The Unofficial TSR Libertarian Party

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galaxie501)
    Thank you for all the criticism and support thus far. Excuse the question, but in what form am I allowed to get involved in mHoC bills, amendments and petitions? Considering I am a non-member of the house or any official party.
    You can debate anything you like in the main forum, and you can submit petitions (using this tool). There is a half-built help thread here that you (or any of the other new faces in this thread) might be interested in to give you a bit of a grounding in how this place works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    You can debate anything you like in the main forum, and you can submit petitions (using this tool). There is a half-built help thread here that you (or any of the other new faces in this thread) might be interested in to give you a bit of a grounding in how this place works.
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

similarBlank

Nice job mate. Looks good AFAIC.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

similarBlank

Nice job mate. Looks good AFAIC.

Thanks. It's not official or anything, I just designed the image a couple of months ago and thought I'd add some text to it and post it here. Up to you if you want to use it or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    Untitled-4.png

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all the criticism and support thus far. Excuse the question, but in what form am I allowed to get involved in mHoC bills, amendments and petitions? Considering I am a non-member of the house or any official party.
    You can do everything but vote because you are not an MP, Fez is right with what he says, however, if you would like to write a bill, or a motion use my name as a seconder on anything that comes to mind; you will be allowed to submit legislation that way.

ReputationRep:
    jake4198
    Another nice one.

@Everyone

Im a moderator / administrator for a multiplayer medieval game, and the developers invited us to use a website called "Slack" to communicate with the game developers. A chat environment like this might be helpful in organizing this effort.

What would you say if I set up a group on Slack? (Owned by Google nowedays).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slack_(Software)

ReputationRep:
    jake4198
    Another nice one.

@Everyone

Im a moderator / administrator for a multiplayer medieval game, and the developers invited us to use a website called "Slack" to communicate with the game developers. A chat environment like this might be helpful in organizing this effort.

What would you say if I set up a group on Slack? (Owned by Google nowedays).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slack_(Software)
    I am incredibly excited by this....

ReputationRep:
    I'm the Leader of the Liberals, so obviously this party forming would be stealing a few votes off us, so I'm not over the moon

That being said, if you get the required members, I wish you all the best of luck. I also think this has a better chance than the Nat Libs of surviving. There's enough of a difference in policy (though my party does have right-libertarians) for it to be warranted.

Two quick questions - What would your stance on immigration and drug legalisation be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would be interested in seeing this party form, even though I think your ideologies are both naive and immoral - quite the combination!

ReputationRep:
    NOTICE: This is a thread designed purely to raise awareness about the project. We are not a member of the current model House of Commons.

Dear TSR members, readers and interested people, After being involved in many political discussions on TSR I came across the so-called model House of Commons (mHoC). After digging through several discussions and threads I have realised that there is no active Libertarian party on TSR, momentarily. My goal is to brign libertarian principles back to TSR. The thing is: WE NEED YOU!

What is a Libertarian?
    Libertarianism is a political philosophy that strongly advocates meritocracy, the idea that every human’s social status should be dictated by the skills and abilities that he/she has. If a person is an exceptional artist, then he should be rewarded more than a mediocre artist. Furthermore Libertarianism rests on the idea that every human can and should govern himself as long as he does not harm others. That includes: the right to abortion, maximum free-speech rights, the right to own guns for self-defence and sporting purposes, minimal government and an extraordinarily free market. The only purpose of the government, in the Libertarian philosophy, is to serve and protect countries peoples --- not the other way around. Above all however throwns the idea of unparalleled equality among the people.

Do you identify as a Libertarian?
    Then please feel free to make your voice heard by writing a message in this thread or contacting me via PM, so we can further the project. We cannot do it without support. In addition you can contact any friends on TSR who you think might be interested in joining this little political effort. Let us hope this project succeeds!

You do not have to agree with all of these points to be a libertarian; there are many different orientations within the movement.

Thank you for reading.
    Sincerely, Galaxie501

Current supporters:FireFreezer77 TercioOfParma similarBlank TitanCream AperfectBalance Insight314 jake4198 Nigel Farage MEP
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I apologies if this is the incorrect sub-forum. Please feel free to move it to the correct section. (Please dont hand out warnings).
    Good luck with it m8
    May the MHOC be ever in your favour

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. I would be happy to give support where I can as a dual member with the TSR Liberals to help get the party off the ground, pending Petros' approval of course. I was a great fan of the Libers when they were active - the true intellectual powerhouse of the MHoC in their heyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I'm the Leader of the Liberals, so obviously this party forming would be stealing a few votes off us, so I'm not over the moon

That being said, if you get the required members, I wish you all the best of luck. I also think this has a better chance than the Nat Libs of surviving. There's enough of a difference in policy (though my party does have right-libertarians) for it to be warranted.

