Turn on thread page Beta

How long has your MP3/iPod survived? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Had my Zen Nano Plus 1GB for 1 year and 7 months, aside from the battery cover being missing, it is still working well.

ReputationRep:
    5GB Rio Carbon 3years and still going. Bit funny sometimes tho as it deletes playlists when you remove it from the computer now but other than that, the only problems I have had is with playlists not transfering but that was sorted out by getting in touch with the techies

ReputationRep:
    My iPod Video's first birthday is 24th August. It has been in its case since I got it so it still looks imaculate :p:

ReputationRep:
    has anyone heard about the new ipod that is supposed to come out later this year. Apple hasn't given any details on how it's going to look but i can't wait till it's out...

back to the initial question of the thread... my mini ipod broke.. it went for about 1.5 years...and now i have a nano...and its still working

ReputationRep:
    creative zen touch!
    3 years in january!

ReputationRep:
    My 3rd Gen iPod lasted 3 years, before the dock connector broke, meaning it wouldn't charge, sync, or play audio through the dock. I was pretty disappointed with that because it'd treated it faultlessly.

ReputationRep:
    Had an ipod nano orginally, worked pretty well until 6 months later it just dropped dead completely, wouldn't turn on. Tesco was really nice and offered me a full refund, which i used to buy a 5G video ipod.

A little over a year and it works fine apart from the hold button...anyone know how to fix this? Acutally my ipod earphones died not long ago, not too bad since they aren't that great anyway.

Waiting for the sexy 6G to come out, should be coming out soon i think, read an article about apple price slashing current models and trends show that one is due.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, some people really know how to make their ipods last. I know at least three different people who got ipods and had to get them replaced within a year and a half because of different problems like batteries dying/faulty HDD etc. My 5th gen ipod has lasted me nine months now. Pretty good condition methinks.

ReputationRep:
    I got my 2nd gen 10gig ipod for my birthday in march 2003.

it still plays music but is freaking slow as amazingly the battery hasn't been reduced to 10 minutes of play time :P

I gave that ipod to my sister in 2005ish tho and haven't bought an ipod since

it's all about the archos pmps

I also laughed at the title of the thread, why exactly have you separated the ipod from other "mp3 players" when the ipod IS an mp3 player?

ReputationRep:
    My Sony NW-HD3 has lasted me 20 months so far. Apart from dust developing behind the screen, it's still in excellent condition. The battery doesn't seem to last quite as long as it used to, only about 12-13 hours now, but I did increase the bitrate of my music fairly recently, so I daresay that's a contributory factor.

ReputationRep:
    I've had my 5G iPod since it came out...is that 22/23 months now?

ReputationRep:
    I must have had my rio karma for about 3.5 years and it's still going strong. I imagine the battery will go in a year or 2, then I'll have to work out what to get to replace it.

ReputationRep:
    Two years, nine months.

ReputationRep:
    My 2nd gen iPod nano, is still working despite dropping it in the shower :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wicker_man)
    I've had my iPod (3rd gen) since Xmas 2003, so that's about 3.5 years.
    ditto

The battery has needed a battery pack to keep it going longer than 10 minutes for about the last year and a half, but other than that it still works perfectly - the occasional freeze but nothing serious

ReputationRep:
    5 gig Zen Micro, 2 years of near daily use. I have a feeling it's about to fail though, been glitchy today infact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali07)
    My 5th gen ipod has lasted me nine months now. Pretty good condition methinks.
    That's the thing though, I've heard several cases where the actual iPod is in great exterior condition, but the HD inside dies... but lets hope this doesn't happen.

ReputationRep:
    My 4G iPod has lasted going on two years, and I've dropped it several times. They're hardy beasts, I tell ya. Or it might just be the sock knitted by my mum I use to cover it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1gx1)
    That's the thing though, I've heard several cases where the actual iPod is in great exterior condition, but the HD inside dies... but lets hope this doesn't happen.
    Thats exactly my point too. Problems with iPods usually occur from the inside - even if you take good care of the exterior... Dunno why - maybe magnetic fields or such.

ReputationRep:
    me and my sister's ipod minis lasted just over a year. mine due to the battery not lasting longer than an hour or two and hers just stopped working altogether. however i know they have improved a lot and won't hesitate in buying another ipod eventually.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 16, 2007
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.