Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliel)
    6.111111 was my average.

Did you do nine subjects, perchance?! I doubt it was 18!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Erm, just seems everyone round here is perfect and I'm somewhat flawed.
    You might be flawed (as are we all!), but at least you are PINK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    7.8 (10 A*s, 2½ As). Seems every time I come on this site I feel thicker and thicker
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BazTheMoney)
    Erm... 12 A*s and an A, so just above 7.9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d750)
    8. Go me. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    6 A*'s and 4A's ----> 7.6 Average (I think)

Comprehensive school of course, so I didn't purchase my grades from the local private school or went to a private school that was technically called a "grammar school" and hence used the term "state school" when infact this is ********.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    It would be good to have 2 threads, one for comprehensive schoolers and another for private/grammar schoolers, then compare them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    6 A*'s and 4A's ----> 7.6 Average (I think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)

What did you get Shiny?

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't it be better to ask for total points. as some people who have more GCSES but a few more As look worse than those with less GCSEs but proportionally more A*s. 12 A*s and an A is better than 10A*s for instance yet it actually comes out worse but im sure if you had two candidates that were identical in every other way it would be the person with 12A*s and an A who got in rather than the person with 10A*s, just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    wouldn't it be better to ask for total points. as some people who have more GCSES but a few more As look worse than those with less GCSEs but proportionally more A*s. 12 A*s and an A is better than 10A*s for instance yet it actually comes out worse but im sure if you had two candidates that were identical in every other way it would be the person with 12A*s and an A who got in rather than the person with 10A*s, just a thought.
    But 9/10 GCSEs is the average so having more does not necessarily mean better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    :eek: What did you get Shiny?
    I am quite dense

Nothing comparable to these academic heavyweights! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    How did you do Shiny?

ReputationRep:
    But 9/10 GCSEs is the average so having more does not necessarily mean better.
    All he's saying is that 12 A*'s and 1 A is better than 10 A*'s, but points wise the 10A*'s person would edge it.

Not that it matters, once you get into the "All A*'s/A's" bracket then it's the other things that count. Plus people's backgrounds and circumstances need to be considered.

e.g.) 10A's from a craphole is more impressive than 10A's from Eton.

e.g.) AS Grades on August the 19th, at 10am.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    All he's saying is that 12 A*'s and 1 A is better than 10 A*'s, but points wise the 10A*'s person would edge it.

Not that it matters, once you get into the "Al A*'s/A's" bracket then it's the other things that count.

e.g.) AS Grades on August the 19th, at 10am.....
    But then 32 grade Cs would rank better than 8 A*s but we all know which is better; this sytem is slightly flawed, but is the best method.

ReputationRep:
    I feel a bit thick now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I feel a bit thick now
    But you're well past this stage! Your degree is a little bit better than a fistfull of A*s

ReputationRep:
    But then 32 grade Cs would rank better than 8 A*s but we all know which is better; this sytem is slightly flawed, but is the best method.
    Yes I know, I never suggested the total points system, this one is much better certainly as the quality of grades matter, rather than doing crap in 50 and otting up the points, lol.

It isn't perfect, but good enough certainly. Most people do 9/10 GCSE's anyway, so it's pretty much spot on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    I feel a bit thick now
    I went on the Sutton Trust Summer School at Oxford for Physics just recently, and the people didn't all have "10A*'s." An exceptional few had such grades, but many tended to have a few A*'s, lots of A's and a couple of B's/C's. I suppose a fair chunk had grades similarish to mine.

And these were clever people, all pretty much applying to Oxford - And you must also consider that 1 in 4 got a place for this course.

ReputationRep:

2 A*, 6.5 A, 1 B @ GCSE

I also took AS ICT (A) and GNVQ ICT (Distinction) in year 11 but I've left them out.

I will be applying to Cam for entry in 2005.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.