Two quick questions - What would your stance on immigration and drug legalisation be?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. Good questions. Please keep in mind that the following are my personal views and there may be great variety among other libertarians.

Immigration:
    Thats one of few things that a government is responsible for (including but not limited to providing a legal system, a police and emergency force and a national security apparatus.)

Immigration needs to be controlled. Im not in favour of letting in thousands of untrained and uneducated immigrants. You have to cherry pick the good ones. Everything else would be immoral towards the domestic population. If there are lots of unused job positions for jobs that british people dont want to do then there is certainly an exception to be made.

Refugees: accepting actual refugees is a must - according to the UN definition. Economic and welfare migrants need to be kept out to not put a strain on the domestic safety net. On a sidenote: Im highly critical of Merkels refugee policy because she opened the door to hundreds of thousands of fighting aged men who are openly sexist, bigoted and racist (inherent hatred of Jews and western ideals).

If you want to immigrate to the west, then be prepared to accept western values, including free speech. Anyone who does not assimilate within a given amount of time should be re-assessed. The foundation for libertarianism is a working society with humanistic values and if you have people that try to destroy this very foundation then it can not work.

Drugs:
    Marijuana ..... even though I'm reluctant on "weed" legalization I'd be open to the idea in the future. So, possibly.

Other hard drugs? No!

(Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I would be interested in seeing this party form, even though I think your ideologies are both naive and immoral - quite the combination!
    We'll see about that :hat:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you. Good questions. Please keep in mind that the following are my personal views and there may be great variety among other libertarians.

Immigration:
    Thats one of few things that a government is responsible for (including but not limited to providing a legal system, a police and emergency force and a national security apparatus.)

Immigration needs to be controlled. Im not in favour of letting in thousands of untrained and uneducated immigrants. You have to cherry pick the good ones. Everything else would be immoral towards the domestic population. If there are lots of unused job positions for jobs that british people dont want to do then there is certainly an exception to be made.

Refugees: accepting actual refugees is a must - according to the UN definition. Economic and welfare migrants need to be kept out to not put a strain on the domestic safety net. On a sidenote: Im highly critical of Merkels refugee policy because she opened the door to hundreds of thousands of fighting aged men who are openly sexist, bigoted and racist (inherent hatred of Jews and western ideals).

If you want to immigrate to the west, then be prepared to accept western values, including free speech. Anyone who does not assimilate within a given amount of time should be re-assessed. The foundation for libertarianism is a working society with humanistic values and if you have people that try to destroy this very foundation then it can not work.

Drugs:
    Marijuana ..... even though I'm reluctant on "weed" legalization I'd be open to the idea in the future. So, possibly.

Other hard drugs? No!

We'll see about that :hat:
    What is the libertarian reasoning for banning drugs? Why should I not have the freedom to make an informed decision on which to use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    What is the libertarian reasoning for banning drugs? Why should I not have the freedom to make an informed decision on which to use?
    This doesn't sound very 'libertarian' at all lol

ReputationRep:
    TSR Labour legalised LSD. The new 'libertarian' party won't do that so why do we need one? We're already plenty libertarian.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe these guys will bring you back to the correct side.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you form I look forward to seeing you take part in the house for sure!

ReputationRep:
    I mean Galaxie is only one of the members listed so it will be interesting to see what the others have to say but from some of his responses it doesn't seem to me that he has really grasped the concept of Right Libertarianism.

Like I don't mean to be rude, you obviously have the right to identify yourself with whatever ideology you see fit, but what really differentiates your views from those of the Conservative Party?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saoirse:3)
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    This doesn't sound very 'libertarian' at all lol
    (Original post by cBay)
    I mean Galaxie is only one of the members listed so it will be interesting to see what the others have to say but from some of his responses it doesn't seem to me that he has really grasped the concept of Right Libertarianism.

Like I don't mean to be rude, you obviously have the right to identify yourself with whatever ideology you see fit, but what really differentiates your views from those of the Conservative Party?
    Its blatantly obvious that there has been no Libertarian party for a while - after reading this. Its important to understand that Libertarianism is a fairly large spectrum, ranging from the moderate left to the moderate right, and most certainly including centrists with a few right-leanings like myself. In fact, there are people in your current parties, respectively, that identify much more with libertarianism then with their current party.

Look at Ron Paul. He has been in the Republican party for a long time, even though he is much more of a Libertarian than every conservative republican around him.

What differentiates me from conservatives? The inherent love for individual freedom and the positions that not many conservatives (in real life at least) would accept. Including the right to prostitution and looser gun laws. The fact that you got a bill passed on the legalization of LSD is owed to the libertarian leanings of the respective supporters on that particular issue, and nothing else. RayApparently Who says the new libertarian party would have voted against something like this? I dont plan on being a one man party.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.