Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herz)
    What gives you that impression?

(I wasn't, by the way - I come from about as poor a background as you can so)
    Because you seem like my niece and nephews - privately educated and waiting for a job to land at their door. Not gonna happen.

You have to go out and get something - you have a great degree from brill uni. I don't know why you have a problem but `i do know that jobs don't come to you - you have to get them. I worked in Asda for a year, I packed catalogues in a factory and worked as a cleaner before I got a decent job - these things make you as a person*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    Because you seem like my niece and nephews - privately educated and waiting for a job to land at their door. Not gonna happen.

You have to go out and get something - you have a great degree from brill uni. I don't know why you have a problem but `i do know that jobs don't come to you - you have to get them. I worked in Asda for a year, I packed catalogues in a factory and worked as a cleaner before I got a decent job - these things make you as a person*
    Well I wouldn't say I'm being entitled "waiting for a job to fall in my lap"

I made this thread because i truly feel lost unsure of what i want to do or what options even are open to me. My impression is in the job market of today (in particular the graduate job market) without key experience such as internships or a more in-demand degree like engineering there isnt much down for you...

And im no stranger to lower level work im not sat around thinking anything but a dream job right now is beneath me

What do you do now if you dont mind and what degree did you get? (If you went to uni idk if youve said)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herz)
    I made this thread because i truly feel lost unsure of what i want to do or what options even are open to me. My impression is in the job market of today (in particular the graduate job market) without key experience such as internships or a more in-demand degree like engineering there isnt much down for you...
    You've really got to change your attitude - you are quite defeatist about everything you have said so far, and that's not going to help.

The admin work in the bank will help your job applications even if you go into something quite different. Recruiters like candidates with work experience, but in most cases it doesn't matter what the work experience is, it's about the transferable skills you have developed.

The direction you have given so far (challenging/work hard/research) is still quite broad and vague. Think about more of the tasks you like to go, how you like to work with people, what areas of business/society (if any) interest you.

Given you seem a bit lost (your words), maybe do a careers test and see what it suggests.

You could be recruited into the vast majority of grad programmes, but you are going to have to work harder to find your direction.

You might want to see if you are eligible for Bright Network or SEO. Given your state school background, you might be eligible to join their networks - they work with lots of different graduate recruiters and it might give you an opportunity to engage with them. Your background/academics would suggest you are eligible anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Herz)
    x
    Speech and language therapist - especially if you did any phonology/child language acquisition and have an interest. I believe it is a 1 year MSc. NHS and private exist, set up own practice one day, could even do elocution lessons for rich foreigners as a side gig.

ReputationRep:
    I got mentioned in this thread so I thought I'd give some advice. I've just graduated with a 2:1 in Chinese with Japanese and have landed myself a grad job in a private school.

My degree subject only dictated which department I'd be placed in in the school and my 2:1 was only to prove I was competent. They were just ticks in boxes.

What they were interested in most were what I'd done outside of the classroom. Obviously I had my year abroad, which you would have done too, but I also had a wide range of other things. I was an ambassador at uni and taught languages as a language assistant to students in local schools, gave presentations on the importance of languages in schools, shadowed actual language classes in schools, was secretary and social secretary of a society at uni and taught English in a summer school in China. These are the kind of thing that will help you fit the person spec-if you can't fit the person spec, they won't want to hire you.

It is essential you get some additional extra curricular activities, such as volunteering and the like to improve your chances.

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The biggest issue you have is not your degree (which is actually very useful), it is more your lack of career direction.You are going to be up against people who really want to do the job they are applying to, and will be able to articulate on an application form or interview why.Your very broad scope probably needs some narrowing down, and that is going to come with more research and possibly some more work experience.
    Definitely this :ditto:I was in OP's position, although I work in HR I did something totally different at university. Overtime I applied for jobs in a different field, prospective employers always questioned me why I don't want to go into that field anymore and I somehow managed to convince them.

However many people do it nowadays as its hard to get any job especially when you're a graduate with less experience in work.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    The biggest issue you have is not your degree (which is actually very useful), it is more your lack of career direction.You are going to be up against people who really want to do the job they are applying to, and will be able to articulate on an application form or interview why.Your very broad scope probably needs some narrowing down, and that is going to come with more research and possibly some more work experience.
    Definitely this :ditto: I was in OP's position, although I work in HR I did something totally different at university. Overtime I applied for jobs in a different field, employers always questioned me why I don't want to go into that field anymore and I somehow managed to convince them.

However many graduates look for jobs outside their field of expertise nowadays as its hard to get any job especially when you're a graduate with less experience in work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Not sure those languages are high up their list though
    The Foreign Office does not require you to know any foreign languages to apply, that only becomes important once you are already working there and want to get postings to a certain country that interests you. The British government has an embassy in most countries in the world, and it promotes British interests and business all over the globe. Anyway, most British Foreign Office staff work in London or other offices in the UK, and hundreds more work in the US, Canada, Australia, and other English speaking countries.

Besides, a family member of mine has worked on behalf of the British government in various African countries without learning a word of any African language. Much of the time the Foreign Office teaches people languages itself, it doesn't always expect people to know them already. For obvious reasons: most countries in the world outside the Americas have their own unique language. And besides, diplomatic service staff tend to switch between countries quite often.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.