The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

aliel
6.111111 was my average.

Did you do nine subjects, perchance?! I doubt it was 18!
Helenia
Erm, just seems everyone round here is perfect :redface: and I'm somewhat flawed.

You might be flawed (as are we all!), but at least you are PINK!
Reply 42
Helenia
7.8 (10 A*s, As). Seems every time I come on this site I feel thicker and thicker :frown:

:eek:
Reply 43
BazTheMoney
Erm... 12 A*s and an A, so just above 7.9

Reply 44
d750
8. Go me. :rolleyes:

6 A*'s and 4A's ----> 7.6 Average (I think)

Comprehensive school of course, so I didn't purchase my grades from the local private school or went to a private school that was technically called a "grammar school" and hence used the term "state school" when infact this is bullshit.
shiny

It would be good to have 2 threads, one for comprehensive schoolers and another for private/grammar schoolers, then compare them.
Reply 47
Invisible
6 A*'s and 4A's ----> 7.6 Average (I think)

Reply 48
shiny

What did you get Shiny?
Reply 49
wouldn't it be better to ask for total points. as some people who have more GCSES but a few more As look worse than those with less GCSEs but proportionally more A*s. 12 A*s and an A is better than 10A*s for instance yet it actually comes out worse but im sure if you had two candidates that were identical in every other way it would be the person with 12A*s and an A who got in rather than the person with 10A*s, just a thought.
Reply 50
notyourpunk
wouldn't it be better to ask for total points. as some people who have more GCSES but a few more As look worse than those with less GCSEs but proportionally more A*s. 12 A*s and an A is better than 10A*s for instance yet it actually comes out worse but im sure if you had two candidates that were identical in every other way it would be the person with 12A*s and an A who got in rather than the person with 10A*s, just a thought.

But 9/10 GCSEs is the average so having more does not necessarily mean better.
Reply 51
Lord Huntroyde
:eek: What did you get Shiny?

I am quite dense :redface:

Nothing comparable to these academic heavyweights! :eek:
shiny

How did you do Shiny?
Lord Huntroyde
But 9/10 GCSEs is the average so having more does not necessarily mean better.

All he's saying is that 12 A*'s and 1 A is better than 10 A*'s, but points wise the 10A*'s person would edge it.

Not that it matters, once you get into the "All A*'s/A's" bracket then it's the other things that count. Plus people's backgrounds and circumstances need to be considered.

e.g.) 10A's from a craphole is more impressive than 10A's from Eton.

e.g.) AS Grades on August the 19th, at 10am..... :frown:
Reply 54
Invisible
All he's saying is that 12 A*'s and 1 A is better than 10 A*'s, but points wise the 10A*'s person would edge it.

Not that it matters, once you get into the "Al A*'s/A's" bracket then it's the other things that count.

e.g.) AS Grades on August the 19th, at 10am..... :frown:

But then 32 grade Cs would rank better than 8 A*s but we all know which is better; this sytem is slightly flawed, but is the best method.
Reply 55
I feel a bit thick now :redface:
Reply 56
shiny

But you're well past this stage! Your degree is a little bit better than a fistfull of A*s
Lord Huntroyde
But then 32 grade Cs would rank better than 8 A*s but we all know which is better; this sytem is slightly flawed, but is the best method.

Yes I know, I never suggested the total points system, this one is much better certainly as the quality of grades matter, rather than doing crap in 50 and otting up the points, lol.

It isn't perfect, but good enough certainly. Most people do 9/10 GCSE's anyway, so it's pretty much spot on.
shiny

I went on the Sutton Trust Summer School at Oxford for Physics just recently, and the people didn't all have "10A*'s." An exceptional few had such grades, but many tended to have a few A*'s, lots of A's and a couple of B's/C's. I suppose a fair chunk had grades similarish to mine.

And these were clever people, all pretty much applying to Oxford - And you must also consider that 1 in 4 got a place for this course.
Reply 59

2 A*, 6.5 A, 1 B @ GCSE

I also took AS ICT (A) and GNVQ ICT (Distinction) in year 11 but I've left them out.

I will be applying to Cam for entry in 2005.

Latest

Trending

Trending