Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

French water park bans "non-Muslim attire" for a day watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by sleepysnooze)
    I know fully that islam/muslims =/= a race
    I am saying that they are a race in this context because people who tend to defend islam blur it all as a race, and call their critics "racists". I am saying that if this stands, then barring non-muslims from events like this one must, therefore, also be "racist" too. that's all I'm saying. I respect the right of people to have private property and hence private associations. but if it's racist to bar or exclude muslims from something, then this is also that brand of "racism"
    Not really it doesnt stand because its wrong.
    It doesnt mean you cnat be a racist as well and there are plenty of those on these forums.

Nope you cna bar muslims from a private event, just not a public one. See the difference?

Burkini party is private.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Not really it doesnt stand because its wrong.
    It doesnt mean you cnat be a racist as well and there are plenty of those on these forums.

Nope you cna bar muslims from a private event, just not a public one. See the difference?

Burkini party is private.
    But in doing so you WOULD be labeled a racist. If I rented out a pool for a non Muslim day, people would hate me for it. So why do people find a Muslim only day more acceptable?

Still wondering, in my original post I asked if any Muslims would say if they would swim near people in a normal swimsuit, anybody out there? Does this make you uncomfortable or?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by 1010marina)
    But in doing so you WOULD be labeled a racist. If I rented out a pool for a non Muslim day, people would hate me for it. So why do people find a Muslim only day more acceptable?

Still wondering, in my original post I asked if any Muslims would say if they would swim near people in a normal swimsuit, anybody out there? Does this make you uncomfortable or?
    You reallt dont understand the point. Its a private party. If they want to invite people to that party who only dress as smurfs then they are allowed to do so. This si why your thread is disingenuoys and inaccurate.

You could have a party and exclude muslims, just as you could do so for a party in your own house. The only laws that you would need to be wary of is whether it could be viewed as inciting racial or religious hatred.

Limiting it to a selcted guests who need to be wearing burkinis isnt to my knowledge an attemopt to incite religious hatred. You are missing the whole concept of a private party.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    You reallt dont understand the point. Its a private party. If they want to invite people to that party who only dress as smurfs then they are allowed to do so. This si why your thread is disingenuoys and inaccurate.

You could have a party and exclude muslims, just as you could do so for a party in your own house. The only laws that you would need to be wary of is whether it could be viewed as inciting racial or religious hatred.

Limiting it to a selcted guests who need to be wearing burkinis isnt to my knowledge an attemopt to incite religious hatred. You are missing the whole concept of a private party.
    I do get your point - what they're doing is perfectly legal. But my point is that I don't think it's morally right.

If you want to host a no Muslim party, call it a "community event" and invite the general public, be my guest. Just don't be surprised if you get labeled a racist and, like you said, aren't allowed to go through with.

If this was a Nazi style, Aryan only party would you feel the same way?

ReputationRep:
    Isn't integration great?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.