Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should it be illegal to force a child to believe in a religion or ideology? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gman786)
    Why isn't heaven a good place according to you?
    Depending on which religion we're talking about, this God fella is cool with rape, incest, slavery, mass murder, misogyny...

So between a Heaven full of bigots and a Hell with a scientists, gays and atheists I know which one I'd rather be in ^^

ReputationRep:
    People saying how do you enforce it, how do you know what people do in their homes and there's no way to control it - are you saying there's no point having child abuse as illegal? After all, most children don't do anything about it, nor do people who notice it. Rape is often not reported either. Or domestic violence and abuse. That doesn't mean we should just go "well there's no point making it illegal".

Personally I agree with op, this sort of forcing any type of ideology or belief onto a child should simply be seen as child abuse. It will not always be reported, but the fact it's not 100% effective doesn't mean child services should be abolished.

ReputationRep:
    It'll be very difficult to regulate this is if it was made illegal and may result in unnecessary breaking of families.

ReputationRep:
    Unenforceable, and potentially sets a precedent that you can't force a child to believe anything, which could get very weird very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    In theory, yes, but it is impossible to enforce such law without a totalitarian police.
    This. The state is already creeping into every aspect of our lives; let's not give them more of a push.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is though that you dont need to ban it.Take smoking for example it hasnt been banned, its just strongly discouraged as harmful to health.Thats what we should be doing discouraging ideologies with no evidence to back them up and promoting rational thinking.Faith without evidence should be thought of as a bad thing and a stigma attached to it.If I said I belived in santa claus or the tooth fairy as an adult I would likely be mocked for such a belief.But if you say you believe in God there is not the same stigma attached even though both assertions have exactly zero evidence to back them up.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd go as far as make it illegal. However, I really disrespect religious parents who raise their children to be religious. They're basically brainwashed from a young age and have never been given the choice to make up their mind about whether or not they want to be religious or not. I actually have a friend who has Catholic parents, but they waited until he was in his teens before introducing him to religion because they respected him and wanted him to make his mind up. Obviously he is an atheist now, but I really wish more religious parents did this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.