as to whether the distance is worth it for the individual.

There will be plenty of individuals who would travel 22 miles without even thinking and not see it as an issue. They can't be expected to know that you saw t as an issue if nothing came of it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did travel 22 miles without a second thought, on the basis of a lie that I was going for an interview. The reason they said it was for an interview is because they know most people wouldn't have done a 44 mile round trip just to have a passport photocopied and here 'don't call us, we'll call you'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The people at the agency will also be kicking themselves for wasting time on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hahaha wasting time on me. They didn't spend any on me! Although even if they had it would have been more productive than the sitting around bored they were actually doing; there were no other candidates and barely any jobs on their board.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did travel 22 miles without a second thought, on the basis of a lie that I was going for an interview. The reason they said it was for an interview is because they know most people wouldn't have done a 44 mile round trip just to have a passport photocopied and here 'don't call us, we'll call you'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Any "interview" with an agency is to judge your character/presentation more than anything. They want to make sure they aren't putting forward rubbish candidates and that affects their reputation with the companies they work for.

You didn't pass this basic test thanks to your email.

No agency interviews specifically for a job. So you've now learnt that lesson and should move forward from it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha wasting time on me. They didn't spend any on me! Although even if they had it would have been more productive than the sitting around bored they were actually doing; there were no other candidates and barely any jobs on their board.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They did spend time on you. They have created your details and candidate file, they organised a meeting with you, they met you, they took you details, the photocopied your documents. It might have seemed quiet but for every job role they probably have to do this same process for 20+ candidates.

It's a shame that you deem your time more worthy than theirs - but then again I'm not surprised with your attitude.

However with all that effort from both sides, it is now all for nothing as your candidate file now has a big black mark of "don't bother with this one" on it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    I understand the frustration to some extent but I also understand the recruiters frustration.

There are enough people who don't even bother turning up to these appointments. So they over book them and do them on a very basic meeting to get the information they require. It is rarely about coming in to discuss one role, it's just to sort out the admin side and to see how you present yourself.

I very much doubt they were brought in for a job interview - that isn't what the agencies do. They just see you to see if you are the type of person they want to represent. Anyone who misunderstand that just needs educating on how recruitment agencies work.

And to be frank that is no distance at all to travel. £8 worth of petrol or 22 miles is nothing in the grand scheme of things. A lot of people commute more than that daily for their jobs.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know that's not what agencies do and that I'd have had further interviews for the company had I been progressed through the application process. What annoyed me was that the role I was going for was not even what I'd initially applied for and it was their suggestion that I'd be more suitable for it and the purpose of me going was to discuss it in more depth. For me to spend an hour each way getting there just to have my passport photocopied and no discussion about my actual skills, let ALONE the role, was galling to say the least.

And by the way, I used to commute an hour each way for my job before university, and would happily do so again. I just didn't appreciate being lied to as some way of propping up their database.

I know I was wrong sending the email though, and I acknowledged that in my first post.

ReputationRep:
    I can only imagine that this email was forwarded around the office much to the amusement of almost every member of staff within that company.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    And anyway, it was a 44 mile round trip (the place was 22 miles from home).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I understand your frustration but that was so out of line. You could've asked what the interview would be like and what it would entail before-hand. Initial interviews with recruitment agencies are often like that, as far as I'm aware. You should really email again with an apology. Your degree does not put you above these people. It's my feeling that they probably saw this attitude from the out-set and just tried to brush you off. I've travelled much further for much more disappointing things. It happens to a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel147)
    I can only imagine that this email was forwarded around the office much to the amusement of almost every member of staff within that company.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've looked up that agency anyway on Companies House and their accounts make for very amusing reading. I'll be the one laughing when it folds and they're singing for their supper on the dole.

ReputationRep:
    Having recently graduated university, I am presently seeking employment and last week applied for a job with an agency. They got back to me a few hours later and asked me to attend an interview at their offices. When I got there though, all I was asked to do was show my passport as proof of my right to work in the UK, and fill in some basic form that basically said 'what skills do you have?'.

When the agency lady called me in to the office, I thought we would be discussing the role I had applied for, but she seemed clueless to say the least and not remotely interested in putting me forward for the role, and was just like 'oh we won't struggle to get you a job, we'll be in touch'. I made a point of saying that I had gone there about that particular role, but again she didn't seem much about it and just reiterated they'd be in touch.

I was angry because the agency was 22 miles away and must have cost at least 8 quid in petrol to do the round trip. To top it off, quelle surprise, a week later I've heard nothing.

Last night I'd had a couple of glasses of wine and sent them the following email to the lady who invited me to the interview:

'Dear Jackie, Thank you very much for wasting my time and petrol last week in inviting me to an 'interview' with your tinpot agency (you're hardly Adecco or Manpower are you, let's not delude ourselves). As you will have seen, I have a 2:1 degree in an academic subject from a very good university, whereas I bet I could count the number of GCSEs your entire office hold on one hand. Applications of my calibre of an increasingly rare variety and it is so disheartening to see that I have still been treated with apathy.

Your office had the atmosphere of a morgue and I can imagine you're hardly inundated with companies seeking your services (after the way you treat excellent candidates though, I can see why. If you were to phone me tomorrow and offer me that job, I would say 'not a chance, poopy-pants'.

Yours sincerely

(x)'.

On reflection, I know that I shouldn't have sent it as it was a bit off, but I was angry because I have a fabulous CV and would excel in any role I am offered. Would this agency though be able to scupper my chances with any other jobs?
    Yeah your not getting a job from that company ever again. Funny email though!

ReputationRep:
    I've looked up that agency anyway on Companies House and their accounts make for very amusing reading. I'll be the one laughing when it folds and they're singing for their supper on the dole.
    And yet they will still be far more employable than you...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know that's not what agencies do and that I'd have had further interviews for the company had I been progressed through the application process. What annoyed me was that the role I was going for was not even what I'd initially applied for and it was their suggestion that I'd be more suitable for it and the purpose of me going was to discuss it in more depth. For me to spend an hour each way getting there just to have my passport photocopied and no discussion about my actual skills, let ALONE the role, was galling to say the least.

And by the way, I used to commute an hour each way for my job before university, and would happily do so again. I just didn't appreciate being lied to as some way of propping up their database.

I know I was wrong sending the email though, and I acknowledged that in my first post.
    I sense you walked in with this sense of entitlement and attitude, and the recruiters worked out quickly not to waste any further time on you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.