Do TSR staff like to ride the big pole all the way?

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    It's not that bad, but judge for yourself: https://goo.gl/maps/FSu3aCnAZWG2

My main gripe is that the money could have gone to much better causes, even amongst the limited options available under the terms of the development loan the council borrowed from. Re-vamping the crumbling arches on the seafront, or refurbishing/replacing the Brighton Centre would have been far more worthwhile projects instead of building yet another glorified tourist trap.
    Oh, this is councils all over - take the boondoggle 'Garden Bridge' over the Thames for example, central London is absolutely crying out for a new cyclists and pedestrians bridge over the Thames, but this thing (at huge expense to council tax payers) will be closed regularly for private corporate events, has no access for cyclists and restricted access for pedestrians.

Unfortunately, whilst many of us have moved into the 21st century in our thinking about what makes sense in cities, many of the key decision makers are still basically stuck in the 1960s in terms of their economic and environmental ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Oh, this is councils all over - take the boondoggle 'Garden Bridge' over the Thames for example, central London is absolutely crying out for a new cyclists and pedestrians bridge over the Thames, but this thing (at huge expense to council tax payers) will be closed regularly for private corporate events, has no access for cyclists and restricted access for pedestrians.

Unfortunately, whilst many of us have moved into the 21st century in our thinking about what makes sense in cities, many of the key decision makers are still basically stuck in the 1960s in terms of their economic and environmental ideas.
    Sadly spectacle often trumps practicality. Though by the sounds of it, we got off lightly compared to London; that bridge project sounds utterly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    Sadly spectacle often trumps practicality. Though by the sounds of it, we got off lightly compared to London; that bridge project sounds utterly ridiculous.
    It was a sort of fantasy of Joanna Lumley's which became a reality because she is one of Bojo's best chums. Boris was impervious to logic on it and also made sure that a number of mates of his had their greasy palms substantially larded with additional fat as part of the short-cut (probably illegal, but hey, what does that matter?) procurement process he used to wing it through.

Khan is reviewing it, but sadly has not immediately cancelled the project, which is what should be happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's in Brighton. :excited:

It's very tall and very spiky. :eek:

TSR is based in Brighton. :yep:

First-hand accounts please. Did you run out of oxygen? Is it freakishly scary? :eek4:

What happens when you reach the top? :curious:

Is there sushi? :drool:

Do tell.

Clickbait. Someone remove this user from Modhood. We were all expecting a different type of pole riding...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    Oh stop with the thread title :rofl:

I think it's ugly and ruins the landscape of the beach tbh, but I have to admit it looks pretty amazing at night:

You get half price to ride it if you're a Brighton resident :woo:
    Great pic. Did you take this picture?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    It is quite a controversial build due to the costs of building it and the dubious predictions about its return.

It only really opened today so haven't had a chance to go on it. Will probably get around to it at some point but I am not in a huge run.

They are alledgedly going to put up a zip wire on the sea front though which is more exciting!
    So, what is the big pole for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dez)
    I think it's acceptable to show them your eco-friendly cooking oil powered vehicle or kale smoothie maker for the discount.
    I'm assuming my nutribullet and Berts-bought spiralizer will suffice. I do love a big pole.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Great pic. Did you take this picture?
    Nope I found it on twitter here: https://twitter.com/FinnHop/status/7...160?lang=en-gb

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.